Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

To Lap Dancer from Sewpfun

I just rec'd a msg from you but unfortunately hit an incorrect button; I don't know how to recover your msg. Would you email me again? I was asking about Dr. K in Aurora CO.

Thanks

CJ

Marcy & Dee~Three cheers for you ladies!!! Dee, how did the weekend go? I hope you had a wonderful time visiting with old friends. Marcy, if I don't feel like walking my Buster he will give those Basset Hound eyes and I just can't resist. Once I am out the door we are gone. But I have a problem with fitting into pants. Anything that fits around the waist is baggy in the legs. I was supposed to start back at the gym yesterday but a friend called for a favor...today I am headed back to the gym, me and my son Chris are going to start working out togeher again. He needs to work off some stress.

Sending positive vibes out to all on this fine day!!

Edited by Mal

Hi all,

Just a quick query... The past week I have been dealing with bursitis in my shoulder (happens a few times a year...although lingers longer now that I still have two rugrats to pick up all the time)...anyhow, I have been taking motrin at night so I can sleep and to help with the inflammation. I have noticed that I am having a hard time with frequent PB's since I started up with the motrin.... Is this likely caused by the stomach/pouch being aggravated by the motrin?

Any similar experiences out there?

Thanks...Tina (slowly moving to onderland... I've been naughty when not PBing...)

Edited by Taynuh

Hi all! I'm in a happy mood today because it's so beautiful outside here in Georgia. The pollen is going mad now so there's a yellow haze, but I don't have allergies. :frown: My husband is on spring break & came to eat lunch with me today on campus (I work at a university library). I sure didn't want to come back to work.

Well, I think I've finally located a local fill doc, and not a moment too soon. Next Friday will be a month since my first fill, and my portions and hunger are increasing while the weight loss is slowing down despite my exercising. This doc is an hour away, but obviously much closer than Dr. K. There are closer ones, but they charge upwards of $500 just to "join the practice." Yikes. This one is reasonable and seems pretty well-liked by his patients. As much as I'd like to return to Colorado for each fill, it's just not possible.

LA, I am worried about you! I really hope that it was just a "stuck incident" that became unstuck and there's no erosion or anything seriously wrong happening with your band. You are doing so well. Keep us updated, OK?

Happy spring to all! I always feel so hopeful this time of year. :drool: :eek: :wub:

Hi ladies. Thanks so much for the good thoughts and prayers. I am back home. Yesterday was quite the day. Rich and I traveled up to Flagstaff first thing in the morning and arrived around 9am. We checked in at the office and were told my Endoscopy was scheduled for 1:15 in the afternoon.

I ended up spending most of my morning on the phone trying to figure out insurance. They needed my PCP to write a referral since the GI Dr was out of network. Well I have only seen my PCP once ever since I moved to Tucson, last September when I had a double ear infection. She isn't even aware of my recent surgery. Oye.

What fun it was trying to explain about my surgeon Dr Kirshenbaum in Colorado, my new surgeons Dr Berger and Dr Aldridge in Flagstaff, my emergency CT scan records at NW Medical from the ER visit, and why exactly I was in Flagstaff to see Dr Trujillo for the Endoscopy. Big mess.

Needless to say they could not get pre-approval for the procedure in time, so we are thinking this is going to come out of our packet. The staff at Dr Trujillo's office was wonderful and very very helpful. If it ends up getting denied they will work with us on a payment plan.

We decided to go ahead with the procedure since we were in town and I didn't want to wait days for an authorization that may never come through. Dr Kirshenbaum and Dr Aldridge seemed to be in agreement that the Endoscopy should be done right away to rule our erosion.

The procedure went ok. The medication they gave me to knock me out... didn't knock me out. Go figure. I always seem to fall into the lucky few category that have averse reactions. I am still thankful that I didn't wake up during my surgery. That would have been something that would have happened to me. heh.

