Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Hello All!

A shout out to the new banditos. Way to go and welcome.:lovechoc:

First, had a slight increase in weight early in the week so my weight start was 307. Really hovering over that same spot which is just nerve wracking. :P:scared2: I'm pretty confident that it has to do with these medication changes.* more on that below

Those in pain: Tylenol PM liquid. Be aware it does make you sleepy but that can be good for those who are in discomfort right after banding.

I take capsuled medication which, of course, disolves quickly. You can ask the pharmacist if this is an option for you and explain your new gastric status to them. Look on the outside of a bottle for gel caps. I have never had a problem with these.

Physical Therapy is at three times a week and I did have a doctor's visit in there. Pain from the back is still present. Still weak. but 'whutevah' :eek: I know this too will pass.

For those who have back trouble and no stamina yet to exercise, (me), I call this my BEDCERCIZE.

You can lay on your side with a pillow between your legs folded in half. Press your thighs together, hold, count to five, release. Repeat 15 times.

Lay on your back (yeah) Press your navel mentally towards the mattress holding your stomach in at the center. Tighten in. Hold, count to five, release. The trick is breathing right for this one. Breath in first, deep breath, breath out and pull in, hold. Inhale. Repeat 15 times.

Roll over on your stomach, repeat the above exercise pushing the navel into the mattress (oppostive)

Got a TENS unit. This is the electrical device that has tabs that stick to the areas that hurt on your back. It can deliver electrical stimulation. I clip this on to my waistband and turn it on and off throughout the day. THIS HAS HELPED SO MUCH. :tt1:

MORE TO COME>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Mini, I know not very much food at all. As I am sitting here now trying to drink a Protein Shake and having trouble for some reason. I have been really stressed out lately, I wonder if that could be affecting me.?

Well, another busy day for me. I have to take the older one Homecoming dress shopping...than the younger one has a football game to cheer at at 2:45 and than she is having a sleepover, luckily that is at the other girls house. Maybe Rach and I will go out for a nice dinner just the 2 of us. Not that I can really eat anything... Hope everyone has a great Saturday.

Hi Everybody,

On the pill issue, Dr. k did tell me that capsules were ok, but all pills must be crushed.

i'm still feeling icky - no energy, and some pain. The Protein Drinks that I usually like just did not taste good. I'm going to try some grits this morning.

I have a feeling like mild heartburn all the time, as if I swallowed a small piece of ice.

Tell me this will all go away soon!!!

Hello my friends and welcome to the new friends!

Shelbi....you can eat steel cut oats as your carb at every meal if you want on BFL. Isn't that the yummiest stuff ever?

Yeah, baby, on the steel oats! Can't live without 'em! I am IN on the BFL!! Just hope I can complete the whole 12 weeks~~ still reading the book. What type of tracking system do you personally use? I'm getting my plan together now! When is our start date? Who all is down for the BFL?

Thanks, Marcy! I will give that a try. I hate the yucky rash. I don't know about you, but it's stinky too! Wow, can't believe I'm actually discussing this on the internet, but I guess if anybody might be able to relate it would be people here!

Mini & Marcy-- Confession time: Hello, my name is ShelbiCallie and I get yeast in my belly button. It is stinky and gross. There I said it for all of the interwebs. I put alcohol in there, but I'm going to try Marcy's suggestion!

Happy Friday everyone! Pray for me - Tropical Storm Hanna is on her way to NC! :shades_smile:

Hey homey, I saw on the news where your area had 5" of rain and some power outages. Hope you're ok. We only got some minor wind and rain -- nothing major. Looks like Ike is taking the Andrew route this time, lucky us, but I'm worried for our FL peeps.

Were you around for the Floyd/Fran double whammy a few years back? My Barkley became homeless (we think) during that time and was a stray for about a year in the Rocky Mount area that was hit so hard with floods. He was rescued and then fostered by the NC Lab Rescue until we were approved for his adoption. I wish he could tell me what happened to him. The only mental scar I can see is that he is afraid of riding in a boat. Strange for a lab, eh? my fellow lab folks??

Hi All,

Ack, the last 24 hours has not been so fun. With the anesthesia wearing off I'm having more pain, still sleepy a lot too. Am trying to only take tylenol so I can stay awake for more than 2 hours at a time.

had some Tomato Soup today - what a treat!

Hope you're feeling better, Denver!

Here was a confusing thing - he asked me what size band I had and I said 10cc. He asked if I meant 10cm? I said I thought it was a band that holds 10cc. He said that would be a pretty big band for me . . . . so now I need to find my paper work cuz I'm confused.

I thought I had a 10cc band, too! What's up with that?

That's a rough one. I think I could probably pound down milk shakes all day long. Why is it that the bad stuff is sooooo easy to eat?

