Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help.......PLEASE! Anyone else having band problems?

All the best Karen.

I know that people we depend on can make us meek and mild, and when we are emotionally vulnerable too, it can make our task even worse. When I'm in situations like this, I write down a list of points that I want answers to - that way I'm not fobbed off or misdirected. And it helps my self-confidence so that I can assert my needs rather than become aggressive or compliant.

You seem to have a sound head on square shoulders.

Fingers crossed.

Hi Karen,

Several options available:

1. Get Dr A to fit a telemetric band he's been getting a lot of press attention for -- the first in the UK to alter the band restriction digitally without the need for a port, tube or injections (this might help with one of the medical problems)

2. Second opinion -- go to UK hospital group (Anne Diamond recieved corrective surgery there following her disaster in Belgium) or BUPA website on obseity surgery (they suggest 3 different bariatric surgeons: two commercial and one private NHS).

3. Negative press -- GMTV, the Daily Mail and other media outlets would love this kind of story. They may pay you some money -- enough to pay for corrective surgery.

4. find a lawyer on legal aid -- got to citizens advice about legal aid, ask the UK lapband forum for advice on lawyers and generally ask around.

Ultimately, it depends what you really want.

Dr A will have malpractice insurance so suing him, whilst a nice revenge, isn't really going to hurt him - but it will make you feel better temporarily. Depending on the severity of your problems, it could even make you rich -- but maybe not slim!

Before they cut you adrift though, I would make sure that the problems you have suffered have not left you with permanent health problems. That would be the worst of all possible worlds.

PM me if you want to talk.

Oh My GOD, what happen reason you are suing your doctor.? I tried scrolling but I could not find the orginal problem. the reason I ask is that I am being banded on Dec. 11, 06 and this worries me.

I had my first band fitted by Dr Super in April 2005 and have had nothing but problems.

First I had no restriction what so ever, and after the 12/13 weeks of liquids, then mashed food then introducing normal food again, I had a fill under X-Ray where I had I think 1.5-2ml inserted. Went home and nothing, no difference at all. All of a sudden I was in horrific pain (lower abdomen), and my consultant (not surgeon) kept saying that it was nothing to do with the band. I was also told that I was being impatient as I still had no weight loss or restriction.<O >

Things got so bad for me that I couldn't even walk 100yrds without this pain, to try and sit on a seat or to lay down was horrendous and in the end I went to my Dr for advice. I was then sent for numerous internal tests, x-rays, and lots of fumbling around to see if there wasn't anything more serious wrong with me, everything came back normal, but each test was so painful I was in tears. <O >

Again, I contacted my consultant and was told the same thing but finally they arranged for a top-up in October. Mean while I was still in horrific pain and was having lots of time off work which resulted in a loss of pay. Went along for my top-up and it was then discovered that the tubing couldn't be located. All this time of being in pain and no one listening to me and I was then told this.<O >

Back into hospital on 5th Nov 05 to have an exploratory op, relocate the tube and reconnect it. My parents and I were then told that the tubing was located wrapped around my intestines, hence the horrific pain for the past 4 months and that once connected and <O >

Anyway, due to the tube disconnection I had no liquid in my band at all, and eventually went back for another fill (like a first fill as it was completely empty).

Still nothing, and once again I was told that I was being impatient.

Went along for another fill in Feb 06 (my consultant was also present) and bingo, was then told by the guy doing my fill and my consultant that the reason for me having no restriction etc was due to the band being fitted too high, and that this has been seen before. <O ></O >

Back into hospital again on 3rd March 06 for a complete new band to be fitted, then the usual liquid, mashed and then re-introduction of normal food again for up to 12 weeks, and during this time went on holiday which had been booked 11 months before. So yes, my holiday was ruined as a result of this.

Got back to the UK and went for my first fill with my new 2nd band, and again was told that I couldn't have it done as the port was completely over turned, not on its side as this can happed, but completely flipped over. Again my consultant and surgeon kept saying to me that they didn't know why this had happened, so back of into hospital again to have a new port fitted in May 06.

