Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Deb had asked me if I was on low carb yet for Dr. K. At what point before surgery does he ask you to start that? Should I be doing it now? Any rules about the diet, or just "low carb"?

They should send you a list of the foods not allowed. I was worried that my liver would not shrink enough so I actually did no carbs and no sugar at all. I lost 9lbs in 10 days. Ask the office to email you the list.

Yup Lotza is right! And unless I am mistaken they expect you to do NO Carbs, complex or simple - and that includes all sugar.... white, brown or otherwise.

He is pretty clear with all of us, if he gets in there and the liver is not the way it should be from following the pre-op diet, he will close you up without giving you the band.

He has had to do that once in the past.

How are you doing Lotza? Are you feeling good?

BTW Denver, with your BMI you'll probably only need to be on it for one week. Dr. K. told me one week, then Paula said 10 days, but to be on the safe side I did it for 2 weeks anyway. I only lost 3 lbs though. Go figure.

It wasn't hard at all . . . meat and veggies. Yummy.

Pix: You guys look great!!

Lap: love that smilin' baby!

Mini: I want a trip like that!

Denver: He told me no potatoes, no rice, no bread, and one more high carb thing I can't remember right now:frown: So it wasn't absolutely NO carbs as many veggies have carbs...but just think meat and veggies and you will be fine.

I called and paid my final $9800 today. Have to say I am getting nervous, guys. Don't know what about exactly...probably the immediate time after and the travel home, although the flight isn't that long. I guess I fear I won't have the right stuff around the house after surgery. I have had a couple of sleepless nights over this (in addition to the ones concerning Tucker.)

Update on the Tuck-man: Emergency hospital called yesterday to report on the bacteria culture they took from the wound around the trach. hole.

It is E.Coli, so the Clavanox they had him on was doing no good. He needs a new antibiotic. Called Dr. Jeff as I was concerned about the E.Coli; he said "No worries! E.Coli is everywhere." The meds, however, are something else!! A 10-DAY SERIES: $124...the tech called the company "Nazis" as they have monopoly on this particular drug and charge 4 times its worth:cursing::cursing::angry:

Phone just rang: A/C in my truck: $1100.:scared2::scared2: Boy, I am glad I have good credit as that is $10,000 just today!:ohmy:

Thanks all for the advice on the no carb diet. My consult is 8/8, so that will give me 3 weeks to get my liver in tip-top shape. At this point if he told me I had to exist on nothing but brussel sprouts I would say okey-dokey. I am so tired of feeling the way I feel every day. I even have jewelry that doesn't fit! Isn't that crazy.

Brandy -- I totally agree with you on the last 20 lbs. That has been the hardest ot get rid of. I have been lazy these last 2 weeks though, with vacations and such. No working out and eating out all the time. You look amazing though and need to keep reminding yourself of that. You have come such a long way and you are an inspiration to all of us. Keep your head up and remember we are MILF's and need to be proud.tongue.gif

Your so sweet Denise!!! I love ya...and I want to go to Cancun with you!!! We have been looking and the air is outrageous!!! Where do you stay when your down there? We stay with the Palace Resorts. Love them!!

Mini~

Your trip sounds SO fun. I was down 70 pounds at 6 & 7 months. So if I can do it, I KNOW that you can. Cliche, I know. But, it is true!!!

Awww bummer. Well from my experience with Law Enforcement, sometimes they blow through the lists fast. I know we do at our department. :cursing:

*whistle* Woot woot! Look at you girl. You look HOT. And why are you wearing those jeans... they are much too BIG for you!!! :scared2:

Oh no! :ohmy: How sad. I hope he remains possitive and can regain more mobility with PT.

Wow girlie. Looking good!!! Awesome!!! It really does make a difference when you look at pictures side by side doesn't it!! WTG! So proud of you. :angry:

Thanks Adork, I keep trying to tell her that... but she is bummed right now. I guess I just need to keep reinforcing it. My best friend has been a fireman for 30 years in the city where she tested, and he said the same thing-that she just needs to be patient. Move home, live with me, pick up a job here, and keep testing or wait for them to move her up on the list. I wish she would listen to her big sis this time...:wub:

BTW, congrats on your weight loss this week. You go girl!!!!!!

