Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are the optimum cals and gr protein per day to optimize weight loss?

Had my 1 month follow up today, and am getting back on solid foods. I had bee averaging 450 - 600 cals a day. The NUT said dont worry re Cals just get 60-80 gr Protein, but I know that with too few cals your body feels starved.

Nurse said with my activity I should have between 800 - 1100.

So, in month 2 out from those who have been there - how many cals a day and gr Protein do you average to keep the scales declining optimized?

This is something only your NUT can really tell you. We don't know your history, your muscle mass, activity level, blood work ...

What is right for me is not going to work for you. It is not fair to yourself to compare. Nobody here started with your body or history. If your team has given your guidelines, follow them to the best of your ability.

Just to let you know, I was consuming up to 1,800 calories, 150g of Protein, 150g of carbs, but I was also doing 2 HIIT classes and running 30 miles a week. My wieght was dropping like crazy, if you look at my signature, you can see. I would not recommend anyone consuming that much if you are not going to exercise at those levels.

Everyone is different. Just listen to your team.

thank you

my issue is Im not really fond of my NUT. she said "dont worry" - which really isnt helpful. I understand that each person is different. I am swinning 1 hr a day 7 days a week and weights 3 days a week.

Just looking for trends and will use as input

600 cal per day seems normal for the first month. you will start to want to eat more as time goes on. 800 to 1500 is about normal for most people.

The most important is to chose healthy all rounded food to get proper nutrition within the calorie and Protein range.

Almost everyone stalls in weight loss from time to time. I myself have been in a 2 month stall. Nutritionist suggested going back on the pre op diet for a couple of weeks to jump start and no eating between meals for me. But as mentioned by others everyone is somewhat different.

Good luck and you are losing good for now.

Well, she probably knows that many WLS patients sometimes get a little overly anal about their eating afterwards, which is totally understandable. We take this drastic move and want to make sure we are losing optimally. We don't want to waste our time or calories. We made the decision to lose weight, so we want it off as soon as possible.

But ... you can make yourself crazy doing that, too. I think she is right.

Don't worry about it.

Just listen to your body.

Don't drink before during or immediately after eating

Eat lean Protein first

Exercise (and get your heart rate up, don't just go through the motions)

Eat the proper foods and follow the guidelines. That is the true goal of the program. Learning new eating habits and listening to your body, not how to eat 800 calories.

My surgeon also doesn't say to put much emphasis on the number of calories in, but to be more concerned with making sure you are eating the right stuff has already been listed a couple times above. When pushed for a calorie range he said between 800 and 1200 for weight loss for me. When I was first keeping track I was keeping it down around 800 but had a stall, now I keep it around 900 but am not afraid to go over if I feel I need to to get my more important numbers and to feel satisfied. Good Luck.