Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PEOPLE WHO ONLY DID 3 day liquid pre op diet

I think I see your point O.T.R. Americans are VERY fat as a nation. I just watched an HBO documentary called "Weight of the Nation." It really opened up my eyes and made me thank God once again that I did what I did. Just my blood pressure alone, I was 150/100 and on Lisinopryl a month before the start of my pre op diet. At my three month post op visit with my surgeon on 3/21 my BP was 126/61 and I have been off of Lisinopryl for 2 months now. I recommend that everyone checks that documentary out. As far as the original poster is concerned, I seriously feel for her despite the numerous personal attacks that her and others have leveled at me in this thread. It's sad that she feels that society has made her take such drastic measures. I hope in the long run that she seeks help and becomes happier with herself. After all, that's the goal that we are all seeking.

I am a member on all of our sister sites & I can tell you that this is definately not a unique situation. I quickly recall a situation on the lapband board where a young lady with a BMI of 24 was banded because she felt that she needed to keep her weight down and was foreseeing bigger problems in her future. She was Australian' date=' same basic area as New Zealand. When you live in an culture where 85% of the population has a BMI of 23 or less then 30 does tend to be perceived as a bigger problem than we see it.[/quote']

I see your point about Americans being super fat compared to other parts of the world...

And perhaps in New Zealand they communicate differently also?? Something I would categorize as a tactless comment here, may not be a big deal there....

I think my point to start off with here, was to give information, not to say go for it or don't go for it,

That decision is ultimately for everyone to decide for themselves, right?

I think that when someone comes here and doesn't know much about the basics, like,

"I want to know how many of you had your ghrelin taken out also" thinking it was a separate body part, deserves to get as much information as possible to help with making a decision armed with lots of info..regardless of if you are 30 bmi or 60 bmi....

That was what I was trying to say! U might look at someone with a bmi of 40 as seriously overweight. NZ-ers look at someone at 30 like that.

Libby, I just noticed that you live in New Zeland as well. I'm glad that I don't live in such a place where the people are so shallow and rude.

Like Asia..those skinny little Asian people...they freak out if you are 15 pounds over weight lol

Wow. After reading this thread... Wow. Both sides should really reevaluate their behavior.

Big Frank, I get why you were so taken aback by a BMI of 30 resorting to surgery. When I checked how much I would need to weigh to there my 1st thought was, I'd totally rock 205 lbs at 5'9!!! But you're not a woman, Big Frank. And women are punished more than men for being overweight. I did a complete study on this for a sociology project. Also, you don't know if there are any co-morbidities or her family med history. Your initial flabbergasted response did leave something to be desired... In my opinion.

But, the Mean Girl Brigade? If Big Frank's comments lacked tact, then yours were downright cruel. As a human being, not just a woman, who topped the scale at a hefty 405 lbs and a BMI of 59 those comments were out of line and hurtful. My feelings were hurt even though they weren't directed at me.

That's all I have to say.

Amanda Rae

I see your point about Americans being super fat compared to other parts of the world...

And perhaps in New Zealand they communicate differently also?? Something I would categorize as a tactless comment here' date=' may not be a big deal there....

I think my point to start off with here, was to give information, not to say go for it or don't go for it,

That decision is ultimately for everyone to decide for themselves, right?

I think that when someone comes here and doesn't know much about the basics, like,

"I want to know how many of you had your ghrelin taken out also" thinking it was a separate body part, deserves to get as much information as possible to help with making a decision armed with lots of info..regardless of if you are 30 bmi or 60 bmi....

[/quote']

AGAIN when I went for my consult with my DR in New Zealand he said "we take out the hormone called Ghrelin so you don't feel the "hunger" for a year or 2. But your body will find a new way of telling you you're hungry" I was brand new to this site and was confused why people said they were hungry, so asked a question to better understand. And again was attacked like I'm being here again. I am obese and have diabetes in my family ... I don't understand why everyone is so against me doing this. I'm not on Facebook trying to have this conversation with people without weight problems.

AGAIN when I went for my consult with my DR in New Zealand he said "we take out the hormone called Ghrelin so you don't feel the "hunger" for a year or 2. But your body will find a new way of telling you you're hungry" I was brand new to this site and was confused why people said they were hungry' date=' so asked a question to better understand. And again was attacked like I'm being here again. I am obese and have diabetes in my family ... I don't understand why everyone is so against me doing this. I'm not on Facebook trying to have this conversation with people without weight problems.[/quote']

Perhaps they're referring to something much more powerful than ghrelin? Your brain.

