Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Meeting Surgeon on March 7th

Now I completed the Options program which is a prerequisite for Kaiser Habor City Bariatrics.....also your required to lose 10% of your body wt by time you meet the surgeon...Have I lost 10% not even close maybe 4%....but I'm just curious about what happens...Has anyone had this experience? I'm not worried because it is what it ...but looking for some feedback?

I am totally baffled by requirements like this....losing 10% of your body weight? One reason for having WLS is because of unsuccessful attempts at dieting...what are they trying to prove with such a requirement? I can see some doctors requiring a pre-surgery liquid diet for a short period but requiring a 10% weight loss before even consulting with the surgeon? what the?

I have Kaiser Nor Cal and we don't have an options program, but we do have to lose the 10% wt. I'm still bouncing from 3-5 lbs to my goal wt and its driving me nuts. Hang in there! Hoping to meet my goal by next Friday after my monthly.

Sent from my DROID using VST

I understand why it's to reduce the chances of complications during surgery, specifically to shrink the liver and I'm good with that, but I feel what your saying.

I am totally baffled by requirements like this....losing 10% of your body weight? One reason for having WLS is because of unsuccessful attempts at dieting...what are they trying to prove with such a requirement? I can see some doctors requiring a pre-surgery liquid diet for a short period but requiring a 10% weight loss before even consulting with the surgeon? what the?

Also I went through 12 weeks of nutrition classes, journaling, food logs the whole 9. So that was an advantage with the 4% wt loss...just now I'm not where I'm expected to be and wondering will the surgeon be like "call me when you lose that 6%"...I guess I will see on the 7th.

Here at Kaiser Nor Cal...my surgeon suggested the sleeve for me, but ultimately its my choice, went through a few things with wt history, gave me a goal wt, met with nutritionist, and coordinator who gave me instructions upon meeting my goal wt. This was all done in the same appt. When you are within 5lbs of your goal wt send in completed questionnaire and when your at goal go to your nearest Kaiser and get your wt electronically logged in and they should call you soon after with a surgery date. That's if you have completed all other necessary tests like blood work, sleep apnea if needed, EKG, and etc.

Sent from my DROID using VST

kimkai, I actually think all of the prep work you described is actually for the best, since it helps you make an informed and not rushed decision...I also am 100% for following whatever your dr. recommends, and I know all drs. have their own protocols and requirements based on their own practices and experience...I know about the liver shrinkage benefit, but most I've heard is the 30-day pre-op diet for that purpose...it just seems like a lot to expect a patient to lose 10% of their body weight before surgery...for me, that would be almost 30 lbs.

kimkai' date=' I actually think all of the prep work you described is actually for the best, since it helps you make an informed and not rushed decision...I also am 100% for following whatever your dr. recommends, and I know all drs. have their own protocols and requirements based on their own practices and experience...I know about the liver shrinkage benefit, but most I've heard is the 30-day pre-op diet for that purpose...it just seems like a lot to expect a patient to lose 10% of their body weight before surgery...for me, that would be almost 30 lbs.[/quote']

Your so very right....Options taught me so much about myself in relations to food...but 30lbs does seem like alot to do by yourself when your asking for help by getting sleeved. I was hoping someone already experienced this 10% dilemma and can share their outcome after meeting the surgeon..Now I feel like I'm putting to much thought into. So I'm going to close this up because I don't want to get stuck on the " what if" when I have almost two weeks to go. So one day at a time for me. Thanks again your post is very positive and uplifting.

Hi..I went through the options program and was sleeved on November 20, 2013. I was told I needed to lose the 10% which was 34 lbs. when I met with my surgeon on November 8 I had only lost 12 lbs. My surgeon had no problem with it. He placed me on a low calorie diet for 12 days. His main concern was that my liver be small enough to perform the surgery laparoscopically. Don't stress over the weight loss. Concentrate on making life changing habits. While I learned a lot from the options classes I was scared to death that they wouldn't perform the surgery until I lost the 10%.

Ohh... I also had my surgery at Kaiser Harbor City.

Hi..I went through the options program and was sleeved on November 20' date=' 2013. I was told I needed to lose the 10% which was 34 lbs. when I met with my surgeon on November 8 I had only lost 12 lbs. My surgeon had no problem with it. He placed my on a low calorie diet for 12 days. His main concern was that my liver be small enough to perform the surgery laparoscopically. Don't stress over the weight loss. Concentrate on making life changing habits. While I learned a lot from the options classes I was scared to death that they wouldn't perform the surgery until I lost the 10%.

Ohh... I also had my surgery at Kaiser Harbor City.[/quote']

Nice... who was your doc? I'm seeing Dr. Mun

Dr. Mun was my surgeon. Him and his team were awesome. There was a total of 12 days in between the first time I met him and my surgery date. He puts all his patients on a very low cal diet (2 Protein Shakes and 1 small meal). My procedure was about 29 minutes and I experienced very little pain afterward.

Dr. Mun was my surgeon. Him and his team were awesome. There was a total of 12 days in between the first time I met him and my surgery date. He puts all his patients on a very low cal diet (2 Protein shakes and 1 small meal). My procedure was about 29 minutes and I experienced very little pain afterward.

Hey MsL7 met Dr. Mun today and like you my surgery is in 12 days. He is very informative with the pictures and all and he does not suger coat....how are things going for you.

Good!! Congrats! I'm happy for you. Those days are gonna go by so fast. Dr. Mun is the best and the treatment i got from the hospital was phenomenal.

Things are good for me. I've had a couple stalls but I'm down 55lbs. I thought I wasn't losing enough but the nutritionist that I met with said don't worry. We put too much pressure to lose quickly but I'm right on track.

I made the mistake the other day of eating too much..omg. That was the worst feeling ever! I don't ever want to feel that way again.

Keep us posted on your progress!