Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Okay all you fellow Dr. K. bandsters. I would think that since the same doctor did all of our surgeries, they would have to be similar, right? I have 4 horizontal incisions that are almost in a straight light starting on my left side and continues to mid-right side, with my port incision being the biggest one at 1 1/2 inches long that is directly above my belly button about 3 inches. Then 1 more incision about 2 inches directly above my port incision at the end of my sternum. Does this sound familiar to anyone? The problem is, I am having pressure/pain on the second incision from the left side, which is not the port incision. It is swollen and somewhat hard about an inch above the top of that incision. The pressure seems to become worst as the day goes on. However, the hardness stays about the same all day. I am 8 days post-op and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this same swelling and pain?

Machele,

I am 4 days post-op and at this point not so sure what I have done to myself. I have the same pulling pain in my incisions and they are placed in the same area. I am having pain in my chest when I take deep breaths and thats a little scary. are you on mushy foods yet. I tried sweet potatoe cassarole and it didn't go down to well, so I am afraid to try anything but liquids. How long did it take you? DID ANYBODY FEEL LIKE THIS???

Machele,

I am 4 days post-op and at this point not so sure what I have done to myself. I have the same pulling pain in my incisions and they are placed in the same area. I am having pain in my chest when I take deep breaths and thats a little scary. are you on mushy foods yet. I tried sweet potatoe cassarole and it didn't go down to well, so I am afraid to try anything but liquids. How long did it take you? DID ANYBODY FEEL LIKE THIS???

Chula, most people go through a phase of "what have I done to myself." That's pretty normal. As for the pulling pain on your incisions, I think that is pretty normal too. The pain in your chest is probably gas. But if you feel something is not normal, call the doctor. That's one of the main reasons we chose Dr. K. He is responsive to calls about post op problems. I called a couple times with concerns and he got right back to me.

Regarding the foods you are eating, it's really important to follow the post op nutrition guidelines. The idea is not to "try" mushies to see if the "go down well." The idea is to just do exactly what the doctor says. And again, the question is not "how long did it take to get past liquids." The idea is, how long does Dr. K say you need to stay on liquids. That's how long it takes. Since you were banded by Dr. K I know you had a consult with the nutritionist, Paula. You should have some materials that tell you what the phases are. If not, contact her and get them.

Most people try to rush things a little. I did, and it was not the right thing to do. But eating sweet potatos 4 days post op is really rushing things. That is not a good idea. Your stomach needs to heal. If you put real food in there your stomach needs to move around and work to digest it. That's just what you don't want 4 days post op. You need to let the stomach heal and the band "set" where the doctor stitched it. The reason for drinking liquids is to get some nutrition that you can digest without making your stomach work. That's the whole idea.

I would suggest that you contact Dr. K about the problems you are having, and try to get back on the post op nutrition program. What you are going through is normal. Just try to stick with the program and tough it out, you'll be through the hard part very soon.

Okay all you fellow Dr. K. bandsters. I would think that since the same doctor did all of our surgeries, they would have to be similar, right? I have 4 horizontal incisions that are almost in a straight light starting on my left side and continues to mid-right side, with my port incision being the biggest one at 1 1/2 inches long that is directly above my belly button about 3 inches. Then 1 more incision about 2 inches directly above my port incision at the end of my sternum. Does this sound familiar to anyone? The problem is, I am having pressure/pain on the second incision from the left side, which is not the port incision. It is swollen and somewhat hard about an inch above the top of that incision. The pressure seems to become worst as the day goes on. However, the hardness stays about the same all day. I am 8 days post-op and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this same swelling and pain?

As I just mentioned on another post, one of the reasons we chose Dr. K is because he is responsive to calls from patients regarding post op issues. I called him a couple times and he got right back to me. If you are having medical questions, call the doc. He expects that people will call, and he is happy to answer questions.

I second what Mark said...and also just wanted to add that my incisions are in the same place and I had some pain on my left side for a while...even about 6 weeks out I got a really weird pain to the left of my port that lasted a few days, I was really freaking out, but then I read somewhere that people sometimes get pain there before their period...WEIRD, but it was enough to calm me down and sure enough, 2 days later when I got my period (Sorry mark for the girl talk), the pain went away and hasn't returned!

So be careful, stay on liquids the first week....and call Dr. K if you're really freaked out!

Oh yeah, and the pain from taking deep breaths is likely a result of the anesthesia...they should have given you a breathing apparatus thing that makes you practice taking deep breaths...you want to keep doing that so you don't let the Fluid build up on your lungs.

