Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Looking for opinions.....

I went in for a fill Tuesday (not Dr K) and the surgeon told me that only eating 600-700 calories a day is fine. He said " people in concentration camps ate less than that and still lost weight" (On a seperate note I found that somewhat disturbing and inappropriate....not sure why... maybe it's just me???? :scared2:)

He said that whole body going into startvation mode is just a wives tail.

Any thoughts on this????

Also....

Since the fill I have been gurgling in my throat when drinking water... I thought that meant you might be a bit overfilled...but I can eat popcorn. Go figure.

I don't agree with your doctor. I know that you can lose on ultra low calories, but over the long term it just damages your metabolism. Your body forces itself to become used to living on very low cals. I believe this to be true and then when you're at goal and you would like to eat 1200 calories or a little more, you cannot without gaining weight. Can a person eat a balanced diet on 600-800 cals? Are they able to eat fruit, veggies, whole grains and Proteins? I don't think so. WE all want to lose weight, but do we want to damage our bodies in the process? Our bodies need all the nutrients that other's need. We can't obtain all of our Vitamins and minerals from a pill.

For many years through high school and college, I lived on restricted diets. I'd go 4 or more days with eating only 300- 400 cals. Then I'd do liquid fasts. I'd lose and keep it off as long as I kept my cals extremely restricted. As soon as I ate anything - anything at all, I'd gain. The same is true for people who lose a lot of weight with things like Optifast. Oprah lost all of that weight. She said, that the day after her coming out show - when she had that wagon filled with all of fat equalling all the weight she lost - she ate a real Breakfast and a real lunch and no dinner - she gained 5 lbs. People told her that was impossible, but her doctor told her exactly what I had said, that her body had to slow it's metabolism way down to maintain life and energy - it became used to sustaining life on 400-600 cals a day. Oprah learned at that time, she would never do another one of those diets. Luther Vandross lived on those diets. He'd lose weight fast on the Optifasts and other restrictive diets and then gain it back. It was a vicious cycle for him. He died a young man of a stroke.

Just some food for thought.

I agree I think it was pretty rude to compare obese people to the poor jews in the comcentration camps.

Lastly, popcorn is a slider food for me. Does the Water griggle up after you've eaten or on an empty stomach? When I have perfect restriction the Water griggles up when I drink after that 1 hour post meals.

I am just getting more and more amazed at what doctors do and say. Yea, I agree the comment was out of line. Yes, they lost weight because the sawdust bread diet worked. They broke down all their fat, muscle and organs to survive. You don't get enough calories, your body will do whatever it has to to survive. So, yes, you will lose weight, but you will gain it back with a vengence when you try and eat again.

After my fill experience, I can't have anything gurgling up my esophagus. Fluid should just go through. It will take a couple weeks for the damage to heal. I just think as long as I am eating like I should and losing the weight, I will hold off on another fill. I honestly don't think that at four weeks out my body was ready either. I don't ever feel hungry, but I do feel the need to eat, or I know it's time to eat because I start getting dizzy as a reminder. I also never feel full, but I don't eat a large amount at one time as I am afraid I'll cack something up. What I am really trying to work on is getting not only enough calories, but get my Protein intake up. That has been the most difficult thing for me.

I am just getting more and more amazed at what doctors do and say. Yea, I agree the comment was out of line. Yes, they lost weight because the sawdust bread diet worked. They broke down all their fat, muscle and organs to survive. You don't get enough calories, your body will do whatever it has to to survive. So, yes, you will lose weight, but you will gain it back with a vengence when you try and eat again.

After my fill experience, I can't have anything gurgling up my esophagus. Fluid should just go through. It will take a couple weeks for the damage to heal. I just think as long as I am eating like I should and losing the weight, I will hold off on another fill. I honestly don't think that at four weeks out my body was ready either. I don't ever feel hungry, but I do feel the need to eat, or I know it's time to eat because I start getting dizzy as a reminder. I also never feel full, but I don't eat a large amount at one time as I am afraid I'll cack something up. What I am really trying to work on is getting not only enough calories, but get my Protein intake up. That has been the most difficult thing for me.

