Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Glucophage for weight loss?

I was also on it for a while with no side affects and no weight loss. I just got put on the new drug Januvia because Metformin didn't do a whole lot for me at 1500 mgs......has anyone heard of it?

I have been on it for over 3 years and may have lost 10 lbs initially but I have gained it back and then some. I am on it for PCOS/IR I still get thae trots daily in the morning but that doesn't bother me anymore it's pretty much immediately after I eat. The first 3 months on it I had no appetite and had to force myself to eat. I wouldn't recommend it for weight loss!!!

I have PCOS and was put on it after I had my son because I'm insulin resistant. I didn't take it because I knew that if I just ate a low carb diet my PCOS symptoms would go away.

I have been taking 1000mg of glucophage 2x daily for about 8 years and unfortunately can not say it has caused me to ever lose weight.

I've been taking 1000mg BID for weight loss for a while now and have not lost any weight, either. I have NEVER had any side effects at all from it. I know that many people have, but I've been fortunate.

I have been on Glucophage since Dec. 18, 2006 along with Byetta. I have lost some weight, but I believe it's because of the Byetta I'm on to go with it and not the Glucophage. My doctor told me Byetta is now being studied as a weight loss drug because most people who are on it lose weight. I haven't had the side effect everyone has talked about on it, so I'm very lucky. I am diabetic, so I take it for my blood glucose.

Joan

Hi Joan,

I am also diabetic and taking Glucophage/Metformin every night. My endo told me about Byetta but since I am giving myself a shot every night of growth hormone, she didn't want to overwhelm me. She said that Byetta has something in it that makes people lose weight. I am not afraid of needles, so I would like to try it. I am not banded yet and probably won't be, so I have to find some way to lose weight.

Peace,

Judy

I am not banded

My doctor put me on Byetta a couple of months ago. I lost weight since taking it but it is supposed to regulate my blood sugars. I have not been able to take it as prescribed but am trying to keep a regular schedule of it. He started me off with 5mg and after a month put me on 10mg. He said that if my levels don't go down he will put me on glucophage which when I took in the past gave me the trots. So I don't look forward to taking that. I hope by my next appointment I can get my levels down.

I have PCOS as well and took Metformin (Glucophage) for it. I tried the regular and the extended release forms, but it gave me diarrhea so badly that I was literally unable to go out for a meal. My husband called it my "clockwork input/output mechanism." I was on it for about 6 months and I did loose weight in combination with a low carb diet, but the GI issues never went away.

I guess depends on your stomach if you can take it or not.

Hi Joan,

I am also diabetic and taking Glucophage/Metformin every night. My endo told me about Byetta but since I am giving myself a shot every night of growth hormone, she didn't want to overwhelm me. She said that Byetta has something in it that makes people lose weight. I am not afraid of needles, so I would like to try it. I am not banded yet and probably won't be, so I have to find some way to lose weight.

Peace,

Judy

I am not banded

Judy,

I'm not banded yet either, but am going to be in the next few months. I'm sorry you are not banded, but why won't you be? Just curious.

~Joan~

Hi Joan,

I won't be banded anytime soon because of financial problems. I was denied financing from two companies, even w/a co-signer, and my Uncle(who has alot of money), is completely against it as is my Mom and brother. So, no support there. Some day I hope to be banded.

thanks,

Judy

I was also on it for a while with no side affects and no weight loss. I just got put on the new drug Januvia because Metformin didn't do a whole lot for me at 1500 mgs......has anyone heard of it?

I've read about it and how it works. Very interesting! Is it working well for you?

~Joan~

My doctor put me on Byetta a couple of months ago. I lost weight since taking it but it is supposed to regulate my blood sugars. I have not been able to take it as prescribed but am trying to keep a regular schedule of it. He started me off with 5mg and after a month put me on 10mg. He said that if my levels don't go down he will put me on glucophage which when I took in the past gave me the trots. So I don't look forward to taking that. I hope by my next appointment I can get my levels down.

Taking it as prescribed is very important. I know about the nausea thing, because it sure made me nauseated, but it went away after a few days. There is no way for it to control your blood sugar. Is it making you nauseated or what? Just curious!

~Joan~

If you are an individual who gets queezy easily, do not read my post.

I was placed on glucophage for my diabetes. I am not insulin resistant. I am very severly obese.

From about the second day on this drug, the white large horse pill rain through me with all stomach contents to an explosive end. I had projectile diarrhea, my rectum developed several hemmeroids that dropped and soon began to bleed. After a year, I was sick, weak, mentally fuzzy, and nauseated. The only thing that would stay down and in was carbs. I gained back the 30 I lost in the beginning. I was seeing the Physician's Assistant until I insisted on seeing my doctor. He took me off the drug, spent almost an hour with me, switched my meds and ordered tests. It took about four weeks for my body to go back to normal. It took four months for my rectum to return to normal or what is close to normal.

I need my surgery.

I am very interested in taking or knowing more about Byetta, I just decided today I would go back on Phetermine which caused chest pains, because I am getting bigger by the day, and I hurt alot because I cant carry the weight at 5'2, 208lbs, either way I'm still wasting away.

Anyone tell me more send a link.

:D NOT BANDED:cry