Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Started 'Couch to 5k today' Anyone keen?

I ran w1d3 tonight and I feel amazing. I just never ever thought I'd be doing this. I've WANTED TO for five years but I'm actually DOIN IT now. Me! At 181 lbs at 5'4" and I actually think my form was pretty darned good this time. (Thank you vibram five fingers)

Boy am I happy when that thing finally dings though. Lol.

Has anyone got breathing all figured out? I'm gettin better but goodness. I don't actually catch my breath until my walk interval is almost up.

As for breathing, I think it should be natural and coordinated with your cadence. If you are having trouble breathing while running, it is probably best to slow down. Speed will come with time. You do not want to run at any oxygen deficiency (holding your breath). As like lifting, your leg muscles need a steady flow of oxygen to function correctly. When you are starting out, remember to breath in every couple of strides and breath out every couple of strides. You really will have to think about it as first, but it becomes really natural over time. Eventually, it will just happen without you having to think about breathing in and breathing out. The same applies to all the other little mechanics that take place while running: relaxing muscles, focusing on good posture, landing solid in the middle of your foot, absorbing shock effectively (minimize impact with each step), small rotations around your spine, etc. If you really master the technique behind mindful running, it will eventually just feel like walking and you can really do a 5k, 10 k , 1/2 without stressing out your body. Won't that be a joy? :)

As for breathing' date=' I think it should be natural and coordinated with your cadence. If you are having trouble breathing while running, it is probably best to slow down. Speed will come with time. You do not want to run at any oxygen deficiency (holding your breath). As like lifting, your leg muscles need a steady flow of oxygen to function correctly. When you are starting out, remember to breath in every couple of strides and breath out every couple of strides. You really will have to think about it as first, but it becomes really natural over time. Eventually, it will just happen without you having to think about breathing in and breathing out. The same applies to all the other little mechanics that take place while running: relaxing muscles, focusing on good posture, landing solid in the middle of your foot, absorbing shock effectively (minimize impact with each step), small rotations around your spine, etc. If you really master the technique behind mindful running, it will eventually just feel like walking and you can really do a 5k, 10 k , 1/2 without stressing out your body. Won't that be a joy? :)[/quote']

It would be amazing!!

There really is a lot to learn in running! You'd think we'd take it up naturally like we did when we were children ( children supposedly have great form) but no. I'm constantly checking myself. "Look foreword, relax shoulders, mid foot mid foot mid foot" etc. haha. It's getting a little bit easier each time.

I have a little bit of lower back stiffness/pain which I read about this morning. Apparently I'm leaning foreword which is tilting my pelvis foreword and putting strain on my lower back. I'm supposed to imagine my pelvis is a bowl full of marbles and I don't want to spill any. Oook. Ill try. Oh that article also said to pretend I'm holding a potato chip in each hand and I don't want to crush them. Marbles and chips on week 2 day 1. Haha

Could you please explain "small rotations around your spine?"

Yesterday, I fast walked (w/stroller) the Green Lake 3 miles and some Lil old lady ran past me.. I'm thinking I'm going to have step up my pace

It would be amazing!!

There really is a lot to learn in running! You'd think we'd take it up naturally like we did when we were children ( children supposedly have great form) but no. I'm constantly checking myself. "Look foreword' date=' relax shoulders, mid foot mid foot mid foot" etc. haha. It's getting a little bit easier each time.

I have a little bit of lower back stiffness/pain which I read about this morning. Apparently I'm leaning foreword which is tilting my pelvis foreword and putting strain on my lower back. I'm supposed to imagine my pelvis is a bowl full of marbles and I don't want to spill any. Oook. Ill try. Oh that article also said to pretend I'm holding a potato chip in each hand and I don't want to crush them. Marbles and chips on week 2 day 1. Haha

Could you please explain "small rotations around your spine?"[/quote']

Holding potato chips and not spilling marbles, I like that. :)

When running, movements in the back should be minimal and you can think of your spine as being a fulcrum point where there is small rotation as each arm comes forward. It is an interesting study of equilibrium and conservation of motion. As said above, it becomes like "riding a bike" with enough practice.

I just completed day 2 of C25K and it was much easier than the first day. I think I will enjoy this!

I just completed day 2 of C25K and it was much easier than the first day. I think I will enjoy this!

You're right behind me! Fun huh?

Fiddle tell me to get of the couch and hit the treadmill!!!

Time to get moving Laura!! Before you know it, the hour will be over. One strategy the helps me be consistent about it every day is to put it on my calendar and only miss if I am physically sick. Otherwise, I am at my appointment every day. It is worth it and will be a habit soon for you. Takes about 3 weeks to form a new habit. Do it even when you don't feel like it. By the time you are warmed up, you will have little reason to not do it and it will be enjoyable. So go do it!!

Time to get moving Laura!! Before you know it' date=' the hour will be over. One strategy the helps me be consistent about it every day is to put it on my calendar and only miss if I am physically sick. Otherwise, I am at my appointment every day. It is worth it and will be a habit soon for you. Takes about 3 weeks to form a new habit. Do it even when you don't feel like it. By the time you are warmed up, you will have little reason to not do it and it will be enjoyable. So go do it!![/quote']

Thanks fiddle :) you know I like being nudged by you. You just saved me from getting caught up in unnecessary ridiculousness here :P

Sighing off now to exercise :)

Week 7 Day 2 done. Foot is really wonky, but the hell with it. I got another one. July 18th, running with my girls, chasing them actually, at the National Whitewater Center. Should be good for a laugh or 10.

Week 7 Day 2 done. Foot is really wonky' date=' but the hell with it. I got another one. July 18th, running with my girls, chasing them actually, at the National Whitewater Center. Should be good for a laugh or 10.[/quote']

Show off :P

Time to get moving Laura!! Before you know it' date=' the hour will be over. One strategy the helps me be consistent about it every day is to put it on my calendar and only miss if I am physically sick. Otherwise, I am at my appointment every day. It is worth it and will be a habit soon for you. Takes about 3 weeks to form a new habit. Do it even when you don't feel like it. By the time you are warmed up, you will have little reason to not do it and it will be enjoyable. So go do it!![/quote']

OMG!

Oh my flipping gawd...

I just officially did the week 1 day 1 :P

I barely made it :(

They lied! You can't go from the couch to this!!

And I don't want to hear all of you telling me it was easy!

I'm soft and squishy a true couch potato, I'm a human version of a baby calf getting ready for the veal factory! :P

OMG!

Oh my flipping gawd...

I just officially did the week 1 day 1 :P

I barely made it :(

They lied! You can't go from the couch to this!!

And I don't want to hear all of you telling me it was easy!

I'm soft and squishy a true couch potato, I'm a human version of a baby calf getting ready for the veal factory! :P

You did it, that's all that matters.....You know you loved it, you know you did. :P

Now, do it again......

You did it' date=' that's all that matters.....You know you loved it, you know you did. :P

Now, do it again......[/quote']

And again and again and again...:)

I've had to use quick stop too!! Walking outside later today as it is beautiful out!!