Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Started 'Couch to 5k today' Anyone keen?

W1D3 had to overcome one of my biggest fears. The first 2 days I ran it was just my daughters and I' date=' no one else around (Spring Break). Today all the ball fields were full with teams practicing and there were several people walking the track. I actually had to walk/run around them! What?? It felt like they were staring at me as I jiggled by (I'm 6 weeks PO). But I did it! A month ago would have gotten right back in my car and gone home. Reading everyone's posts have given me the encouragement to do this! Thank you everyone![/quote']

Great job. I think we all have that same fear, not wanting the other runners to notice us. Getting past it makes you a winner in my eyes. Great job.

I'll share something else. I'm no champion runner, but I can run a few miles easy enough. When I see someone who looks like a beginner, struggling to run far or fast....I look at them with admiration. I remember when that was me and I remember how hard those early weeks were. There was no runner's high back then, only pain and labored breathing. So when I see someone else doing the same I know they are working much harder than I am at the moment, and still they persevere. I always try to give them a wave to encourage them. They will be the veteran runners soon enough. So will all of you on this thread. My hat's off to all of you.

Help! For some reason I ca not get pass week 6 say 2. It's a mile jog (or 10 min) the walk three min...then repeat the mile jog. I don't know why's body feels like its giving out on me during the second 10 min jog. I've been on week six day 2 for over 2 weeks. The irony is that part of week 5 routine was a 20 min jog and I was able to complete it after a couple tries. I tried taking an energy gel , but that didn't work. I usually go the gym right after work(4 pm) . The last meal I've eaten would be lunch (11:30 am) . Should I eat/drink something before the jog?? If so what? And how far ahead?

Thank you BTB your words are very kind and encouraging. Any advise you can give?

Help! For some reason I ca not get pass week 6 say 2. It's a mile jog (or 10 min) the walk three min...then repeat the mile jog. I don't know why's body feels like its giving out on me during the second 10 min jog. I've been on week six day 2 for over 2 weeks. The irony is that part of week 5 routine was a 20 min jog and I was able to complete it after a couple tries. I tried taking an energy gel ' date=' but that didn't work. I usually go the gym right after work(4 pm) . The last meal I've eaten would be lunch (11:30 am) . Should I eat/drink something before the jog?? If so what? And how far ahead?[/quote']

From the time you eat lunch till you run are you taking in any Protein or healthy fats? I personally like a Protein Shake about an hour before I run or some almonds. Either one helps me. I do not do well with the gels (me and sugar are forever enemies). Also, are you properly hydrated. Lack of hydration will definitely slow you down. I try to drink at least 24 oz of Water (usually 32oz) right before I run. It takes a while to drink that much, so I start drinking a good 30 minutes before the run starts. That way I'm plenty hydrated.

W4D1 again. Still dealing with fatigue after hospital stay but my runs are getting better and I'm making more of them. Not giving up just persevering.

Chia seeds also really help with keeping you hydrated during run. I like to eat them every morning after drinking 32 ounces of Water. Seems to really help with preserving energy during a run.

Also...everyone should keep in mind that some days will just not be YOUR day. In running you're going to have good days and bad days. The good days feel like you could run forever. The bad days feel like you have concrete blocks on your feet. That's just the way it goes. I've talked to some very experienced runners who still experience this and none of them can really explain why it happens sometimes. I've had days where I was exhausted from work, but then had a great run. Other days where I was fully rested, hydrated and fueled...and everything should have been perfect, and still felt like crap. It's the nature of the beast. But as I go on, the bad days get fewer and fewer....that's progress.

I discovered I really need the extra push I get from following a program so I put myself back on week 5 and have upped my speed (treadmill) to 5mph. I'd been doing 4.5-4.7 before.

I have a crazy few weeks coming up - events every weekend with a 4-day Disneyland trip with my 4yr old in early May... but I NEED to find time to exercise because I get so down when I slack off!

I discovered I really need the extra push I get from following a program so I put myself back on week 5 and have upped my speed (treadmill) to 5mph. I'd been doing 4.5-4.7 before.

I have a crazy few weeks coming up - events every weekend with a 4-day Disneyland trip with my 4yr old in early May... but I NEED to find time to exercise because I get so down when I slack off!

Have you looked at the C210K program? I decided to download that one and I'm gonna go for it. I'm only on week 7 day 1 of the 5k so I still have a lot of work to do.

Also...everyone should keep in mind that some days will just not be YOUR day. In running you're going to have good days and bad days. The good days feel like you could run forever. The bad days feel like you have concrete blocks on your feet. That's just the way it goes. I've talked to some very experienced runners who still experience this and none of them can really explain why it happens sometimes. I've had days where I was exhausted from work' date=' but then had a great run. Other days where I was fully rested, hydrated and fueled...and everything should have been perfect, and still felt like crap. It's the nature of the beast. But as I go on, the bad days get fewer and fewer....that's progress.[/quote']

So true! Today I got to the gym alot later than usual and did not feel up to the run...but I FINALLY completed week 6 day 2. It took a couple weeks but tonight I felt like "I could run forever" I was soooooooo happy :-)

Missed exercising as we were traveling most of the day. Will have to make up for it tomorrow. Did extra Water aerobics on my rest days so I think I'm ok.

Also...everyone should keep in mind that some days will just not be YOUR day. In running you're going to have good days and bad days. The good days feel like you could run forever. The bad days feel like you have concrete blocks on your feet. That's just the way it goes. I've talked to some very experienced runners who still experience this and none of them can really explain why it happens sometimes. I've had days where I was exhausted from work, but then had a great run. Other days where I was fully rested, hydrated and fueled...and everything should have been perfect, and still felt like crap. It's the nature of the beast. But as I go on, the bad days get fewer and fewer....that's progress.

I agree BTB.

The other thing I have to watch is over training. I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

At times I think 'I've eaten well, plenty of sleep (etc etc), I should be on fire'

Then I realise I'm over due a rest day. I take a day and then I'm jumping back out of the box!!

Have you looked at the C210K program? I decided to download that one and I'm gonna go for it. I'm only on week 7 day 1 of the 5k so I still have a lot of work to do.

I know there are heaps of gadgets out there for running, fitbit etc.

With CrossFit fees, shoes etc I watch the budget on this stuff a bit. I like the idea of keeping running cheap - it can be free after all!

I down loaded the 'endomondo' app to use post C25K and I'm really happy with it.

I know there are heaps of gadgets out there for running' date=' fitbit etc.

With CrossFit fees, shoes etc I watch the budget on this stuff a bit. I like the idea of keeping running cheap - it can be free after all!

I down loaded the 'endomondo' app to use post C25K and I'm really happy with it.[/quote']

Tell me about the expense! I thought that running could be free too. I spend so much money on running apparel, hydration belt, running arm band, race registrations (those are killer when u increase distance), shoes, etc. BUT- its SO worth it. I'm finally at a point where I think I'm done with being nickeled and dimed by running expenses. I occasionally think about giving tris a go, but oh geez then I would need a tri bike and fancy helmet and a tri suit. ;) lol!

Can I just say its refreshing spending my money on physical activities that keep my mind and body healthy?! It's well worth the expense if I can swing it. :)

But yeah- utilize every free opportunity. :)

Need to get some running shoes....Suggestions as I wear orthopedics and have titanium joints in my big toes, and arthritis in my feet. Had knee replacement 2 years ago. Training for a 5 K in May.