Since then I have had numerous fills (now have 6.5ml in the band) and still have no restriction at all. I have put all the weight back on that I managed to loose before my first op on the 800 cals a day diet. Feel completely shattered and have no faith in my consultant, his team, or the surgeon

I have now been informed that they can not continue to fill my band as there must be a structural problem with the band, and that it will more than likely have to be removed. What is even more worse is that I have been told that although the surgeon will take it out free of charge I will have to pay hospital costs (about £2000) of which I do not have. I have already had to borrow the £7600 for the original op and on top of that I have paid out about £300 in traveling costs, loss of earning and added stress all due to wanting to loose weight and have a better life.

My consultant has now arranged for me to have tests under x-ray this Thursday in central Birmingham, to see what is wrong (the guy doing this has agreed to do this under the NHS). If it turns out that it is an aneurism then the manufacturers have verbally agreed to pay the full costs of surgery and treatment, with a replacement. Not sure I want a replacement after all of this. <O >

However, if it isn't this and turns out to be and erosion or something else, then I still have to foot the hospital costs. (I have explained that this is not an option for me, so will end up with a foreign object left inside my body that is doing nothing for me, but will more than likely end up more harm).<

I am now at the end of my tether and can not cope with this anymore. I have been told to go for a 2nd opinion as well, but it always ends up with the same old answer – I can’t afford to pay to see another consultant or surgeon

If any of you have experienced the same problems or can give me any advice, please drop me a line.

Karen

Taylor.karen@talk21.com

Never mind I found you post. Sorry I am still trying to learn all what I can do on the LBT

Well, went along for my tests yesterday, and what a nightmare it turned out to be. :help:

First of all the radiologist thought that there was a leak and after I confirmed that I have 6.5 in my band he proceeded to withdraw the Fluid, and yep, it was all there. So a little stumped he refilled up to 6.5 again and I then had to continue to swallow the barium. At first he wasn't happy with what he was looking at and conferred with another guy present. Had to do another two bariums and then suddenly, 'Oh dear'. I was then given the terrible blow that my abnd is completely open and across the outer part of my stomach. :omg: Completely upset and in tears with this news I was informed to get changed and wait in the waiting area while he called my consultant and surgeon.

He eventually reappeared and said that my consultant would call me later in the eveing.

Asked twice for a copy of my x-rays and was told that I couldn't have them as they were being sent to my consultant.

Left feeling very upset, mad and extremely exhuasted. :angry

Eventually had a call from my conusltant who said that he had not yet seen a copy of my x-rays but that it wasn't open, but in fact in the wrong place. (AGAIN). Explained that I was confused as this is not what the radiologist had said and asked what the next step would be.

I now have to wait for a call back from him today as I do not want my previous surgeon who performed my past 4 operations to operate on me EVER AGAIN.

Was told that there were only 2 other surgeons who would operate, and that he would have to speak to them to see when they could fit me in, and the payment issue. I expalined that I was not going to pay a penny more and left it at that.

Still waiting to hear from him.

(Managed to get the hospital to send me a copy of my x-rays on disc too).

Update again soon.

Karen

Things are going from bad to worse this afternoon. My consultant still hasn't called me back with regards to further operation dates, so I called his office and was told he was out until later today (if in at all).

Was then informed that 1 surgeon is only available after Jan 20th 2007 and the other only operates every Friday and his last date being 8th Dec 06.

Have explained that neither of these dates are any good for me, and can only have just before xmas to have this done so that I can recover over the Christmas period. I can not afford to have the op Fri 8th Dec, be back at work on Monday and then if I am still sore or unwell take sick leave as I do not get paid if off ill.

My local PCT have informed me that they do not fund any gastric weight loss surgery, so this is a no go. :help:

Speak soon.

