Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Started 'Couch to 5k today' Anyone keen?

Great post Fiddleman. The only things I'll add (and Fiddleman you know what's coming) is take it outside if at all possible, and read up on minimalist shoe/barefoot running. Most of us don't need motion control stability shoes or orthotics. Orthotics are one of the most overly prescribed contraptions in medicine. Yes there are a small percentage of people who truly need them, but my feeling is those people are not even considering taking up running. Orthotics are prescribed for every ailment from headaches to IBS, but they only mask the symptoms. That's your clue right there. Orthotics (and motion control, heavily padded, arch supported shoes) don't cure anything. If they did you wouldn't need to wear them permanently. They are like wearing a cast on your foot. They immobilize the feet, one of nature's most amazing pieces of bio-engineering. They cause the muscles and tendons in the feet and lower legs to atrophy to the point of uselessness. Removing those shoes will free your feet and allow you to develop the strength and flexibility to propel yourself without the assistance of a crutch, which is what those things are.

Our bodies are amazingly evolved, highly developed organisms. Podiatrists would have you believe that somehow our feet are the exception....that they were born broken and we all must wear these devices to function. Yet to date no shoe company has done any research to prove that their shoe's stability features prevent injuries in any way. In fact, all independent studies show the opposite, that they are either damaging or have no effect. Modern shoes with lifts in the heels and narrow toe boxes and hard inflexible soles are causing countless pains and injuries. And the answer is not to wear devices that further inhibit your bodies ability of forward propulsion. Free your feet and watch the strength and flexibility return and see your knee and back pains diminish.

If you must wear shoes, and we all must from time to time, wear shoes with zero drop, NO arch support, wide toe boxes and thin flexible soles...not cushioned. It will change the way you walk and run for the better.

If I sound like a crazy zealot, I am. But I ran 10 miles 2 days ago in vibrams with no pain whatsoever and I'm walking around with 1 torn ACL and 2 torn meniscus. My knees are as bad as anyone's, but running does not hurt them because my form is good and my lower legs and feet are doing their job.

....end of crazy rant.

I got the app because all of you have posted such great reviews about it I like it and did my 1st day on it and it was kind if fun :) Ty

I got the app because all of you have posted such great reviews about it I like it and did my 1st day on it and it was kind if fun :) Ty

That is wonderful news! Good luck on it and all the best.

I have a question for you all: is anyone else feeling really exhausted after running? Today I did week 6 day 1 and I honestly wanted to lay down and take a nap when I got home. I've noticed I've been feeling like this the last couple of weeks. I don't run very fast (4.5 mph) so I don't think I'm over doing it. I have been increasing my speed a little bit during the jogging portion to keep from getting bored but its not for very long and still not fast. As far as diet goes I'm eating about 800 calories, 80 grams Protein, about 80 oz Water, and less than 45 carbs a day. I'm only 4'11 so I think 800 calories is a lot. Any advice guys?

I have a question for you all: is anyone else feeling really exhausted after running? Today I did week 6 day 1 and I honestly wanted to lay down and take a nap when I got home. I've noticed I've been feeling like this the last couple of weeks. I don't run very fast (4.5 mph) so I don't think I'm over doing it. I have been increasing my speed a little bit during the jogging portion to keep from getting bored but its not for very long and still not fast. As far as diet goes I'm eating about 800 calories' date=' 80 grams Protein, about 80 oz Water, and less than 45 carbs a day. I'm only 4'11 so I think 800 calories is a lot. Any advice guys?[/quote']

Good Question. I would like to ask you if you have you tried drinking 25+ G of protein after? It works for me after my workout I do more then just the app tho so not sure if that will help at all. I wish I could find a way of doing this that doesn't make my knee hurts so much trashed acl :(

I have a question for you all: is anyone else feeling really exhausted after running? Today I did week 6 day 1 and I honestly wanted to lay down and take a nap when I got home. I've noticed I've been feeling like this the last couple of weeks. I don't run very fast (4.5 mph) so I don't think I'm over doing it. I have been increasing my speed a little bit during the jogging portion to keep from getting bored but its not for very long and still not fast. As far as diet goes I'm eating about 800 calories' date=' 80 grams Protein, about 80 oz Water, and less than 45 carbs a day. I'm only 4'11 so I think 800 calories is a lot. Any advice guys?[/quote']

No, quite the opposite.