Try eating higher Protein foods first and foremost. They will keep you satiated longer and you'll lose faster! I haven't had a fill since December and I still have good restriction. Who knows why? We are all so different. My first fill wasn't until about 9 weeks post op (I think) -- because I just didn't need it. Head hunger is the worst for me at times -- I know I'm not hungry physically, but it's boredom or just a craving for something to chew on! I've purchased a lot of fruit and I just will eat a handful of strawberries, blackberries or a half of a pear if I get that head hunger. I know that is probably a bad habit for me to have, but I figure fruit is good and it's better than junk!

Good luck with your healing. Have you tried the Premier Nutrition Protein Drinks from costco? 30 grams of protein and they really taste good. I am one that hates almost all protein drinks. Truly, this is one that I can tolerate.

I also never feel full, but I don't eat a large amount at one time as I am afraid I'll cack something up.

I love your term, "cack something up". That seems more accurate than pb'ing. I'm gonna use that from now on. Anytime I eat meat that's too dry, I cack it up...like a hair ball.

My mom just signed us all up for the YMCA. It doesn't open until September, but that's ok. Because of my skin cancer wound, I won't be able to get in the pool until then. I have joint problems, so doing regular aerobics and using some of the machines isn't possible.

We don't have costco here. We have Sam's. Most premade drinks use that same liquid base, which I cannot stand. I am trying Protein Bars now that I can work on eating more solid food. I am going to cook up a roast and grind it up for meat salad. I've been eating a lot of prepared foods, which have a lot of salt, and not a lot of solid stuff. My GERD is still bothering me, but it takes a couple weeks or so for the symptoms to go away once I have an "attack". I really think they were just doing a fill because it was on schedule. I am not going in for another one any time soon. They want to do several small fills over the next few months. I don't think so. I don't see a reason to get a fill just to be a fill on schedule.

Yea, laptastic, my best friend has the band and I've seen her and that is exactly what it reminded me of. I don't want to have that, so I have been slow in even attempting anything new.

Deb - 10lbs-2.2:lol:

Lapdancer - 25lbs

Laptastic - 10lbs

KayleighsMommy - 10lbs

Mini - 10lbs

Party - 20lbs-6.6:lol:

I'm going out of town today, I'll have internet access, but I won't have use of a scale. So I weighed this morning and this is my weight loss for the last week! 6.6 Pounds! I hope I can keep up that pace!

Tomorrow just weigh and post your loss! I'm looking forward to this challenge!

Edited by PrtyAntOvrYt

As some of you know, I've been eating a lot of recipes from "Cook Yourself Thin" - it's a cookbook from the Lifetime show of the same name. They take recipes from everyday life and tweak them to make them low fat and low calorie. Some are pretty high in carbs, but I just avoid those ones. They use a lot of whole wheat - whole unprocessed foods, which I appreciate.

Anyway, they say take the weight you should be weighing (normal BMI is 18-25) And eat the calories to get you to that weight. It's easy math. My normal weight should be 129-174. So I can safely eat 1290 to 1740 calories. Take the weight and multiply it by 10. I want to get there faster than not, so I'm doing 1290 calories. But I'm not counting calories that come from raw fruit or veggies. I'm still working out and I lost 6.6lbs this week. Maybe there is something to it. I'm just really fearful of slowing my metabolism down too low - and not being able to eat normally once I get to goal (new norm, not my old norm)

I remember when I consulted with Dr. K the first time for my Lap Band. He told me, "You're going to have a new norm." -- he's right, I do! I love it!