So I was awake and gagging through the whole procedure. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't exactly pleasant either. I guess my body does not respond to "twilight" sedation. I had the same thing happen to me when I had a HSG years ago The "twilight" sedation never kicked in and I felt everything. No fun. I was practically jumping off the table for that one. At least this one wasn't as much painful as it was awkward. I have a big gag reflex and it was in full swing.

Dr Trujillo determined that I have acid reflux, swelling, and irritation. He prescribed Nexium to help with the reflux. I was surprised to say the least. I have no symptoms at all of reflux, and would never have thought that I had it. Dr Berger did mention during my fill last month that I was refluxing the contrast. I didn't feel it refluxing and told him I didn't have any heartburn. Go figure.

So the reflux thing was diagnosed and will be taken care of with the Nexium. I do not have a hole in my stomach or any indication of erosion. *big sigh of relief* However, Dr Trujillo mentioned that when he went down into my stomach there was not really a pouch above the band. He thinks it may have slipped.

So now I am waiting for Dr Aldridge to look over the results of the Endoscopy since Dr Berger is out of town. I have been sitting on pins and needles all day waiting for him to call.

I have been reading up on slippage and have found a lot of contradicting information as far as symptoms. I had a lot of pain, weight gain, no restriction, and acid reflux. All of which could be signs. Then again... other people report severe restriction and the inability to swallow even saliva. So I really don't know what to think.

For now I feel good. My weight has leveled out for the most part which has been very frustrating. I am afraid to eat... worried that I may have a slipped band. I am still scheduled for a fill next week and plan on keeping the appointment unless something changes. I am hoping that the pain was from the acid reflux and the non-restriction and weight gain is nothing more than needing a fill.

I am also hoping that Dr Truillo may not have looked at enough bandings under Endoscopy to know what the pouch should or shouldn't look like. Please may that be the case.

So for now I am still waiting. Waiting for the all clear. These last few days have been frustrating and trying. I am ready for it to be over.

Edited by L.A.
spelling

Lap...lap...lap - Come on - we switched the night for you my dear.

Mal - I am soooooooo proud of you. Those walks and the belly ups will get you where you want to go. Hugs.

Dee - you seem to be doing great! Yeah! Glad your vacation was fun.

Woofay - have you dropped the vacation weight? I am subbing all week, and i am doing better being so busy. No time to think about hunger and what I want.

Ladies and Gentleman - I am in love. I can't believe it, it is pretty fast, but sooooooo fabulous. I am not like this usually, but my goodness, it has been such a long time since I had a special someone. I believe that I had to love myself before I could attract Ed. Thank you bandsters and thank you band. My weight loss hasn't been in the record books, but I feel like there is hope here. I am eating so much less and used to it in one year, after a lifetime of either extreme food abstinence (liquid diets) to total indulgence binge eating and a roller coaster of expand and contracting body size.

At RR, please plan the next event and let us know. I want pictures please.

Hugs,

Michelle

EEEEEEEK!!!!! Have you guys seen the forecast for tomorrow night!??? I hope its wrong! Otherwise...I'll have to pass on RR.:thumbup:

Taynuh~~~I have problems with irritation too if I take Advil or Aleve. What I have learned is, to make sure you sit up for at least half an hour after you take it. And use plenty of Water. If I lay down for sleep after I take it....its bad. (or if I need to take it during the night) Burning and pain in my gut. And that irritation makes you PB more. And make sure you take a tummy pill like pepcid or zantac (over the counter stuff) when you take your pills or once a day while you need them. I go in spurts with my TOM. For about 3 days I need lots of Aleve and this really seems to help me. Good luck!

Have a great night, All!

Michelle! Congrats on your new love! :eek::thumbup::Banane20::tongue::Banane20::wink2: He better realize what a great person he has with you! Have fun!

Dyamo~I am so happy for you! It is refreshing to hear, I wish you and Ed a beautiful new begining! You sound very happy.

