Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post sleevers, please help

My surgery is scheduled in nine days. I am starting to get scared. Not really second thoughts, but maybe they are a little. I'm 38 years old. 6' tall & 331 lbs. BMI is 44. Reasons for sleeving.... 1. I have 5 young children, & want to be a role model for them. 2. I want to be able to be active with my children. 3. I want to look good & be desirable to my wife. 4. I, ME, THIS guy, wants to look good & feel good about myself. 5. I want to get rid of my sleep Apnea. 6. My family has a history of diabetes & heart problems that I'd rather not get. 7. I don't want to die early. 8. I'm sick of getting winded walking up stairs. 9. I'm sick of being fat. Reasons for being a little unsure.... 1. Scared about missing food. I am not a grazer. I just eat too big portions. I love eating a huge steak & a few glasses of wine. 2. Scared about not being able to go out with my buddies & drink 7 or 8 beers & have a good time. 3. Could I lose the weight again on my own? Better question: Could I keep it off this time? (I've lost 100lbs. twice before, only to regain.) Exercise isn't an issue with me either---after my last big weight loss I did 6 marathons & a full Ironman (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride, & 26.2 mile run)---finished it in 15 hours. :-) 4. It's irreversible. 5. A little worried about dying in the surgery, although that's probably just nerves talking. Ok, so I realize that my 1st 2 reasons for being unsure are pretty sick in my opinion, & underscore my real problem...I'm addicted to food & self-control. I feel like I could lose weight on my own, but never keep it off. I guess my reasons for doing this (myself & my family) FAR outweigh the fears, but I just wanted to put out there what I'm thinking. Maybe other people have felt very similar to how I feel. If you did, please tell me your story.

Jason - same boat here (well, minus the wife and kids and marathons) - but Ioved eating huge meals (especially at night), going out with friends and getting plastered (seriously, I loved getting wasted) - I haven't missed food at all, and now when I go out with my friends, it's a little weird (being totally honest) but I wouldn't trade how I feel today for the largest burrito in California or the wildest weekend in Vegas.

I feel great and I'm going to be a-okay...actually more than a-okay - I can't remember being this content in most of my adult life. Best decision I have made in a loooong time and haven't stopped smiling!

I am 5' 11", 42, weighed 321 when I was approved for surgery (October), and weigh 270 now. I had surgery on 1/14. I won't blow smoke up your a$$ and say it's been easy. I knew this would be hard and it's harder than I thought it would be. I miss food all of the time. I'm finally on soft foods and can blend up basically anything I want (within reason). I've spent this weekend with my family of wine drinkers content to drink my Protein drinks. Honestly, your body changes and you don't want the large portions because it physically hurts you to eat too much. You don't want the alcohol because you can only drink 2oz every 15 minutes anyway and it's empty calories! Once you see those pounds start to come off the scale THAT will be your new addiction.

I was so nervous before hand too, which is normal!!. I cried when I said goodbye to my family. Just know you're in good hands. Have faith. The first couple of days are rough, but it gets better every day. Talk to a psych professional if you're having serious doubts. I've been seeing a psychologist since October and it has helped me immensely.

If you're a food addict and you're prone to gain it back then this tool will be beneficial. And remember, it's surgery for your stomach, not for your brain.

Good luck!!

Im a realist and don't belief in telling people alot of fluff so I will give it to you straight.

1) Scared about missing food - You are what you eat - period. I will not lie to you - The sleeve gives you the tool lose the weight - but its up to you to not eat crap and gain all the weight back. On ocassion I will eat things like pizza and other junk, but its only on occasion. Its a slippery slope though, especially with the carbs. If you eat crappy quality carbs you wake up the carb cravings and can get yourself in trouble. Do I miss junk food - not as much as I thought I would - and if I absolutely HAVE to have something I eat it - just not a whole box.

2) drinking beers - Im not a drinker but I can tell you this - Beer is carbs and makes you fat. You also will get drunk quicker with less beer. If getting plastered with your friends is a must for you I do not reccomend you endulge in that behavior too often. I know alot of bariatric patients who gain LOTS back due to alcohol. Its empty useless fat promoting calories. The sleeve will not stop you from drinking 8 beers - remember liquid slides right on through.

3) Can you lose the weight on your own - I'll say this much. The odds are against you. For me it was IMPOSSIBLE. I was a quantity eater and I like to be full. Now that I have a tiny stomach I can be full with so much less food and now that my hunger hormones are reduced I get much less hungry. But if I eat crappy carbs my hunger does return with a vengence so refined carbs are the enemy. Without the surgery I would still be an obese 377 pound 36 year old with who know what kind of health issues.

4) its irreversible - so what. Do you want your big bowling ball size stomach back that takes forever to get full and releases all kinds of hunger hormones. I don't miss mine. I still have a fully functioning stomach - just smaller. Your not getting a gastric bypass. Your body will work just the way it always has worked - just better.

5)Your going to die - I can say this - If you do nothing you will die. Also death from the sleeve is really really really low. Bariatric surgery has really come a long way and is very safe now. Worry about how unhealthy you will be without taking control of your obesity. That is the real fear.