Mini & Hotmomma -- I'm there with ya. The bad stuff is so easy. The "good for ya" stuff is time consuming! Hotmomma, keep working on those Protein Shakes ~~ sounds like you need the Protein AND the fluids if you're thirsty.

Joining in on the crushing meds discussion -- I crush everything that's not chewable, except my Pristiq because it's an extended release and small. Dr. K never told me to, but I learned from Dee and she's my hero, so I follow her advice. (I am serious about this Dee!)

Need a Munchkin update!

Need a Deb/Tucker update!

Happy Saturday peeps, I'm scraping 3 layers of wallpaper today! (I removed crappy paneling and a dropped ceiling yesterday)Care to join me?? My motivation is the beautiful original wood I found underneath!!

Edited by ShelbiCallie
It's were not we're! And my spacing! Egads! And there's an English teacher in our midst! :)

Hi Everybody,

On the pill issue, Dr. k did tell me that capsules were ok, but all pills must be crushed.

i'm still feeling icky - no energy, and some pain. The Protein drinks that I usually like just did not taste good. I'm going to try some grits this morning.

I have a feeling like mild heartburn all the time, as if I swallowed a small piece of ice.

Tell me this will all go away soon!!!

Hey Denver, we're posting at the same time. Sorry you're still feeling poorly. I hope the warmth of the grits will help. Rest this weekend; your energy will come back. Keep us posted on the mild heartburn feeling; I don't remember having that -- maybe someone else will have a suggestion.

Hey homey, I saw on the news where your area had 5" of rain and some power outages. Hope you're ok. We only got some minor wind and rain -- nothing major. Looks like Ike is taking the Andrew route this time, lucky us, but I'm worried for our FL peeps.

Were you around for the Floyd/Fran double whammy a few years back? My Barkley became homeless (we think) during that time and was a stray for about a year in the Rocky Mount area that was hit so hard with floods. He was rescued and then fostered by the NC Lab Rescue until we were approved for his adoption. I wish he could tell me what happened to him. The only mental scar I can see is that he is afraid of riding in a boat. Strange for a lab, eh? my fellow lab folks??

Hey buddy! We are alive and well this morning after TS Hanna knocked on our door last night. I guess we got a lot of rain, but to be honest, I heard the wind blowing twice - and that's it. It wasn't nearly as bad as they were predicting!

I certainly was around for the Floyd/Fran era. That was my freshman year of HS! :teeth_smile: We had a huge tree in our front yard get uprooted and thrown into the front of the house, breaking several windows and ripping down our front porch. So Hanna was NOTHING like Fran.

In other more disturbing news, a woman was found dead this morning in a house in our neighborhood. I could throw a rock and hit that house, it's so close! The police haven't said it's a homicide yet, but they're on the hunt for the husband, who has somehow gone missing...

This of course comes just two months after a woman went missing and was found dead only two miles from here. I'm sure anyone in NC has heard of the Nancy Cooper case. Here's hoping this new death doesn't turn out to be as bad as that case has been!

Cheers everyone, I'm off to enjoy a college football game. Go Wolfpack!!! :shades_smile:

Boy, i've wanted to comment and report but the site wouldn't accept my password and it has taken 2-3 days to get it straightened out:tongue_smilie:Anyway, congrats to Denver for surviving the first few days. I stuck with Vitarain by Kirkland, SF Jello and jello pudding, Tomato Soup, steamed veggies, oatmeal, etc. for several days. Right now am thinking about going back to it since I am stuck here at 25.6 lost for a few days with eating "normal" food! Will jumpstart something, I am sure.

Update on Tucker: Well, he still has pneumonia, but the dr. said yesterday there really isn't anything else they can do since he won't eat. therefore, doc said we should take him home to see if being at home would calm him enough that he would eat. we have a shit load of drugs to give him, but can't if he won't eat. His breathing has been very steady and "normal" since he has been home, just a few bouts of panting. Wouldn't eat last night or this morning, but am happy to report 15 minutes ago I handfed him about 2 ounces of cooked hamburger!:teeth_smile::lol: Not much but a start! Hopefully, my boy is on his road to food and good health! Thanks again to all of you who prayed, chanted, lit candles, etc. he had great people all over the US rooting for him:thumbup:

My first fill with Dr. K is Tuesday, sept. 23. My plane arrives at about 11:30 am and I am renting a car. Appt isn't until 3:00 and my plane doesn't leave until 9PM. Anyone up for a quick bite in early afternoon or evening. I sure would like to put a face to all these smart-ass comments....er...I mean all these great conversationalists!!:shades_smile:

Deb, I'm so happy to hear that Tucker is home! YAYYYY!!! I'm sure he'll be feeling better in no time. And his mom will too!