Edited by PrtyAntOvrYt

good job, dee!

put me down for -2.2

well, as we were setting up for upcoming garage msale on saturday, a bumblebee flew directly into my face stinging me on the left eye. within an hour , my eyelid and such looked like a pink ping pong ball! then overnight the swelling moved to include the area below my eye as well. needless to say, i do look very attractive!

good job, dee!

put me down for -2.2

well, as we were setting up for upcoming garage msale on saturday, a bumblebee flew directly into my face stinging me on the left eye. within an hour , my eyelid and such looked like a pink ping pong ball! then overnight the swelling moved to include the area below my eye as well. needless to say, i do look very attractive!

OH no! just be careful you don't get cellulitis from the sting. if it doesn't start improving or it gets worse, see the doctor.

Great job on your weight loss! Wow!

Lapdancer - 25lbs

Laptastic - 10lbs

KayleighsMommy - 10lbs

Mini - 10lbs

I'm going out of town today, I'll have internet access, but I won't have use of a scale. So I weighed this morning and this is my weight loss for the last week! 6.6 Pounds! I hope I can keep up that pace!

Tomorrow just weigh and post your loss! I'm looking forward to this challenge!

Goooooo Dee. Woo hoo.

For the record I am down 3.3 lbs.

I went out on Saturday for a full day of shopping with my mother. I walked and walked and walked for hours. I was sweating like a cotton picker ( that isn't racist that's my family's former occupation when they farmed ). Mother looked at me in the store and my face was bright red and sweating. She said, "are you doing okay}..I said I was. I was most proud to be able to go go go for so long. Then Sunday

I slept. FOlks, I slept not just a little bit, I slept until 6 PM Sunday night. I missed my meds intake. I lost a whole day.

Onward we go.

I'm down 1 pound, which is a miracle. I went to Vegas and ate and drank too much...but came back and got back on track immediately with exercize and good grub.

I didn't get in on the challenge cuz I was out of town all last week, but I want to set my goal as 5lbs.

I am down 1 lb this week.

My weight loss might be slowing down even more now. I was just getting over the physical stress of my Dad passing, and now my DH just got laid off. Now I have been trying to find a job all summer with no luck, and now he has none either. We are in for a rough time now, so there is no way I can afford fills once I adjust to the stress.

I didn't get in on the challenge cuz I was out of town all last week, but I want to set my goal as 5lbs.

I am down 1 lb this week.

My weight loss might be slowing down even more now. I was just getting over the physical stress of my Dad passing, and now my DH just got laid off. Now I have been trying to find a job all summer with no luck, and now he has none either. We are in for a rough time now, so there is no way I can afford fills once I adjust to the stress.

Marie,

I'll add you to the challenge! OH NO! I am so sorry about your DH's job! That's just horrible! I cannot imagine what you guys must be dealing with. These economic times are so hard on us. I will remember him and you in my prayers. I hope something good will come around for both of you. Don't give up!

I'm down 1 pound, which is a miracle. I went to Vegas and ate and drank too much...but came back and got back on track immediately with exercize and good grub.

Good for you! Are you back to the Water Aerobics? Did you have fun in Vegas?

Goooooo Dee. Woo hoo.

For the record I am down 3.3 lbs.

Onward we go.

Congrats Patty! sleeping and missing an entire day sounds like me! I do that all of the time, but mostly because I work nights! Your weight loss is good and steady!

Lapdancer - 25lbs-3.3:lol:

Laptastic - 10lbs-1.0:lol:

Lotza - 5lbs-1.0:lol:

KayleighsMommy - 10lbs

Mini - 10lbs

Okay Mini and K's Mom-- we're waiting for your total! I hope everything is going well!:bored:

Good for you! Are you back to the Water Aerobics? Did you have fun in Vegas?

Had a great time in Vegas. Yes, I'm doing water aerobics 6 days a week...until school starts. I have to go back to work on Aug. 3, so that means I can't do the morning workouts. I'll be doing the water stuff three times a week and will have to do something else on the other nights when it's not offered. Thinking of trying Zumba. Anyone here try it? It sounds like fun.