Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I feel fat in fitted clothes

Everyone has told me to buy new clothes but I when I wear them I feel fat. I prefer the loose fitting clothes maybe to still hide but it makes me feel skinnier. When the clothes fit I see all the bumps and rolls. It also reminds me of how uncomfortable I was before when I got dressed and nothing fit. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I see everyone taking these great pics with nice sexy outfits but I just don't feel comfortable in something that is fitted or even a little tight.

Yep.. I'm sitting here in my baggy jeans and hoody that is way to big for me. It will take me a long time before I'm comfy with myself.. If ever :/

I am pre-op but this is something I know I will struggle with. I am a big outdoors freak and everywhere I go I see these little small girls in mini shorts and hardly any shirt and I think "you call that fitted". Give me jeans and a t-shirt; the baggier the better. Of course then I think back to when I was 20lbs heavier in January and think I used to wear some of these cloths that are "comfortable" right now. I don't know but this has been a big thing on my mind since I started my weight loss journey. It makes me feel better that I am not the only one.

Please keep us updated and let us know if it gets any easier.

Thanks,

Ashley

I totally get it. When I wear something more fitted I feel like I can see all the rolls, and back fat. UGH! I'm getting better though. My daughter and step-daughter are both really good about giving me real feedback on how things fit. They both know what my "triggers" are and they will let me know if they can really see the back fat or if I'm just being overly sensitive about it. Can't ask my husband cause the tighter the better for him...LOL!! ;)

LOL.. Yes, my kids tend to greet me with, "seriously, Mom? And I know what's coming next ;)

Everyone has told me to buy new clothes but I when I wear them I feel fat. I prefer the loose fitting clothes maybe to still hide but it makes me feel skinnier. When the clothes fit I see all the bumps and rolls. It also reminds me of how uncomfortable I was before when I got dressed and nothing fit. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I see everyone taking these great pics with nice sexy outfits but I just don't feel comfortable in something that is fitted or even a little tight.

Maybe you don't right now, but when you get down to around 170 or so, you will. Now, I tend to carry all of my weight "up top" (apple shaped) Never had a butt of hips per se. So I tend to STILL wear looser fitting tops and go for bigger sweaters until a friend said, "Stop that!" Buy YOUR size now! lol But I sure like putting on my pencil skirts now and find that I can't bring myself to wear even an A line skirt because I FEEL fatter. (head stuff !)

Hang in there! But just know that even now, almost 3 years out and basically been at goal for about 2 years, I "think" of myself as a fat girl. WE do it to ourselves. Others see us differently.

Good luck!

I feel your pain. I feel like a can if biscuits in smaller clothes. But the way my bigger clothes fit looks really bad on me so I wear the smaller clothes. The only baggy thing I have that doesn't look like I was swallowed by fabric is my basketball shorts and t shirts. My jeans look like I have an overly full diaper on and my other tips just hang.

I don't recall seeing a rule book about what you can or can't wear (Tim Gunn aside). You wear what makes you feel good.

As far as some of the tight, "sexy" clothes that have been shared in some photo updates.....Don't use those as inspiration if that isn't "you." I wouldn't wear some of those things walking around in my house with no one else at home much less outside of the house.

I personally have little interest in dressing "sexy." One person's "sexy" is another person's cheap and slutty. Maybe you want to dress to feel sporty or feminine, sassy or polished, trendy or tailored.

Write your own rule book as you go.

Oh Yeah. I know exactly what you mean. I'm still wearing stuff way too big to work...I call them my work pajamas. I can't keep doing it though, they are way too big. So, I have been collecting things that fit, and starting next week, I'm going to start wearing things that fit. It also reminds me of when I didn't have anything to wear because nothing fit - I'm still struggling to put together a decent wardrobe! However, I'll take this problem over the other any day ;) I plan to wear this set of clothes for another 2-3 sizes until they are way too big. At home, I lounge in way too big sweat pants. I guess I'm a work in progess, and it will work itself out.

I am having the nothing fits but I'll be damnes if I'm gonna buy bigger bc I'm pre-op

allons-y