Jaime, I'm very happy to hear that you weren't affected too terribly by the storm. How frightening that must be!

Shelbi, we must both be in fall "nesting" mood. We just ripped out a drop ceiling too and are putting up sheetrock, painting, and putting in new floor in the basement.

Lap, I'm happy that the TENS is helping. And the bedzercise is a great idea!!

Dee, how are you feeling this afternoon?

And I might go back to my regular Vitamin instead of the chewables. I can't stand them!

Tastes about as appealing as licking rusty nails.

Mini, I know not very much food at all. As I am sitting here now trying to drink a Protein Shake and having trouble for some reason. I have been really stressed out lately, I wonder if that could be affecting me.?

I have a feeling it has to do with stress, the effect that has on the stomach and tightening and added acids.

Well, another busy day for me. I have to take the older one Homecoming dress shopping...than the younger one has a football game to cheer at at 2:45 and than she is having a sleepover, luckily that is at the other girls house. Maybe Rach and I will go out for a nice dinner just the 2 of us. Not that I can really eat anything... Hope everyone has a great Saturday.

lHave fun! Sleepovers were so fun!!

Hi Everybody,

On the pill issue, Dr. k did tell me that capsules were ok, but all pills must be crushed. i'm still feeling icky - no energy, and some pain. The Protein drinks that I usually like just did not taste good. I'm going to try some grits this morning. I have a feeling like mild heartburn all the time, as if I swallowed a small piece of ice. Tell me this will all go away soon!!!

lt will go away soon! Your stomach will become less sensative as time goes on. Just a few weeks is all.

Hello my friends and welcome to the new friends!

Yeah, baby, on the steel oats! Can'

luck with this! You all sound very excited for the added adventure.

Mini & Marcy-- Confession time: Hello, my name is ShelbiCallie and I get yeast in my belly button. It is stinky and gross. There I said it for all of the interwebs. I put alcohol in there, but I'm going to try Marcy's suggestion!

l know EXACTLY what you are talking about here. What's up with that???? All of a sudden I got the 'Belly Funk'. I put perfume in there a..ahahhahahah...stung but smelled lovely.

Need a Munchkin update!

Need a Deb/Tucker update!

Happy Saturday peeps, I'm scraping 3 layers of wallpaper today! (I removed crappy paneling and a dropped ceiling yesterday)Care to join me?? My motivation is the beautiful original wood I found underneath!!

Hey buddy! We are alive and well this morning after TS Hanna knocked on our door last night. I guess we got a lot of rain, but to be honest, I heard the wind blowing twice - and that's it. It wasn't nearly as bad as they were predicting!

I certainly was around for the Floyd/Fran era. That was my freshman year of HS! :thumbs_up: We had a huge tree in our front yard get uprooted and thrown into the front of the house, breaking several windows and ripping down our front porch. So Hanna was NOTHING like Fran.

In other more disturbing news, a woman was found dead this morning in a house in our neighborhood. I could throw a rock and hit that house, it's so close! The police haven't said it's a homicide yet, but they're on the hunt for the husband, who has somehow gone missing...

This of course comes just two months after a woman went missing and was found dead only two miles from here. I'm sure anyone in NC has heard of the Nancy Cooper case. Here's hoping this new death doesn't turn out to be as bad as that case has been!

Cheers everyone, I'm off to enjoy a college football game. Go Wolfpack!!! :shades_smile:

Boy, i've wanted to comment and report but the site wouldn't accept my password and it has taken 2-3 days to get it straightened out:tongue_smilie:Anyway, congrats to Denver for surviving the first few days. I stuck with Vitarain by Kirkland, SF Jello and jello pudding, Tomato Soup, steamed veggies, oatmeal, etc. for several days. Right now am thinking about going back to it since I am stuck here at 25.6 lost for a few days with eating "normal" food! Will jumpstart something, I am sure.

Update on Tucker: Well, he still has pneumonia, but the dr. said yesterday there really isn't anything else they can do since he won't eat. therefore, doc said we should take him home to see if being at home would calm him enough that he would eat. we have a shit load of drugs to give him, but can't if he won't eat. His breathing has been very steady and "normal" since he has been home, just a few bouts of panting. Wouldn't eat last night or this morning, but am happy to report 15 minutes ago I handfed him about 2 ounces of cooked hamburger!:teeth_smile::lol: Hopefully, my boy is on his road to food and good health! Thanks again to all of you who prayed, chanted, lit candles, etc. he had great people all over the US rooting for him:thumbup: This comes a GREAT news. I would give your boy 'cookie bones' and whatever fancy feasting he wanted. My co-worker actually makes roast for him! (she loves to cook and her kids are all gone).