Sophie is adorable!! Love her face and her little furry eyebrows!! So expressive! And she looks soooo happy with her big doggy smile in her pictures!

Edited by munchkin392

So I was goofing around on the internet today (what else is new?) and stumbled across a killer deal on airfare to Costa Rica next February during my spring break. Under $500 RT on Frontier through Denver! Anyhoo, snapped it right up. We're going to stay on the Caribbean side near a national park that supposedly has the best snorkeling in the area. It's also much cheaper on that side of the country (beautiful private bungalow for $100 per night). I'm so excited.

AND - it really gives me some motivation to lose as much as I can by then and to get into good physical shape as well. There are lots of jungle hikes, kayaking tours, canopy zip lines, etc. in the area and I want to be able to enjoy myself and really be able to fully participate. OOO, and there's a sloth sanctuary too where you can hold baby sloths. I guess there are monkeys everywhere too. It sounds so awesome.

Awesome!! I want to come!! Please, please????

Oh, and thanks for singing MC Hammer to me...you are picking up my sisters slack since she hasn't been in the mood to tease me today.

MC Heather! I love it! Try some suspenders! That's what I do! Ha! I do that because I was afraid I would lose my pants and it might be wearing my bigger than big granny panties!

I'm sorry your sister didn't get the job. Maybe something will happen good for her. I hate to see her go to Iraq.

Tom told me my goal should be 170. That would make me have a normal BMI of 25. Which weight would give you a normal BMI?

I hope one day you can come here again! I'd love to see you! You're a kick!

140 would put me at a normal BMI, so I guess that should be my goal! (And that makes me remember...when I was 23 I wanted to go into the Air Force, and I weighed 140, and they told me I was too fat!)

I want to come to Denver too! I was soooo hoping I could come with my supervisor in Sept when she has her surgery since I will be off for my foot, but the airfare is just too expensive! Mini, why don't you work on that for me? (I think you are our unofficial travel agent now!)

Edited by munchkin392
I am long winded and keep thinking of more to add, and am too lazy to make another post!

Hello ladies (do we have any guys on this Dr. K. group??)

Birthday was very fun. For those of you in Denver, Moondance Botanicals on Corona and 6th does wonderful girls night out spa parties, either foot spa or facials. We did a herbal foot soak, foot scrub, foot mask, then foot massage. Lots of fun!

Mal, I"m so sorry about your son's friend - I sent you a private message.

Denise and Dee, you both look awesome. So inspiring to see your hard work paying off.

Heather, I can't wait to be you and have scrubs that are too big. Right now my large's are too tight, and even the XL do not have much extra room in them. I get so hot and sweaty at work, can't wait to get this weight off and move around more easily.

My consult with Dr. K is one week from today. I can hardly wait to get going already!!!!

So, I ordered all XL's, thinking that larges wouldn't possibly fit...then I thought maybe I better go to the local uniform store and try some stuff on to be sure, and sure enough, I needed larges! Even in the pants! Thankfully I called customer service at Marcus Uniform and they were able to change my order just in time! It would have been a real drag to send all that stuff back because I ordered a weeks worth of tops, jackets, and pants! Like 21 things! I know I will be able to at least eek a little while of wear out of these, because a lot of the tops are by Los Angeles Rose and they run small!:cursing:

So Dee, I just got my mail, and imagine my surprise...there was a thank you card in it from the nurse manager of our sister ICU's (the ones I hate to float to) thanking me for coming in to help them Monday night. And she put two gift certificates in there! One for Papa Johns, which I will use to buy pizza for my coworkers, and one for a local ice cream store where I get my FAVORITE thing in the world, frozen yogurt with fresh fruit. (Hee hee, I am keeping that one for myself!)

I thought that was awfully nice of her!! I must have done something right that night!:cursing:

I am actually excited to go to work tonight now that I have scrubs that fit. I had to buy some more when I was at the uniform store once I saw how much better they looked on me! After seeing ones that fit, I couldn't bear the thought of wearing the other ones for one more day!!