Karen

Well well well, I love this site just wanted everyone to know that but i havent been banded yet and am a little nervous. Have lots of questions about eating, "dieting" and the Pre op liquid diet.. First of all the pre op (im not banded yet) and no one has told me about this so can some of you tell me what i need to do... i would like to get a head start in knowing.. second how long did it take to be able to eat something.,.. not liquids? and do we have to diet anymore? i know that seems like a silly question because we have the tool but I am new at all of this havent been banded and i am asking all the questions that i can so that i will know ahead of time Thanks to you all

Patti

Dayton Oh

Karen,

I just read your story and boy I certainly hope that I dont have the kind of issues that you have had now I would be so discusted I would just want them to take it out and if they charged me for it I would (if you can over there) sue for malpractice... I cant believe and i am so sorry that you have had so many problems and hopefullly you will find someone that will take care of you right...

Hi Karen,

Several options available:

1. Get Dr A to fit a telemetric band he's been getting a lot of press attention for -- the first in the UK to alter the band restriction digitally without the need for a port, tube or injections (this might help with one of the medical problems)

2. Second opinion -- go to UK hospital group (Anne Diamond recieved corrective surgery there following her disaster in Belgium) or BUPA website on obseity surgery (they suggest 3 different bariatric surgeons: two commercial and one private NHS).

3. Negative press -- GMTV, the Daily Mail and other media outlets would love this kind of story. They may pay you some money -- enough to pay for corrective surgery.

4. find a lawyer on legal aid -- got to citizens advice about legal aid, ask the UK lapband forum for advice on lawyers and generally ask around.

Ultimately, it depends what you really want.

Dr A will have malpractice insurance so suing him, whilst a nice revenge, isn't really going to hurt him - but it will make you feel better temporarily. Depending on the severity of your problems, it could even make you rich -- but maybe not slim!

Before they cut you adrift though, I would make sure that the problems you have suffered have not left you with permanent health problems. That would be the worst of all possible worlds.

PM me if you want to talk.

Hi Karen, this was great advice above.

The first thing I thought of was (get a lawyer) how sad I was for all of your woes. Cyber hugs your way. Mistakes happen and the doctor was willing to correct the mistake. Yours is the first time I have ever heard of anyone having that kind of serious problems. Wow. Can you see another surgeon? While pursuing getting my body healed, I would be recording everything, saying nothing, and seeking legal assistance. Get copies of everything under the pretense you want a second opinion.

Mr A in Karens case did not fit the band he is purly the Medical Director at the healthy weight Centers. Mr Paul Super fitted the band and did the follow up correctice operations and he never noticed that he A, Initally fitted the band wrong and B. Never noticed it when the numerus x rays were done or even when he had her back on the operating table to fix any of the problems.

Second going to The Hopital Group were Anna Diamond had her band wouldnt be much good because Mr Paul Super who fitted her band works there also?? They too don't have the bext reputations And Anne Dimond is free Advertising for them so of course she will get the best of the best.

Press is a good Idea also but it has to be factual, Firlty UK press love a sad fatty story so could turn this round and just make Keren look like a sad desperado who has had a operation to lose weight and is bitter because it hasn't worked.

So back to the real world.

Karen had x-rays the radiologist is saying the band is open but Dr Ashton who phoned her has said the band is fitted on the left ventrical not ther right?????? while admitting he had not yet seen the x rays. But he wants to take the band out!

What the for Karen i mean to they remburse her for all the hassle she has had emotionally and the three operations only to end up loseing her band at the end of it or. Will they just leave it at that as she is odviously becoming expencive they probbaly have allready spent any profit they may have maid trying to fix the origional bitch up's.

that does not seem fair to me just to take it out and leave her. And if they feffere her to another consultant it will just be one within the same medical group one who is willing to back up the surgon and say it wasn't his fault.

Indipendandt second opinion is what is needed and if the Healthy Weight Center had any gumption they would fund it. if they felt that there was nothing wrong they have nothing to worry about would they.

In all instances a Soliciter should be consulted AND if you do go to the press contact the many more patients who have experienced a nightmare under this same consultant then lets put a complaint in to the GMC as a group.

We are only isolated cases while we do not work together.

Sorry to hear of your awful circumstances... hugs to you...but don't give up.

:) update us soon.