Lap, I'm happy that the TENS is helping. And the bedzercise is a great idea!!quote]

THANKS!!

Houston (squawk) I think we are go for launch (sqwauk)...I can report thrust is good, repeat THRUST IS GOOD..been hitting the can all morning and mid-afternoon...

I do believe

the change in meds.

is working:thumbup:

Deb~ YEAH! So glad to hear Tucker is home and he ATE. Woot!! Hopefully his recovery will be speedy from here on out.

Again on the pills subject. This is the one thing that really bothers me about having surgery out of state. I do not feel like I have been informed 100% on what I can and can't do.

Can I use a straw or not?

Can I have carbonation or not?

Is popcorn bad or not?

Should I crush all my pills or not?

Etc.. etc.. etc.

Finding the answers on here is NOT how I want to manage my lap band. Every surgeon is different and every one of my questions would receive a different answer.

I know it is as simple as an email or phone call for an answer, but I really feel like there should have been a packet that was handed out that covered EVERYTHING. A 20 minute consult prior to surgery that covered the surgery did not, and does not, cut it. I do feel a bit like I was left hanging.

Right now my fill level is still open enough that pills do not bother me. I am going to ask my new surgeon his policy when I go in for a fill on the 17th. I can see how if I got tighter, pills could/would be a problem.

I am thankful that I finally found a surgeon local who will do my followup care and he seems on the ball. I think I will have to write down my questions on a sheet of paper and fire squad him next time I see him.

Sometimes I really feel like I am floundering around. If it wasn't for this support thread, I would be SOOO lost.

Well, I am happy to report that Rach got a lovely Homecoming dress. Beautiful blue with black accents hits just above the knee. Plus we got a smoking deal, it was originally $185 marked down to $111 than 60% off ended up being $44. We also got a Prom dress (I know a little early it's not until April) But we got a deal on that as well and she just fell in love with it. It was $265 on sale for $150 than 60% off so it ended up being $60 + $8 shipping (had to come from San Fran). So basically I got 2 dresses for the price of one. YEAH MOM!!!!!! we got all the accessories covered too. Her bra ended up costing more than either dress, $76 for a stickin' bra, you got to be kiddin me... WTF.

On a side note, note to self Sushi is not band compatible for me. We went to sushi after a long day shopping and boy did I get stuck and I got stuck real bad. I am thinking I might need a slight unfill just to get past this, I have really been having a time lately not really getting stuck but not being able to eat all that much to begin with. It seems that I take a few bites and then I am full. But within a few hrs, sometimes as little as 1 hour I am hungry again. It's just a stupid cycle that I need to break somehow. Do you think a slight unfill might help me eat a little more and than stay hungry longer? That sounds funny, right? Please any advice would be appreciated.:thumbup:

Ador, Love, Love, Love the glasses. I hear you on the things that I missed or didn't get during my consult and I do my follow-up care with Dr. K. I have never heard anything from dr. k about not drinking through a straw, except right after my surgery. I did hear about not drinking carbonated drinks, but I have had a beer or two and nothing has happened. Plus I was in the office one day talking to Natalie and she was drinking a Teva drink and it had light carbonation, she sd that a little doesn't hurt. As for the pills I do remember Dr. k saying that they had to be crushed but I have swallowed some on accident and not had a problem. Not really big pills, but advil I just take gel caps. They should put an updated pamplet together to answer all these questions.

P.S. I eat popcorn all the time, I love the 100 calorie packs and eat them for dinner a lot. With lots of butter of course. I know fat, fat, fat. But it tastes good and is easy to get down.:thumbup:

Denise~ AWESOME job on the deals. Woot! I would have shopped early for prom if I got smoking deals like that!

As for your fill level, it sounds to me like you are too tight. You are getting full too quickly, so you are not even getting enough in to sustain you for 4 hours. It also sounds like you get stuck a lot. That has got to be frustrating. What does Tom say when you go in? Iknow you have skipped the last few fills... but does he think a slight unfill might help?

At least give it a shot. If it gets you rolling again then awesome. If it isn't helping, go in for another tweak. Must be nice to be able to take advantage of the $15 fills. :thumbup:

I just wanted to add... so no one yells at me... lol... that I still love Dr K! He was there for me when I started having pains (gallbladder) in the beginning and called me right back, talked with my surgeon in flagstaff via phone, and called on a Sunday to check up on me. He is a VERY compassionate Dr. A very skilled Dr.

I knew when I made the decision to go out of state that I was going to have to be very proactive about my care here if I chose not to fly back to Denver for follow-up. I also knew that by being a self pay, and bypassing pre op testing, psychological testing, support groups etc... that my journey was going to be a bit harder.

Guess I didn't realize how easy it was going to be to feel so alone sometimes.