Amanda Rae

Well that's why I came on here to discuss and to understand with people who have been through it first hand. To be honest I want to leave this site after experiencing things on this thread. I wanted to learn but again am being judged for my weight. I only made some comments to stick up for myself and they were facts - the liver: obviously mine isn't in as much need for the detox as others with higher weights ... Now people are sayin I need "mental help & have serious problems" ... Wtf pretty crappy support group

AGAIN when I went for my consult with my DR in New Zealand he said "we take out the hormone called Ghrelin so you don't feel the "hunger" for a year or 2. But your body will find a new way of telling you you're hungry" I was brand new to this site and was confused why people said they were hungry' date=' so asked a question to better understand. And again was attacked like I'm being here again. I am obese and have diabetes in my family ... I don't understand why everyone is so against me doing this. I'm not on Facebook trying to have this conversation with people without weight problems.[/quote']

Like I said earlier, it's all about perspective. Most of us here are American, we live in a nation where being borderline obese is quite normal. It's really hard for us to wrap our heads around the idea of someone your size considering themselves overweight. Yes, I completely understand that a 30 BMI is technicaly obese, but as a society, we just don't see it. The majority of our population is overweight. I really wish we weren't so screwed up in our perception, but, really this is the real difference. I only wish I looked as good as most Aussies & New Zeelanders.

Roller... It's ok that you didn't know what that is..

I'm not judging you on that. I'm glad you are learning more everyday... I am NOT AGAINST YOU doing this. But felt it important to let you know some facts... Someone 4 months out might have a slightly different perspective than someone 2 weeks out... There is good and bad to this surgery... For everyone I just feel that you don't want to hear truths unless they fit into what you want to hear.. That's not necessarily support!

I'm I glad I had this done?? Yes! Im losing weight! Do I feel like I've made some sacrifices for it yes! My hair is falling out, I'm sick a lot with stomach issues (not very sexy some days)

And hungry (head and real) is still an issue.

I will work with these things, just as I'm sure you can work with them too. I'm not here to talk you out of it.. But I'm also not here to sell this procedure or a certain doctor..

Well that's why I came on here to discuss and to understand with people who have been through it first hand. To be honest I want to leave this site after experiencing things on this thread. I wanted to learn but again am being judged for my weight. I only made some comments to stick up for myself and they were facts - the liver: obviously mine isn't in as much need for the detox as others with higher weights ... Now people are sayin I need "mental help & have serious problems" ... Wtf pretty crappy support group

I'm not judging you because of your weight. I'm judging you because of your attitude and personality. You sound like a b*tch most of the time. And you do need mental help. Let me dumb it down for you even further, since you seem incapable of rationale.

Sloth looks into the mirror and believes he needs plastic surgery= he's probably got a point.

Brad Pitt looks in the mirror and believes he needs plastic surgery= something isn't right.

Get it? Probably not.

To want this surgery when you are not YET in need of it is stupid, IMHO. Spending 6000 now to get most of your stomach removed is stupid when you can use that money to figure out why you believe you would eventually get big enough to have health issues in the future.

You think you deserve this surgery?? No one does. It's not a prize to be won. People deserve to not need this surgery. Get your head right.

Amanda Rae, my initial reaction may have lacked some "tact," but I was just shocked. I literally read this site probably 95% less then most users and when I do I just stick to this one forum on the top of the page. There are way to many forums here with just so many people posting that it's all hard to follow. With that said, I had not yet encountered a thread with someone with such a low BMI getting sleeved. I remember someone a couple months ago saying that they were getting sleeved with a 35 BMI and I was thinking to myself WTF??? When I saw a 30 BMI'er saying they were getting sleeved I was like this is just NUTS. Hell, my ultimate goal is just a couple of points under 30 and I looked damn good when I was there at age 19. As far as their rude and cruel behavior, well to be VERY blunt, I think these few women have a screw loose. I'm not kidding. The three that attacked me were 30 BMI'ers that got sleeved for obvious mental issues surrounding their vanity. Hell, one is posting pictures of herself on the Internet in her underwear. Thankfully it doesn't bother me, it's just the Internet with people I don't know, will never meet, or would ever care to meet. Attached is a photo of me when I was at a 27.5 BMI, just a couple points under what these woman are having themselves cut up to be under.

post-47935-13813664287756_thumb.jpg

Like I said earlier' date=' it's all about perspective. Most of us here are American, we live in a nation where being borderline obese is quite normal. It's really hard for us to wrap our heads around the idea of someone your size considering themselves overweight. Yes, I completely understand that a 30 BMI is technicaly obese, but as a society, we just don't see it. The majority of our population is overweight. I really wish we weren't so screwed up in our perception, but, really this is the real difference. I only wish I looked as good as most Aussies & New Zeelanders.[/quote']

Thank you, there is a much better way of asking these questions. I felt so attacked ... I've felt with these issues since I first gained weight at 20 ... And everyone around me likes to comment when I'm in an "up" stage. A complete stranger on a plane told me to my face " you'd be more beautiful if you ate less" the world does see me as "fat" this was in LA. I know I'm not in desperate need of this now - my whole point was why wait till I'm older and larger to have drastic surgery. Isn't it a little safer to be smaller & younger?? I see the grandmothers on here and think its so brave. I would love to have this tool to eat a healthier amount of food. My dr told me I was a food addict and I was so angry ... Now I know she's right ~ it's only a matter of time before I'm 35/40 BMI