Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre op and post op eating and drinking suggestions

I recently posted the following comments on another thread and thought they were useful enough to live stand alone in a new thread:

If it is helpful, my NUT at Swedish hospital in Seattle (yay Britney) recommended eating like the induction phase on Atkins for the pre op diet. I did not have any trouble with that as lots of practice there over the years. The Atkins Induction phase is essentially a very low carb diet, no breads, starches, caffeine, etc. You eat Proteins as much as possible with some low glycemic vegetables.

The surgeon stated that I had a super healthy and small liver because of doing this type of eating pre op. Most people will end up losing 10 lb. a week by eating low carb before surgery. For example, I switched my diet one month before surgery to be like Atkins induction phase and lost about 30 lbs dropping my weight to 335 lb., probably reducing complications that might have been present had I been 30 lb heavier and still eating junk. I felt it also gave me a good kick start on learning to eat better *before* post op physical and mental struggles. Really important!! Maybe this simple suggestion will help you or others who read this later.

I also like the idea of drinking Protein Shakes before surgery. That will help you get used to the post op drinking of Protein shakes. All we drink are protein shakes for up to 3 weeks post op (aka the liquid phase) so the more you prepare yourself for this, the better. However, I do have to warn you that your favorite Protein Shake flavor pre op may no longer be your favorite protein shake flavor post op. Our tastes often change when going over to the other side. For this reason, it is not a good idea to load up on tubs of Protein Powder pre op thinking you will be also drinking the same flavors post op. happened to me. MyBariatricPantry.com and other sites like this let you buy sample packets of protein shake flavors. Try some or all until you pick one or more that you do not mind drinking. Again, do this post op as your tastes may have changed after your stomach is removed. I happen to like nectar sweets (several flavors) both pre op and post op, but did not like Nectar fruits post op where others really like Nectar fruit flavors post op. I used to be big on peach and banana flavors pre op, but hated them post op. Everyone will have different tastes. I still have 1-2 protein shakes daily. They are really helpful for when I need a low effort 1st meal and a recovery drink after working out. Still love to drink Nectar Cookies and Cream even today. I feel good that protein shakes are helping me get in an extra 40-50 grams of protein a day. I try and eat 150+ g of protein a day today.

Water and milk will taste different post op, maybe even gross or cause GI issues. I could not drink milk again due to lactose intolerance issues until month 5 post op and plain water again until month 6 post op. You may find an alternative like light soy or almond milk will work just as well as nonfat/low fat milk post op; it will be smoother on your stomach and less trips to the bathroom. Everyone is different. As for water, I could taste all the minerals and it sat heavy in my stomach post op. I am still flavoring my water today at month 9 post op, but can drink bottled and tap water again without flavor if the need arises. Luckily, the need does not arise very often because I have water flavoring in my pocket most of the time. Try and drink as much water as possible to flush toxins from your system. As you are dropping weight, the stored toxins are released into your liver and it needs all the flushing it can get to keep up. I try and drink 100+ oz water a day today.

An Atkins style diet without the higher fat foods actually works remarkably well post op to drop lbs month over month until you are able to add back in good carbs around month 5 or 6. For example, month 1 (45 lbs.), month 2 (45 lbs.), month 3 (15 lb), month 4 (15 lb), month 5 (15 lbs.) and month 6 ( 15 lbs). I am maintaining at around 180 lbs now for 2 months. This is only a suggested style of eating post op as it will not work for everyone nor will it be preferred by everyone. As an aside, I also added coffee back in at week 6 and alcohol at month 6. My remaining pre op vices, I suppose. Hey, I am a Seattleite and need my coffee!

Today I have transitioned into a Paleo diet with supplementation (shakes and bars) to help optimize my running and cross fit activities. Up until month 5, my exercise was mostly walking / elliptical and I encourage everyone to really get good at walking before taking on additional exercise activities. Besides, your dog will love you for it!

Hope this helps!

Please add other tips that have worked for you so pre ops will have a smoother transition to post op with regards to eating and drinking.

Thanks for the info...I'm still pre op and they are thinking July for my surgery date. Excuse my ignorance, but what is a paleo diet?

Thanks for the info...I'm still pre op and they are thinking July for my surgery date. Excuse my ignorance' date=' but what is a paleo diet?[/quote']

WIKIPedia knows all (certainly more than I):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet

In summary, the Paleo diet is essentially the diet of the Stone Age: plants and animals. You will find little to no processed foods in it. Mine is modified a little because I am not a good enough hunter or There are not enough animals willing to be my dinner in the area. :)