Don't worry, you made the right choice!!

Thank You for those that replied, I will stick to liquids for a couple more days before trying the mushy stage again. I knew you guys would make me feel better about this. Tahnks again and I chack back in later

Diana

That is wonderful for you Woofay! That is neat that you dont have to wait another week or more. He is really getting busy! Umm... Paula really did not say anything about helping me a goal.. but.. I didn't ask either! It was only after I had all the consulations and was really on my way before I started to think about it.

Thanks for the supply sites, Tater. I'll go there after here. I guess I do need to get stuff together. I was a little more than 5 lbs over on their scale too. Like 5 lbs really matters in the relm of things when you are 120 lbs over weight. :) The reason I got the 13th is because someone cancelled, other wise I think that it was going to be the 25th. Maybe unlucky for someone...not for me! I really liked everyone there. Dr. K has a very reassuring way about him, does he not? Very matter of fact and positive that this system works. I was a little apprehensive before, but not anymore. Does their nutritionist help you set goals (she is out of town for a week) or is this something that I do? I'm like you, I don't want to be too careful so that I am not "let down" again, but need to be where I really need to be.

I also have one other question about this site...when you see that someone is viewing on here, is there instant messaging ability? Just wondered.

Could you Dr. K patients tell me which airport you landed in. I am researching from Toronto, Canada and am trying to figure in the cost of flying back and forth there if his very low price will actually work for me.

Thanks for your help.

Man, they weighed me in the office today and I guess that my home scale is a bit off. Rats! Oh well, guess that is all about to change anyways. You know what else? My husband came with me today and actually heard what I weigh.:embarassed: It's not that he doesn't know that I am fat, (really!) he just really never knew the exact amount. I'll live! Can't wait! :clap2:

Woofay,

I know what you mean! I have only been married a little over a year (second husband) although we were dating four years before, and I believe he is having a hard time with me spending so much money on something he does not quite feel is necessary. He has not come right out and said that but he has made comments. He was all ready to come to my doctors appointment with me but at the last minute I made up some excuse why he didnt need to come, for fear that he woudl hear much I weigh. Isn't that dumb? I am married to him, maybe if he would have came he would have said, "yep honey you need the surgery". Instead my 19 year old daughter came with me. She was much more reassuring to me that I was doing the right thing, and she felt better about me having the surgery once she heard what Dr. K had to say. Anyway long story short... I know how you feel since I truly avoided my husband coming with me. I am glad that I am not alone in feeling that way. As it gets closer to banding day I get more and more excited! We will have to keep in touch. Are you planning on going to any of the support group meetings? I weighed more on Dr. K's scale too.

Could you Dr. K patients tell me which airport you landed in. I am researching from Toronto, Canada and am trying to figure in the cost of flying back and forth there if his very low price will actually work for me.

Thanks for your help.

Denver International Airport is where you will fly into (DIA).

Looks like I am probably not going to make the April support group meeting. It is the first Tuesday, right? I am still doing physical therapy for my knee and Tuesdays are one of the days I do that.

Maybe May?? LOL Just in time for my 1 year bandiversary! :clap2:

Drews Lou, I think the support meeting is on April 10th the second tuesday of the month, I had posted it as the 1st awhile back:confused: Your'e before and after picture is Great! it makes a big differance, must feel good with spring and summer on the way. Sunnysea:)

Doctor Jerry Kirshenbaum, Aurora, Colorado

3/19/2007 Phone consult Dr. Kirshenbaum

4/03/2007 Phone consult with nutritionist

4/16/2007 Office Appt. pre-surgery, Aurora, CO

4/17/2007 Surgery for Lap Band at Parker, CO

Hi Lap_dancer!

I am gettting banded by Dr. Kirshenbaum in Parker on the April 18th. Will you still be in Denver? I am so excited I can hardly wait!

Hi Angie38! I will be back to his office the next day for follow-up. Can't wait!!! So YES I will still be there on the 18th staying at the Holiday Inn Select in Parker.

Drews Lou, I think the support meeting is on April 10th the second tuesday of the month, I had posted it as the 1st awhile back:confused: Your'e before and after picture is Great! it makes a big differance, must feel good with spring and summer on the way. Sunnysea:)

Thanks Sunnysea!! I actually wore shorts yesterday and wasn't self conscious(sp?) of my rolly polly legs. I'll try and post a pic!