As the previous poster said, make sure you refuel after with 20-30 g of quality protein. Also you may need to eat more good carbs. I remember reading on VST may moons ago about someone having this sleep issue, way before I even started running post op. Once they upped the carbs, they no longer would crash afterwards and want to sleep.

You might try some energy squares from nuts.com or any other good carb that suits you (whole almonds for example).

Hope you get to the bottom of it!! Let us know.

I have a question for you all: is anyone else feeling really exhausted after running? Today I did week 6 day 1 and I honestly wanted to lay down and take a nap when I got home. I've noticed I've been feeling like this the last couple of weeks. I don't run very fast (4.5 mph) so I don't think I'm over doing it. I have been increasing my speed a little bit during the jogging portion to keep from getting bored but its not for very long and still not fast. As far as diet goes I'm eating about 800 calories, 80 grams Protein, about 80 oz Water, and less than 45 carbs a day. I'm only 4'11 so I think 800 calories is a lot. Any advice guys?

It does sound like a blood sugar crash. What are you eating before and after your workouts? You need to fuel your body for the workout and refuel for recovery afterward. Now you can run on an empty stomach, and if you aare keeping your heart rate below your cardiovascular threshold, you can train your body to burn fat instead of carbs while you run, meaning you don't have to carb up before the run. But you do need some carbs and definitely protein afterwards...especially we sleevers who are on such a calorie restricted diet. You need them and you have a limited window to get them in to aid in your muscles recovery. Most estimates are 30-60 minutes after workout. I frankly don't like to wait that long.

Good Question. I would like to ask you if you have you tried drinking 25+ G of Protein after? It works for me after my workout I do more then just the app tho so not sure if that will help at all. I wish I could find a way of doing this that doesn't make my knee hurts so much trashed acl :(

See my long post several posts above....then go to www.chirunning.com and www.runbare.com

My knees are trashed as well, I have a torn ACL still. But I run with no knee pain. It does work. A change in form and shoes may be all you need.

Wow cool Ty I will give it a good look over :)

Thanks guys! Thinking back on it, the times I wasn't very tired after running were when I had a Protein Shake right after I was finished. I will make sure I have one every time from now on. Are the energy squares from nuts.com paleo friendly?

Thanks guys! Thinking back on it' date=' the times I wasn't very tired after running were when I had a Protein Shake right after I was finished. I will make sure I have one every time from now on. Are the energy squares from nuts.com paleo friendly?[/quote']

Yes, I believe they have peleo friendly ones. Need to check that.

Any recommendations on the energy squares? Any flavors that you don't care for? Favorites?

Any recommendations on the energy squares? Any flavors that you don't care for? Favorites?

Glad you asked! I enjoy the chocolate paradise squares and now usually eat 2 before a run. Need them to fuel my exercise, especially when muscles are involved.

Sometimes I will also have one right when I get up to fuel my hop out of bed exercise routine (mile run, light weights). Gives me a good excuse to catch up on some news in the early hours and also get me going for the day.

I recently ordered their variety pack so I can try out some different flavors for diversification.

W1D3 had to overcome one of my biggest fears. The first 2 days I ran it was just my daughters and I, no one else around (Spring Break). Today all the ball fields were full with teams practicing and there were several people walking the track. I actually had to walk/run around them! What?? It felt like they were staring at me as I jiggled by (I'm 6 weeks PO). But I did it! A month ago would have gotten right back in my car and gone home. Reading everyone's posts have given me the encouragement to do this! Thank you everyone!

W1D3 had to overcome one of my biggest fears. The first 2 days I ran it was just my daughters and I' date=' no one else around (Spring Break). Today all the ball fields were full with teams practicing and there were several people walking the track. I actually had to walk/run around them! What?? It felt like they were staring at me as I jiggled by (I'm 6 weeks PO). But I did it! A month ago would have gotten right back in my car and gone home. Reading everyone's posts have given me the encouragement to do this! Thank you everyone![/quote']

Way to go! You are a winner for facing your fear and overcoming it.