Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Started 'Couch to 5k today' Anyone keen?

I signed up for local races in June' date=' July, Aug and Sept. Basically one a month starting in June. Giving myself a little over 1 month from today to get used to training outside. These are all local 10k races with the exception of October run which is across the state and a 1/2. I think a summer of racing 10 k will train me for 1/2. I can always do the Galloway method of run/walk if I find myself bonking too much when training for 1/2. What do you think ?[/quote']

You're an animal and you'll have no trouble doing the 10Ks. Find yourself a good half marathon training plan and follow it for that race though. You'll want to build up your mileage in a progressive and structured manner. I like Hal Higdons but there are many good ones. The only thing I didn't like about Higdons was the longest run on the novice plan was only 10 miles. I wished I had run at least 11 or 12.

As far as Galloway's method, I don't want to speak too soon but I'm really liking it thus far. I think for long distances it could be the way for me. You should experiment with it if you like. Pick a long distance that you've done before and run/walk it. See if your time improves and if you feel better at the finish. I'm going to do a 10K by myself on Tuesday and see if I can run/walk myself to a PR.

Oh jeez....between you and Danyelleb, I hope I don't corrupt you all and turn you into a bunch of run/walkers. LOL. I think for me it's viable because I really want to do longer distances but my knees are so beat up from my past life I'm always going to have to look for ways to reduce injuries. I will say this, the beauty of it is the run/walk ratio can be anything you want it to be. I've read where some really top notch ultra runners do a 9 minute run/1 minute walk all the time.

You're an animal and you'll have no trouble doing the 10Ks. Find yourself a good half marathon training plan and follow it for that race though. You'll want to build up your mileage in a progressive and structured manner. I like Hal Higdons but there are many good ones. The only thing I didn't like about Higdons was the longest run on the novice plan was only 10 miles. I wished I had run at least 11 or 12.

As far as Galloway's method' date=' I don't want to speak too soon but I'm really liking it thus far. I think for long distances it could be the way for me. You should experiment with it if you like. Pick a long distance that you've done before and run/walk it. See if your time improves and if you feel better at the finish. I'm going to do a 10K by myself on Tuesday and see if I can run/walk myself to a PR.

Oh jeez....between you and Danyelleb, I hope I don't corrupt you all and turn you into a bunch of run/walkers. LOL. I think for me it's viable because I really want to do longer distances but my knees are so beat up from my past life I'm always going to have to look for ways to reduce injuries. I will say this, the beauty of it is the run/walk ratio can be anything you want it to be. I've read where some really top notch ultra runners do a 9 minute run/1 minute walk all the time.[/quote']

My average time for a 10 k is 52 minutes and my best time is 38 minutes when I am training hard. Been training on 10 k race times 1x a week for 4 months now. Milage was pretty easy to hit early on so have been really focused on improving race time by practicing HIIT during the week. There is nothing like inclined running and sprints to improve race times.

Distance build up for 1/2 is new and exciting. I only started sneaking in > 10 k runs on Saturday and have gotten up to about 9 miles. Not focused on timing yet, but do need to pace more then 10 k. I can turn on a 10 k pretty easily as long as I warm up properly.

Thanks for the suggestion on training material for 1/2. I am sure it will become very useful soon.

Happy running everyone!

Installed the app and just got back from the first session. Anyone else interested?

Deano

I am ready to start a couch to 5k. There are so many apps. What is the picture on the app you like? I am 5'7 age 54 and have lost 70. I still weigh 230 so not sure how my body will handle this? I want to enter a Spartan sprint race the end of September. I may need to duct tape o

My flabby, loose skin:)

Any advice or help welcome.

I am ready to start a couch to 5k. There are so many apps. What is the picture on the app you like? I am 5'7 age 54 and have lost 70. I still weigh 230 so not sure how my body will handle this? I want to enter a Spartan sprint race the end of September. I may need to duct tape o

My flabby' date=' loose skin:)

[/quote']

Compression clothing helps with that. Good luck with the spartan race. I started when I was 300 lbs still. Just go easy at first and don't hurt yourself. Don't hesitate to repeat a day or a week on the program if you need too.

I'm calling you out Fiddleman. When is your 10K race? There's no question you could do it tomorrow so what's holding you back? You're going to love it. No training run can match that high of finishing the real deal with hundreds or thousands of people hanging out cheering for you.

Thanks again for your encouragement to sign up for some races. I am sure once I complete one, I will be addicted to races.

Great! How do you feel running at 5 mph? Do you feel like this is a good pace for you to sustain 5 k or do you feel you could do a little faster? Question is really about how your legs and respiratory are doing at that pace. Do you feel like you are in control of your run?

Running at 5mph on the treadmill is going well, thanks! I do need the little quick breaks I get along the way (working the c25k earlier weeks) but so far so good. I try to the first half at 1% incline and will usually back off to 0.5% incline for the second half. I feel like I really need to get a HRM because I probably am working harder than is best.

I ran outside Sunday morning. It was glorious weather in sunny CA and I had a great run. I used mapmyrun and the distance was 3.2 miles. I did a little walk warm-up and then ran a mile, walked a little and ran around a half mile walked a little more and then ran almost to the end. I think I ran at least 2 miles of it. I'm not real savvy with the mapmyrun app so I'm not sure if it can give me info about just the running portions.

