Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January Bandsters???

Hey guys,

I remember we were talking about this earlier this month, but are we going to get some sort of exercise challenge going? I think it would be really motivational for all of us. I would organize it, but I don't even know where to start lol! I mean, I guess we could make a goal to do 20 mins of exercise 4-5X a week. Any suggestions?????

PS-I ate 2 oz of ground turkey for dinner and I'm still stuffed, this is so weird but in a good way!

PPS-Keep up the good work and thanks for all your support guys! :)

I would love to be a part of a challenge. I need a kick in the butt!!!!

Maybe we can start a separate thread, like January bandsters exercise challenge or something like that? Or should we keep it here?

I know when I have accountability I do it!

I think that so many of us are struggling with this same issue right now. I go for my first fill on Thursday, but am not getting my hopes up for much restriction as from what I can tell most don't on the first fill.

I have been trying to limit the carbs and concentrate on the Protein. If I can get a good amount of protein in and stay away from the carbs for a couple of days, I seem to lose that terrible craving to eat all of the time.

I am also frustrated right now, as I guess I was not prepared to have to deal with my hunger and appetite for another couple of months after surgery. I had read it on the posts, but somehow it just didn't really sink in. Just trying to be patient right now AND IT IS HARD!!!

thank you so much - I feel the same... I had to know it was going to still be there (hunger) but somehow, especially after not even wanting to eat the first two weeks, I thought it might have a better time.

I am going to try to cut back on carbs, and also get moving more. I have been exercising a bit but not much.

So you get to have a fill 4 weeks out? I am so jealous :) I wish I could get a fill this week. It may take more than one, but it would be a start. :)

Just checking in myself. I had my first fill on Feb 12, and felt a little restriction for a few days, but soon was back to being hungry again in a couple hours. At my first fill I asked for the fill to be small because I wasn't wanting any problems and didn't think I needed to be aggressive. I called my doctor office today and they said I could come back for another fill this week. Yea!

I have heard from other Bandster veterans that the real weight loss begins at about 3 months. So I think anything lost before that is a real bonus.

An exercise challenge would be great. I need the motivation and accountability. I do walk some but not as much as I should.

I had not told anyone about my surgery except for my supportive husband. I told him that if someone close asked how I lost weight that I would answer honestly, but I wanted to wait until someone noticed. Yesterday my oldest daughter told me she noticed I have lost weight. She asked me if I had the gastric bypass done. I honestly said no. Then she asked if I had that band-thing done. I said yes and giggled. She thought I was joking around with her. Finally she pinned me down and I told her the truth. She was very supportive. Today I went through the same conversation with my sister.

Guess the cat's out of the bag. I hope it doesn't make the newspaper in this small little town.

I absolutely loved the comments about hunger pains not being as bad as too full pains. Balance. Oh so true.

Thanks for keeping me encouraged all my bandster friends.

Terry

I was also band 1/31 and I am not scheduled for my fill until 3/15 and that is 6 weeks. I could really use the fill now. I do not get the full feeling any more. I am trying to limit what I am eating. I had lost 38 but over the last week I have gain 10 back. My weight has been flucating from day to day by at least 5 pounds. It is really frustrating. My cloths however do feel loose. I have been trying to walk on the treadmill at least 3 times a week.

I would be up for the excercise challenge.

Okay, I was banded Jan 12. I had my first fill yesterday. As I mentioned before I was using my Dr.'s scale as my official, but because I weigh in the evenings, fully clothed at his office, I'm switching to mine.

Now, my fill went really well. He numbed the spot first. There's been a lot of back and forth regarding the numbing, for me...it felt similar to alcohol on an open wound. As long as you don't breath, it doesn't sting. At the first sting, I immediately caught my breath for a few seconds. By the time I inhaled, it had already done its job. Wasn't bad at all.

Now, I was told that my band holds about 12cc. He started by putting in 5cc. Yes, I know... Then he had me sitiup (with the needle still in) and drink some Water. It backed up, so he removed some of the saline. He asked me again if it was still backing up, or going through...I opened my mouth to respond and up came a burp. I laughed and said, "I believe it's going through now." :)

Hi That Girl,

How about an appetite suppresant? I would ask the Dr. first but maybe that will help. I know Audrey uses QuickSlim 30 and says it works well. I've noticed others use other forms of suppesants.

Shawn

That Girl,

I agree with Shawn, it doesn't hurt to ask. What you're feeling is normal, though.

Pennst8er,

Congratulations on the weight loss! That includes pre-op, too, doesn't it? Either way you're doing good.

:) warning- this might sound whiny to those of you having a better experience or maybe more self control...

:)Argh:D

I was banded 1/31 and I was doing so awesome for the first 2 weeks- port pain but no vomiting or anything... then all of a sudden last Monday (2.5 weeks out) I was so hungry I swear it was like I never had surgery. I had lost 20 pounds since surgery and now I am gaining it all back- I feel very little restriction and am not even making good choices. My port hurts quite a bit still, all incisions are doing well

Anyhow, I called last week and tried to talk them into giving me a fill. I know, I am supposed to be healing but I waited so long for a weight loss tool that worked and now I feel like I am losing the bit of progress that I made. Anyhow, they (of course) said not until I am 6 weeks out. 6 weeks! That didn't seem so long before but now that I am hungry and not getting restriction until I've eaten too much. Does every doctor make you wait 6 weeks?

What do I do? I am getting so depressed, it feels like another failed diet. Please don't hammer me <DUCKS>I know I need to make good choices when I eat and I am trying but I feel like a failure already.