YIKES~I am watching the news right now, sounds like a lot of rain and snow coming...

EEEEEEEK!!!!! Have you guys seen the forecast for tomorrow night!??? I hope its wrong! Otherwise...I'll have to pass on RR.:thumbup:

Taynuh~~~I have problems with irritation too if I take Advil or Aleve. What I have learned is, to make sure you sit up for at least half an hour after you take it. And use plenty of Water. If I lay down for sleep after I take it....its bad. (or if I need to take it during the night) Burning and pain in my gut. And that irritation makes you PB more. And make sure you take a tummy pill like pepcid or zantac (over the counter stuff) when you take your pills or once a day while you need them. I go in spurts with my TOM. For about 3 days I need lots of Aleve and this really seems to help me. Good luck!

Have a great night, All!

Yeah, I noticed the TOM thing... good advice on the meds... I'll drink lots of Water and take them an hour before bed....

Thank you so much!!!!

Tina

WAHOO Michelle! Now, I know we all don't NEED a man, but....aren't they nice to have around and play with? Good for you!

I'm still enjoying my skinny jeans and looking forward to purchasing the next size smaller...just to have, an incentive maybe.

Well, it's 9:45pm and the sun is still out...summer must be on its way!

LA -- Yay for no erosion! Keep us posted on the slip thing. I wish Dr. K could look at your scope results and give his opinion on slip or no slip, too. I'm sorry that you had to go through the insurance song and dance -- it is such a scam.

Michelle -- Wonderful!! I am happy for your happiness!

Marcy -- I've bought my goal jeans already even though it will be awhile; found them on Ebay -- the Victoria's Secret Uplift Jeans -- they go for $88 in the catalog and I got them for $25 (included shipping). I hung them on the back of my closet door so that I can look at them and dream of being a size 12 some day. I don't remember being a size 12 in my adult life and I will be THRILLED to finally get there --I'm a 16-18 now. I've taken everything that's too big to Good Will a soon as it gets too big -- I don't want it to see it ever again!

The weather GC's having in GA sounds as nice as it is in NC today -- I'm off to transplant some day lillies this morning.

I'm hoping the snow stays at bay so you can all get to RR tonight -- I want to see pictures!

Everyone have a happy healthy safe day~

EEEEEEEK!!!!! Have you guys seen the forecast for tomorrow night!??? I hope its wrong! Otherwise...I'll have to pass on RR.:)

Have a great night, All!

Anita!

I saw the weather report! ARGH! That's horrible! I don't want to be at RR by myself, BUT I totally understand! If the weather is bad, don't even chance it! You're life is worth more than a drive up north!

Send us a picture of you and we'll be happy!

Darn it! We miss you!!!

love,

dee~

Good Morning!!!

Marcy! Hey wait! I need a man! But I don't see one in sight, so I'll just continue learning to love myself.

Michelle! I'm thrilled for you! I hope Ed knows what a lucky young man he is! You're a treasure!

Tina! I haven't noticed the irritation, but if I have to take something, I crush it and take it with a pretty thick Protein shake on an empty stomach and then wash it down with about 20 oz. of Water. I don't drink the entire Protein Shake, just enough to get the crushed meds down. I'm loving the new Mix1 drinks made in Boulder. That's how I take my meds in the morning. I think if I take it with food it just sits in the pouch and I don't get the benefit of it.

L.A.! I was worried about you! I'm so glad that it's not an erosion! I think reflux is workable. Do you know what causes a slip? I need to figure that one out. Is it vomiting? Or are there other things that can cause it? I'm just glad you get to keep your band!

Well, guys, I finally lost 2 lbs this morning. I'm really struggling with the swelling and it just gets me so frustrated to see the scale go up after I've worked. I measured my waist yesterday and it's now 50.5 inches! When I started it was 58inches! My clothes fit better and I'm losing sizes so I just need to remember that!

Have a Sweet Day!

Hugs,

dee~

Edited by Tied2BFit