Sunday afternoon I attended a b-day party with my son. The party was at an indoor trampoline facility and it was SO FUN. My muscles were a little achy from my morning and after bouncing for 40 minutes or so I knew I'd feel it today. At least I worked off the b-day cake before I ate it, right? ;)

Running at 5mph on the treadmill is going well' date=' thanks! I do need the little quick breaks I get along the way (working the c25k earlier weeks) but so far so good. I try to the first half at 1% incline and will usually back off to 0.5% incline for the second half. I feel like I really need to get a HRM because I probably am working harder than is best.

I ran outside Sunday morning. It was glorious weather in sunny CA and I had a great run. I used mapmyrun and the distance was 3.2 miles. I did a little walk warm-up and then ran a mile, walked a little and ran around a half mile walked a little more and then ran almost to the end. I think I ran at least 2 miles of it. I'm not real savvy with the mapmyrun app so I'm not sure if it can give me info about just the running portions.

Sunday afternoon I attended a b-day party with my son. The party was at an indoor trampoline facility and it was SO FUN. My muscles were a little achy from my morning and after bouncing for 40 minutes or so I knew I'd feel it today. At least I worked off the b-day cake before I ate it, right? ;)[/quote']

Sounds like an excellent weekend!

I have heard trampolines are a great workout in addition to being a lot of fun. I am sure you worked your cake off.

With that said, I do believe a person will be just fine with one meal a week where they eat whatever they want. In small portions of course. I have not done this myself, but have heard carb loading is just the shock your system needs to take it out of starve mode.

The cheat meal should not be longer then 2 hours long and only one time a week. This will up your BMR and may give you a consistent loss of 2-5 lbs a week with exercise and healthy eating.

My flabby, loose skin:)

Good for you! The app I used is the free app from Zen Labs and it has a breast cancer pin (pink ribbon) on it.

I second Bean on the compression clothes. I wear two bras to run and bought some compression pants on sale at Target. They are really nice for keeping my thighs, belly & tush contained. I wear them when I run outside on pavement. When I run on the treadmill where there is a little less impact, I wear other fitness clothes, but the compression pants are a must for me outside.

Question about compression clothes. If I buy a sport shirt for athletes one size too small, would that count as a compression shirt?

Question about compression clothes. If I buy a sport shirt for athletes one size too small' date=' would that count as a compression shirt?[/quote']

If you would pay money to see Beyonce working out in it....it counts as compression clothing.

As far as Galloway's method' date=' I don't want to speak too soon but I'm really liking it thus far. I think for long distances it could be the way for me. You should experiment with it if you like. Pick a long distance that you've done before and run/walk it. See if your time improves and if you feel better at the finish. I'm going to do a 10K by myself on Tuesday and see if I can run/walk myself to a PR.

Oh jeez....between you and Danyelleb, I hope I don't corrupt you all and turn you into a bunch of run/walkers. LOL. I think for me it's viable because I really want to do longer distances but my knees are so beat up from my past life I'm always going to have to look for ways to reduce injuries. I will say this, the beauty of it is the run/walk ratio can be anything you want it to be. I've read where some really top notch ultra runners do a 9 minute run/1 minute walk all the time.[/quote']

On corruption of fellow sleevers, there is definitely herd mentality as a post op. :) I think it is OK because we are all trying to forge our paths on the successes of others, choosing a little here and a little there. If someone were to look at how many ideas I have borrowed from others for my plan, they would definitely see I am the biggest offender and call it the Frankenstein plan. Lol. Not everything I try works. I throw a lot at the wall and keep what sticks. With this approach I end up with a plan that works really well for me. It does take courage to try new things and not be afraid to suck at something. Keep what works for you and toss the cruft. Do not stay focused on cruft as it is a distraction to achieving goals.

It does take courage to try new things and not be afraid to suck at something.

You just touched on what I sorta hinted about in your other post. If I'm totally honest with myself, I haven't tried crossfit yet because I'm afraid I'll suck at it. I really need to get over that.

You just touched on what I sorta hinted about in your other post. If I'm totally honest with myself, I haven't tried crossfit yet because I'm afraid I'll suck at it. I really need to get over that.

Mate Crossfit is a lot like this thread and starting running.

Virtually everyone sucks at running when they first start, but like Crossfit it doesn't take long to start kicking some goals and making advances.

EVERYONE at Crossfit is supportive and encouraging. These are just words until you see this community in action. Everyone at a Crossfit work out completes a version of the same work out. Lots of people have scaled versions, but everyone has scaled at some point.

If there was one person who I thought would love Crossfit and would engage with it on this forum it would be you. Go and give it one week. I dare you!!

You just touched on what I sorta hinted about in your other post. If I'm totally honest with myself' date=' I haven't tried crossfit yet because I'm afraid I'll suck at it. I really need to get over that.

[/quote']

There's no way you can suck at it! You do what you can, how you can and you progress from there. I'm the least athletic in my group so far but they are extremely supportive and cheering me on when they get the chance because mostly everyone is just trying to finish the WOD and beat their own times. It's never quantity but quality. It's really addictive fun!!

Told I can't run because of knee replacement. My husband and I walked while others ran. Walked 2.2 miles. Longest distance! I know now I can do the 5k walk and finish it!!!