Is any of this normal? I read some posts that talk about being hungry but then again some of you have lost a lot already. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thatgirl - you don't sound whiny at all! you sound just like what a lot of us are going through. I also tried to bug my doctor to give me a fill at the first appt. He didn't even take me very seriously - so that didn't work - haha! I finally had a fill yesterdy - we'll see how it goes. The 5th week was actually the most annoying for me - trying to adjust to solid food while seeming to be hungry or wanting more or something.

Hang in there - everything you're saying is OH so normal - at least around this board.

From snowy, stormy Oregon!

Hey guys,

I remember we were talking about this earlier this month, but are we going to get some sort of exercise challenge going? I think it would be really motivational for all of us. I would organize it, but I don't even know where to start lol! I mean, I guess we could make a goal to do 20 mins of exercise 4-5X a week. Any suggestions?????

PS-I ate 2 oz of ground turkey for dinner and I'm still stuffed, this is so weird but in a good way!

PPS-Keep up the good work and thanks for all your support guys! :)

Shues, I remember that too - I'm up for it if others are.

I am in too. I need to get moving.

I had my 1st fill today. Because I still have some restriction he wanted to be conservative so I only got .5 cc's. I am bummed but I don't want to be overfilled (not likely to happen with .5 cc's) I can go back after 2-3 weeks for another if its not doing anything. They had me drink some Water and it went down fine. I am on liquids today, mush tomorrow and soft the next day. I feel fuller on the Atkins Protein Drink than I normally would be. I can't come close to finishing it. So we will see. I had started putting weight back on and that was frustrating. I am just using the drs weights in my signature now, its just easier. I lost a total of 23 in the 1st 6 weeks.

I would love to be a part of a challenge. I need a kick in the butt!!!!

Maybe we can start a separate thread, like January bandsters exercise challenge or something like that? Or should we keep it here?

I know when I have accountability I do it!

I need an exercise challenge big time! Let's do it! A separate thread would be nice -- it would be easier to follow. Either way is good for me though.

Maria

My turn to check in...

I got my first fill last Thursday. It went well -- it was so easy. I was on liquids all day that day. That weekend, though, wow... I could eat ANYTHING. I even ate two pieces of pizza (thin crust, at least) Sunday night! Come Monday morning things changed very quickly. My fill kicked in like mad. I could only manage 3 bites of cottage cheese and 4 peach slices and I was full! Wow! It's been going on like that today too. I hope it keeps up. I even notice I have to be careful how big of sips of Water I take. Now, if I can only get going with the exercise, I should be in good shape (pun intended haha)!

I'm a little bummed out this week though. I'm so so bloated from PMS. I can't wait to go back on the pill next cycle. It's just sucks to have tight jeans when everything has been so good the past month. I know it's transient though... I'll probably pee out 5lbs at the end of this week!

Maria

That Girl !

You are not whining anymore than the rest of us !

I believe it is called Lap Band hell !!

I am in exactly the same spot !

It never even registered with me when they said 6wks for my first fill ? I think I just wanted the surgery so bad. I had been turned down by my Ins.2xs. We decided to self pay and NOT delay any longer. Then when I came home from surgery,I had to force myself to eat and was so full with a fourth of a cup ! I thought at last this is what every overweight person has dreamed of eat a few bites and you are stuffed, Then ever so slowly as the weeks progressed so did my appetite Grrr !

Here is what I am trying to do ! Eat Plenty of protien ! I find it staves off the hunger.

Have you tried the Low fat Laughing Cow cheese Yum 1 triangle is only 30 cal sometimes I take healthy Choice Deli ( 6 slices is a seving)selects and lettuce leaves and smear the Laughing Cow cheese on the lettuce and roll it up ! You can eat more than one and it is so filling because it is full of protien.

Don't think you are alone because we are all struggling and I am hoping my first fill will hold me for awhile because I have to pay $250 bucks a fill. Now that might curb my appetite :-(

Hang in there !

Joanne

:) warning- this might sound whiny to those of you having a better experience or maybe more self control...

:mad: Argh:P

I was banded 1/31 and I was doing so awesome for the first 2 weeks- port pain but no vomiting or anything... then all of a sudden last Monday (2.5 weeks out) I was so hungry I swear it was like I never had surgery. I had lost 20 pounds since surgery and now I am gaining it all back- I feel very little restriction and am not even making good choices. My port hurts quite a bit still, all incisions are doing well

Anyhow, I called last week and tried to talk them into giving me a fill. I know, I am supposed to be healing but I waited so long for a weight loss tool that worked and now I feel like I am losing the bit of progress that I made. Anyhow, they (of course) said not until I am 6 weeks out. 6 weeks! That didn't seem so long before but now that I am hungry and not getting restriction until I've eaten too much. Does every doctor make you wait 6 weeks?

What do I do? I am getting so depressed, it feels like another failed diet. Please don't hammer me <ducks> I know I need to make good choices when I eat and I am trying but I feel like a failure already.

Is any of this normal? I read some posts that talk about being hungry but then again some of you have lost a lot already. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I know exactly how u feel. I read all the post and I feel like such a failure. I was banded 1/22 and have only lost 6lbs. I get depressed everytime I read the post. I have no restriction but I don't get hungry. like today I got so busy I didn't eat until 6 this evening. I know I have to plan more. I know that I am going to b alright, but I am so in bandster hell.

I just don't want to be like my friend who was banded 6 yrs ago and Is still 300lbs. please pray for me.

God will perfect those things that concern me.

I will loose the weight & I will feel great about me.