Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Started 'Couch to 5k today' Anyone keen?

Good morning VST!!!

Slacker in the house!!

Anybody running today??

Just finished! Quiet week here last week. Trying to get things around for a trip to the desert. (Don't know what my niece is thinking getting married in July in AZ!). I know I won't get much training in for the last part of the week. I'll do as much as I can this week and jump back in next week when I get home.

Happy running!

I'm here' date=' just not much to report. I'm doing week 5 day 2 tomorrow night if All goes as planned. This week it jumps from 5/5/5 to 5/8/5/8 I believe it is, to TWENTY! Ergh. I dunno if I can do it. No wait. I can do it!!

I think.[/quote']

You can do it Amy! We all can do this.

After a 5 day break just finished W6D3. I ran the whole 22 min!

Here's what Happens each night I do this thing - about 3-5 minutes into the first run I want to quit. I really have to keep talking myself into keeping on. The second run is similar, maybe a little better. The third run, I wanna keep going and going and sometimes I do! What's that all about!? It's like it takes my head an extra long time to transition to beast mode. Is this common?

How can I get into beast mode quicker?

Here's what Happens each night I do this thing - about 3-5 minutes into the first run I want to quit. I really have to keep talking myself into keeping on. The second run is similar' date=' maybe a little better. The third run, I wanna keep going and going and sometimes I do! What's that all about!? It's like it takes my head an extra long time to transition to beast mode. Is this common?

How can I get into beast mode quicker?[/quote']

You could try a few things:

1. Do a good warmup jog of 5-10 minutes. It is not anything stressful, but is enough to elevate your heart a little and perhaps a little perspiration. After the warmup jog, do a bunch of runner stretches. These will go along way in waking up your legs before you run and preventing injury. Your legs may feel like lead without the proper warmup jog.

2. Look at how often you are running. Maybe you need more rest and your body is trying to communicate this. Did I read correctly you are running 3x a day? That may be too much for you at this time. Since you are running c25k, you should not have an issue with increasing distance too fast.

3. Make sure you properly cool down after a run. Transition into a few minutes of jogging and then walking. Finally, stretch out those calves, quads, hamstrings and IT bands. This is very important for the next time you run. If you have a roller, use the roller on these areas for a few minutes. If you are looking for a good roller, I love the PT roller. It is kind of pricy, but leaves me ready for the next day. It is like a Swedish massage and chiropractic adjustment that you can use and use, without having to pay the reoccurring costs.

4. Make sure you are refueling afterwards with a good meal of carbs and Protein. If you are drinking a shake, see if it has BCAA and creatine support for your muscle recovery. Your muscles need both to restock on glycogen for the next run.

5. Are you drinking enough before running? Trying drinking about 32 oz before your run and see if that makes a difference. You want to be well hydrated before running, especially because it is hard to drink while running or you forget to. That has always been the case for me.

6. Are you eating a good pre workout meal? Try eating something balanced in good carbs, fats and Proteins. For example, I might eat 2 apple slices with almond nut butter and an ounce or two of protein on the side. Eat this at least an hour before running to not have the food slow you down. You want the blood flowing to your muscles and not your stomach.

7. There are other supplements you can take that will unleash your inner beast before a workout, but you may not be ready for them yet. One I like to take is catalyst that is essentially amino acids. Another I take is C4 for really getting the energy and the pump. I am on break from a pre workout drink, but still take the catalyst before a workout. Most people associate these with lifting only, but I find them very beneficial for hard core cardio as well (cross fit, pdx90, insanity, etc).

I hope this helps. These have often served me well.

Fiddle I had a whole long reply l typed up with my weary little thumbs on my phone and lost it all. Gah! I'm sorry, I just can't do it again.

Basically I did some stretches after a brief warmup and it seemed to help! I did today and it was pretty easy actually. Mind over matter, really. I hope my ap is lieing though because it says that I ran slower than I walked. That has never happened before. Eek! Anyway.

Which Protein Drinks have those things in them?

Added the it roller to the wish list. Will my rolling pin work for now?

Glad your run went better today Amy. In theory, I think you might be able to use a rolling pin to roll out your tight muscles. However you may find it very uncomfortable rolling on the hard wood surface. Perhaps if you wrap a towel around it that might work.

A recovery Protein Shake I have been using for 6 months is called Amplified Wheybolic 60 from GNC, but there are many different brands out there for you to choose from. Just ask a clerk in one of the natural stores (GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, Vitamin world, etc) for a good recovery Protein shake powder with BCAA. The clerk will help you find a good one or perhaps someone who is reading this post has a good one to suggest specifically for recovery. Open up any fitness magazine and you will see many different protein shake ads, one claiming to be superior over the other. Honestly, I cannot buy a shake that way. There is too much marketing bling to wade through before doing a proper comparative analysis between the products. I usually find it best to try something that has been recommended by someone I know.

I know stronger, healthier, faster also makes a good recovery shake, but I have not tried it yet. My cross fit box started selling it 2 weeks ago so I may be trying it sometime in the future. They claim it is really good as a recovery shake, but flavors are just chocolate and vanilla so did not appeal to me as much. I am more of a Cookies and cream shake guy.

I am about to try synth-6 this week when it comes now that my amplified Wheybolic 60 tub supply has run out. I will let you know how that one is. I ordered it because it is endorsed by 2012 Cross fit champ and cross fit is one of the activities I need it for.

Today is a rest day since I did Trainer and Water Aerobics yesterday. Going to run tomorrow morning and start over Week 1 Day 1! Those are all great suggestions Fiddle! Especially the water one, because I forget that more often than not.

I reached halfway to goal yesterday and that damn trainer of mine let me Celebrate by giving me burpee's to do and amping up my workout..I could have killed him. Not really I think I am secretly in love with him!

Today is a rest day since I did Trainer and Water Aerobics yesterday. Going to run tomorrow morning and start over Week 1 Day 1! Those are all great suggestions Fiddle! Especially the water one' date=' because I forget that more often than not.

I reached halfway to goal yesterday and that damn trainer of mine let me Celebrate by giving me burpee's to do and amping up my workout..I could have killed him. Not really I think I am secretly in love with him![/quote']

Congratulations!

Today was a circuit training day. My arms feel like rubber bands! Tomorrow is my 25 min run. Really nervous but keep telling myself its only 3 min longer than yesterday.

Everyone have a blessed day!

I got running shoes (in India of all things -- i am here for two weeks on business) so I am all set to get started! I may even get started while I'm here. I was surprised to find so e really comfortable Reeboks for around 40 USD. The same shoes would cost 100+ in Australia, where everything is at least 75% more expensive than the US price. I am sure they are last year's model but I couldn't care less.

Surgery was 4/17/13. I am doing c2 5 k with a friend. We have been doing it about 10 weeks. We've repeated days and weeks to make it through. I am now able to do 25 minutes if straight jogging without a break. Not up to 5 k yet, I'm slow! Lol. But my friend is having trouble getting past 5 minutes straight. Still way better than week one when we couldn't run 30 seconds straight!

As of today...down 61#

I got running shoes (in India of all things -- i am here for two weeks on business) so I am all set to get started! I may even get started while I'm here. I was surprised to find so e really comfortable Reeboks for around 40 USD. The same shoes would cost 100+ in Australia' date=' where everything is at least 75% more expensive than the US price. I am sure they are last year's model but I couldn't care less.[/quote']

Way to keep moving towards your goal! Your one step closer.

I start day 1 of week 2 tomorrow

You can do it!