Your absolutely normal to be fearful of the unknown. I can tell you that I have zero regrets! I have had no complications and have never even thrown up once. I just had a Tummy Tuck and feel for the first time in my life - happy in my own body. No more looking in the mirror and wanting to PUKE. ALL my health issues went away - no more cpap - no more high blood pressure - etc etc. Its a miracle surgery. Good luck with your journey - Shayne

It's natural to be scared, I was crying on my husbands shoulder minutes before they took me in for the surgery.. all out of fear and the unknown. I had my surgery in November and I think it's the best decision I could have made for myself. I tried all the diets, I lost the weight, regained the weight plus more so many times I lost count. In the end, for me, I realized that all my reasons for wanting the surgery (not all that dissimilar from yours) far outweighed all the reasons that made me doubt getting the surgery. You have to decide what is more important to you... drinking 7 or 8 beers with your friends and eating huge portions of steak with wine, or being here for your children and family, not dying young and not getting the diseases you mentioned that plagued your family. If you stay as heavy as you are, you know the answers to all those questions.. you know what could happen... Is all that worth the 7 or 8 beers or huge portions? Only you can decide that. Yes, there is a risk with surgery and anyone going through this has to be aware of that and complications do happen, it's true... but which is more riskier? Again, only you can decide that with your family and doctor and determine what is best for you.

You will still be able to go out and instead of 8 beers, maybe you have 1 beer, but I wouldn't recommend that, it makes you gain weight.. instead of a huge steak, you will eat some and get to save some for later or another day... just think you will get 2 or 3 meals out of one! All things in moderation and you will learn how to still enjoy all the same things, just on a smaller scale. Bigger does not always mean better.

I've been lucky, my surgery went well and I felt good. I had no real issues other than a muscle soreness. I haven't had any issues eating smaller portions and I actually do not feel hungry at all. I have to remind myself to eat sometime and as you start out slowly, eventually those cravings will go away and by the time you are eating regular foods again (about 3 weeks out) you will not be thinking about those huge portions.. they may actually disgust you. I found that things I enjoyed before, just totally repluse me now I wouldn't want to eat that if I could!

Hang in there, I bet you are doing the right thing for your health. You will have a whole new life. Again, only you can make the right decision for what's best for you and your family!

Good luck!

My surgery is scheduled in nine days. I am starting to get scared. Not really second thoughts' date=' but maybe they are a little. I'm 38 years old. 6' tall & 331 lbs. BMI is 44. Reasons for sleeving.... 1. I have 5 young children, & want to be a role model for them. 2. I want to be able to be active with my children. 3. I want to look good & be desirable to my wife. 4. I, ME, THIS guy, wants to look good & feel good about myself. 5. I want to get rid of my sleep Apnea. 6. My family has a history of diabetes & heart problems that I'd rather not get. 7. I don't want to die early. 8. I'm sick of getting winded walking up stairs. 9. I'm sick of being fat. Reasons for being a little unsure.... 1. Scared about missing food. I am not a grazer. I just eat too big portions. I love eating a huge steak & a few glasses of wine. 2. Scared about not being able to go out with my buddies & drink 7 or 8 beers & have a good time. 3. Could I lose the weight again on my own? Better question: Could I keep it off this time? (I've lost 100lbs. twice before, only to regain.) Exercise isn't an issue with me either---after my last big weight loss I did 6 marathons & a full Ironman (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride, & 26.2 mile run)---finished it in 15 hours. :-) 4. It's irreversible. 5. A little worried about dying in the surgery, although that's probably just nerves talking. Ok, so I realize that my 1st 2 reasons for being unsure are pretty sick in my opinion, & underscore my real problem...I'm addicted to food & self-control. I feel like I could lose weight on my own, but never keep it off. I guess my reasons for doing this (myself & my family) FAR outweigh the fears, but I just wanted to put out there what I'm thinking. Maybe other people have felt very similar to how I feel. If you did, please tell me your story.[/quote']

You remind me of me. I am 36 father of three. Had the lap band in '07. Lost 110 lbs. began to run a lot. Ran four marathons. It became my passion. But problems with the band caused me to eat very poorly. I struggled with weight regain and weight loss. I had no apnea no diabetes no co-morbidities, YET. I knew that this band had to go. But two weeks before my sleeve revision I panicked and mentally cancelled my surgery. Just never called to do it. Even as I lay in the pre-op bed waiting to get wheeled into the OR I almost backed out. Luckily for the drugs that calmed me down. I have had 11 major surgeries. And this one scared me more than any other. But when I woke up and was in my room with my wife, I felt for the first time really happy. Why? Because I had done this for ME. I didn't say it was for anyone, not my wife, not my kids. But for the first time I did it for me. And I think that's important. I went into surgery at 6'1 and 273 lbs. not that bad. A week later I am 260 and not controlled by food or hunger anymore. And I am still scared. There is no going back from this. The band and bypass are both reversible. My stomach is gone for ever. And you know what. Good. It hasn't been good to me ever. Stay on the path. Be true to you. You won't regret it.