Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I feel like I can eat anything and there is no band!

I have been struggling with gas, aftermath of anaesthesia and the like. today, I finally feel good, and now what???? I'm hungry, able to eat anything, and feel the same as I did before I got the band! How can that be?????

The band doesn't do its job until you get fills and find your "sweet spot". I was banded one day after you and I can eat way more than I should. I have only lost one pound since I have been on mushies. I have only lost while I was on liquids. I know it will get better when I can eat real food (regular food) and can get a fill or two.

It is tough, but we have to hang in there to give it time to do what it is supposed to do to help us in our journey.

I have been struggling with gas, aftermath of anaesthesia and the like. today, I finally feel good, and now what???? I'm hungry, able to eat anything, and feel the same as I did before I got the band! How can that be?????

Because, as someone else on this board said, you have the tool. It's just not turned on yet. It won't be working for you until you get to a good fill level.

Betsyjane, did your doctor tell you to have a liquid diet? Mushies, or what? I am curious becuase I was banded 2 days after you and I am on liquids and Jello, etc....and I am feeling full. When my band was placed it wasnt filled, I'm just swollen. But, I do feel like I want to stuff a medium well steak and smothered baked potato in my blender!

I'm on mushies and have been since day 3. I called my Dr's office and they said it's not true that there's no restriction until it is filled...They said having the band at all is a restriction and I should be able tp use it as a tool. Although I'm not steak and potatoeing, I think that's due to fear, not restriction. I don't feel any different if I eat 8 ounces or 4, larger bites or pulverized, etc.

I'm hungry, able to eat anything, and feel the same as I did before I got the band! How can that be?????

You have NO fill yet, thats why. Relax! The band works when it is filled. Once you get your fills things will change but right now you need to practice patience and not focus on losing weight during this 6 week pre fill stage. Focus on healing. You will gain and lose a few pounds during this phase. Trust me we all did.

Thanks. I'm actually pleased with everything but the weight. I'm eating in a calm and reasonable way, and my choices are good. I did splurge once though and that's what started all this. I got scared that it was possible to mess up so badly with no punishment. I want to be beaten for my sins. Auuuggghh.

I was told not to lift more than 5 pounds for the next 3 months. Anybody else? Seems like a long time.

Hum, no, I wasn't told anything like that at all. I was told to be careful for 6 weeks, and to pay attention to how I felt. I can't remember any specific weight.

I'm wondering, has your surgeon been doing bands long? Between this and them telling you that just having the band should give you restriction, I have to wonder. Not only is it very different from what I was told, it's different then much of what I've read.

Some people do have restriction from just having the band, but not most.

Actually, he's been doing them longer than anyone else in Texas. Is part of the NIH team that evaluates studies submitted on lap bands, etc etc. He's one of the guys here who bands the doctors.....

Betsy, like the other responses. The band doesn't work until you get your first fill. You will be okay after that. I've had 4 fills now and the weight is really coming off. Good luck.

I was told not to lift more than 5 pounds for the next 3 months. Anybody else? Seems like a long time.

I was also told not to lift anything heavier than about 5lbs for 3 months. Or lift weights or do abdominal exercises. Walking and light arm weights for exercises are fine...the little ones! Also, due to infflamation you should have some restriction...I know i s till do have some and it has been since Nov, 7! I am just now getting down a few very mushy foods, but mostly still on anything I can drink through a straw. I do not feel real hunger because I am eating lots of Protein now,,,I add extra Protein powder to my shakes. smoothies and smoothie ice creams that I make. I also add Protein to unsweetened yougurt and a bit of fruit and stevia to sweeten...yummy and good for you! If you can get the low fat greek style yogurt it feels like you are really sinning! :) I also have added a bit of powdered unsweetened cocoa powder to yougurt or smoothies and feel like I am sinning , but I am not! So now that I am at 60 grms of protein or a bit more...I feel good:clap2:

Also, I am using a baby spoon to eat these things and it takes time and I feel satisfied. Anything too chunky I still cannot eat...and I am not supposed to... so hang in there you will do great!

Yes, you have to heal first. I think my doctor waited about 6 weeks before my first fill. It might have been a month I don't remember. You will feel a ton better after 1 or 2 fills. Good luck.