Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I feel like I can eat anything and there is no band!

I was banded the 15th and I am still on liquids as well. I may go to mushies tomorrow when I have my first check.

I can barely get down 1/4 - 1/3 of a sugar free Jello package letting it disolve and a popscicle at one sitting and it takes me more than 30 minutes to do it.

Actually Dr. Spiegal has more experience than Spivak and more successful surgeries as far as TX dr's go. Spivak is a great surgeon and has been in the state longer but is not the most exprierienced TX dr. I am not saying Spiegal is the most either cause I just do not know, TX is a big place! I know several people who went to him Spivak and he is way more hands on. But as for surgical experience and success, Spiegal has more!

I too was told something similar. It was not to lift more than 30 pounds for 3 months. Someone that I know who went to Spivak has small children and she was able to life them the monday after. So I don't know. My doctor told me I could lift but to listen to my body if I felt pulling it was too heavy. I am not lifting anything cause I want to be careful!

Hi I To Used Dr. Spivak. He Made Me Wait 1 Month Before My First Fill. Before That I Felt I Had Liitle If No Restriction. I Even Had A Slice Of pizza. But Then I Had A Fill 1.3 The First Time In A 4cc Band. Always Ask How Much In Your Fill. It Worked Good After About Three Days. It Was Tight And I Was Limited In How Much I Ate. Yogurt. Cream Of Wheat Vegetables. Then 7 Weeks Later I Had Another Fill. I Asked His Assitant To Be A Little Aggressive With The Fill Since I Had Only Lost 16 Pounds. From 217 To 201. She Granted My Wish And Again After A Few Days I Was Extremly Tight. Only Able To Drink shakes And Soup Or Creamed Veggies. I Know Some To Not Think This Is A Good Idea But My Daughters Wedding Was In 6 Months So I Really Wanted It. I Am So Happy That I Did. It Was Not Up Until Then Did I Realise That Before I Did Eat Alot During The Day. Grazing. I Really Believed I Did Not Eat That Much. I Also Learned To Chew My food And Eat Very Slow. I Also Learned What Slim Means An Pb Means . I Am Down 71 Pounds With Only 6 More To Goal Weight And I Have Done It Since Jan. 25,2006

I Really Thank Dr. Spivak For His Help

Thanks for the advice. I'll ask for an aggressive fill. Right now, I am waiting for my first fill and am not feeling a restriction.....

I called my Dr's office and they said it's not true that there's no restriction until it is filled.

There is a "small majority" that have restriction without being filled. But NOT everyone is that fortunate. Iam suprised your Dr. did not tell you that.

Well I was just banded on Monday and yesterday I could only get down 1 popsicle and a few oz of Water and of course tylenol and gas x....Today my doctor told me I should force myself to eat even just a little but I dont feel like it and I certainly dont want to dehydrate...Just dont know what to do...

Well for starts, your band isn't filled, mine either so were both in the same boat. Are you doing protien shakes, sugar free puddings on the side "if you are hungry" Try some creamy Soups, it might help. Protien really helps my appetite. Don't feed yourself because you think youre hungry.. waite about 1 hr. if the hunger should dissapear, then you no it's in your head. "as they tell me!" If you are still hungry have a little something. just eanough to take the edge off. get back.

I was told not to lift more than 5 pounds for the next 3 months. Anybody else? Seems like a long time.

I was told not to lift 10 pounds for 6 weeks. But with the baby, I know I didn't follow that very well and had no problems.

One of the things I'm beginning to figure out is that it's like any other doctor's office. The story changes just a bit depending on who you talk with. Dr said no lifting more than 5 pounds for 3 months. Nurse said be careful for 3 months, receptionist said don't lift for 6 weeks and be careful for 3 months. Add to that that I had some instructions while I was coming out of anaesthetic and probably not remembering clearly, and the different instructions by different doctors mentioned here...and the bottom line is....I'm still responsible for my own health decisions, based on whatever info I can gather! Life is life, eh?

When I woke up from the surgery I was hungry. I evidently had little swelling and remained hungry until I moved to solid foods. Please follow your doctor's instructions and don't cheat during this phase. Get some fear and keep to the rules. Eating solids when you are supposed to be on liquids is not a good thing.

After surgery the stomach needs time to heal and the area surrounding it needs to get used to the sutures holding the band. Eating foods, especially forbidden ones, can aggravate the situation and cause you problems.

Fills can be a whole different ballgame. Solids you can eat before, may not be tollerated after a fill. Asking for an aggressive fill might not be in your best interest. I had a smooth recovery, little swelling, yet when I started with fills I was surprised. The first fill caused me to PB 5 days afterwards. I had to go have some taken out. The second fill I reacted about 10 days afterwards. I've since learned that my body can not tolerate large fills and I must go in the .2 or .3 steps.

During the healing time, which is where you are now, you should try to get your liquids in, get 60 g of Protein through shakes, etc., and snack on Jello, yogurt, SF pudding, etc.

Once you move to mushies you can have foods that offer a bit more bulk, like creamed Soups, mashed potatoes. Once you are on solid foods, chew, chew, chew. Put your portions on a smaller plate and don't eat beyond the portioned amount. Eat slowly.

Relax and get to know your band. Eat as if there is restriction and stay afraid of what might happen. You will be less likely to try and eat around the band if you have a good dose of fear of the consequences. :eek:

I Am Down 71 Pounds With Only 6 More To Goal Weight And I Have Done It Since Jan. 25,2006

I Really Thank Dr. Spivak For His Help

That is so awesome that you are at goal for the wedding congrats to you! I have heard such great things about Spivak from so many people!

When I woke up from the surgery I was hungry. I evidently had little swelling and remained hungry until I moved to solid foods. Please follow your doctor's instructions and don't cheat during this phase. Get some fear and keep to the rules. Eating solids when you are supposed to be on liquids is not a good thing.

After surgery the stomach needs time to heal and the area surrounding it needs to get used to the sutures holding the band. Eating foods, especially forbidden ones, can aggravate the situation and cause you problems.

Fills can be a whole different ballgame. Solids you can eat before, may not be tollerated after a fill. Asking for an aggressive fill might not be in your best interest. I had a smooth recovery, little swelling, yet when I started with fills I was surprised. The first fill caused me to PB 5 days afterwards. I had to go have some taken out. The second fill I reacted about 10 days afterwards. I've since learned that my body can not tolerate large fills and I must go in the .2 or .3 steps.

During the healing time, which is where you are now, you should try to get your liquids in, get 60 g of Protein through shakes, etc., and snack on Jello, yogurt, SF pudding, etc.

Once you move to mushies you can have foods that offer a bit more bulk, like creamed Soups, mashed potatoes. Once you are on solid foods, chew, chew, chew. Put your portions on a smaller plate and don't eat beyond the portioned amount. Eat slowly.

Relax and get to know your band. Eat as if there is restriction and stay afraid of what might happen. You will be less likely to try and eat around the band if you have a good dose of fear of the consequences. :eek:

WELL SAID !!!!!!