Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What factors dictate "fast" and "slow" losers?

Are there certain things that dictate fast and slow? If I were to follow exactly, to a T, what my doctors say will I lose fast? I'm 5'3" 290 :(. My problem is Portion Control and emotional binge eating. I pretty much have no self control. When I've actually set my mind to a diet in the past, I lost quickly, but then my will power would get the best of me. I cut out diet soda on Friday and I've already lost 4lbs.

Experiences? Comments? Thanks in advance!!

It's a good question, I've asked it myself and my nutritionist assured me that even doing everything perfectly can result in "slow" loss. Everyone is different. I always was a slow loser and that hasn't really changed, it is just much easier post surgery for me. The bonus is after surgery, you will have a permanent restriction that should definitely help a Portion Control issue. You will feel full and satisfied on much less.

Emotional eating is something alot of us struggle with. And something you should try to get a handle on before surgery. Even though you'll be sleeved, you could still "binge" on foods that would ruin any diet plan. This is big step, it is permanent and uncompromising. It really boils down to choices, make good choices and you'll succeed.

The biggest motivation for me is knowing that if I stick to the plan, lose the weight I need to and make it to maintenance then it will be the last diet I'll ever have to be on. Surgery is only a tool to aid in the big picture. We all have to commit to the changes and follow through.

You can do this!! It is SOOOOOOO worth it, and you have a built in support system here. If you need motivation, you'll get it. Need an a**-kicking to get back on track... you'll get that too. All you have to do is ask.

Good luck Jessica!!

Height, muscle mass, and the amount you have to loose have a lot to do with weight loss. However each person is different. I am a slow looser, always have been. But I tend to loose inches first. All you can do is what your doctors/nutritionist tell you to do and be patient. The weight will come off. Keep your expectations in check.

I was sleeved 1 month ago and lost about 10lbs, which is great. Some people have lost at least double that. I've dropped almost two sizes.

Here is a great article on stalls, this really helped me not to freak out. Good Luck.

http://www.dsfacts.com/weight-loss-stall-or-plateau.html

Hate to say it, but the VST site is dominating by threads about slow losers. You hardly ever see a thread about a fast loser. So it is hard to say or answer your question. I would say a new VST reader would form the wrong opinion if all they read are all the slow loser threads. A lot of these people are losing 10, 15 or 30 lbs in 30 days! Come on, how does that even qualify as slow losing? Anything more than 2-3 lbs a week should be considered perfectly acceptable. Later on, 2 lbs a week is very good as you get closer to goal. Sometimes a whole month may go by where the scale does nothing. People need not be so hard on themselves. Take one day at a time and Celebrate on the small successes along the way!! And when weight loss does slow down, change is required. More Water, more Protein or more intense exercise for example.

Hate to say it, but the VST site is dominating by threads about slow losers. You hardly ever see a thread about a fast loser. So it is hard to say or answer your question. I would say a new VST reader would form the wrong opinion if all they read are all the slow loser threads. A lot of these people are losing 10, 15 or 30 lbs in 30 days! Come on, how does that even qualify as slow losing? Anything more than 2-3 lbs a week should be considered perfectly acceptable. Later on, 2 lbs a week is very good as you get closer to goal. Sometimes a whole month may go by where the scale does nothing. People need not be so hard on themselves. Take one day at a time and Celebrate on the small successes along the way!! And when weight loss does slow down, change is required. More Water, more Protein or more intense exercise for example.

I respectfully disagree with your first two sentences. Every time someone posts their one month success of double my weight loss in one month..I kind of want to punch a kitten ( I mean this figuratively..I love animals)! I see a lot of those type threads.

I think also people build this hype in their head on OMG I am getting sleeved so that means I will lose 100 pounds in a month...this also makes me want to punch kittens. I just keep telling myself that I didn't get fat overnight so I am not getting skinny overnight...whatever I lose weekly is what I lose. The difference this time is that it is gone forever :)

I respectfully disagree with your first two sentences. Every time someone posts their one month success of double my weight loss in one month..I kind of want to punch a kitten ( I mean this figuratively..I love animals)! I see a lot of those type threads.

I think also people build this hype in their head on OMG I am getting sleeved so that means I will lose 100 pounds in a month...this also makes me want to punch kittens. I just keep telling myself that I didn't get fat overnight so I am not getting skinny overnight...whatever I lose weekly is what I lose. The difference this time is that it is gone forever :)

Hehe.... What she said!!! I hate kittens! And I'm Lucky to lose 1 1/2 pounds a week....

Where's a cat!

Hehe.... What she said!!! I hate kittens! And I'm Lucky to lose 1 1/2 pounds a week....

Where's a cat!

What is wrong with 1-2 lbs a week?

Are there certain things that dictate fast and slow? If I were to follow exactly' date=' to a T, what my doctors say will I lose fast? I'm 5'3" 290 :(. My problem is Portion Control and emotional binge eating. I pretty much have no self control. When I've actually set my mind to a diet in the past, I lost quickly, but then my will power would get the best of me. I cut out diet soda on Friday and I've already lost 4lbs.

Experiences? Comments? Thanks in advance!![/quote']

Hi Jessica, I'm 5'3" as well and I started my pre-op diet on 2/4/13 at 296lbs. I was 285lbs on the day of surgery 2/13/13. I currently weigh in at 252! That is 46lbs down since pre-op and 33lbs down since surgery. I am 1 1/2 months post op. I feel like I have been losing pretty fast! I stalled at 2 weeks out and stayed stalled for about 2-3 weeks! Stalks happen but I'm happy with my loss thus far!

VSG Date: 2/13/13 SW:285lbs HW:302 5'3"

Fiddle I said IM LUCKY if I lose a pound a week!

I'd through a party if it was 1 to 2 pounds every week! :P

And invite all the kittens?!?! :P

You and me both sister!!

Here..... kitty.....kitty......:P

Rofl!!! I totally just woke up my dog by laughing so hard!!!

Im at the 2 week plateau, too, and doing everything by the "book"...any suggestions? (although I must say I am happy with losing 14 pounds in 14 days!) But now i have stalled out! Anybody got a jump start suggestion for us? I started walking again yesterday.....

Im at the 2 week plateau, too, and doing everything by the "book"...any suggestions? (although I must say I am happy with losing 14 pounds in 14 days!) But now i have stalled out! Anybody got a jump start suggestion for us? I started walking again yesterday.....

It may not be a "stall" At some point your body has to adjust. You're still very close to surgery and healing. Don't stress over a few days with no loss. I borrowed this link from Butterthebean's profile, http://www.dsfacts.com/weight-loss-stall-or-plateau.html

It is a good explanation on why the scale might not be moving.

Great start!! Good luck.

I am preop... 5'2ish lol... 255. I know for me... Carbs are my problem, and I was an emotional eater as well. I noticed when I was having a very stressful day all I wanted was junk food and luckily caught myself. It was hard at first but I repeatedly tell myself to do better and I can do it. If I eat to many carbs, my weight goes up and if I hardly eat any carbs, my weight goes down.