Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Realization - Eating Habits

So now that I had surgery 17 days ago and cannot physically feel hunger its really forced me to take a second look at where my other ques to eat are coming from, because believe me, I still think about eating.

I know that this is a leftover remnant of bad habits I picked up in nursing school but I realized today that I have a tendency to want to graze/binge/stuff myself when I am sleep deprived, which is often because I have issues with sleep. I used to be in class all day, come home and study for an ungodly amount of hours, fall asleep over my books, wake up and repeat for two years. I used to eat copious amounts of sugar and consume insane amounts of caffeine to stay alert because I was on the road a lot and I had a lot of things that demanded my attention.

So now I have this weird instinct to want to eat when I am tired instead of wanting to go lay down and get some rest. I am going to have to work on getting my signals uncrossed. Does anyone else deal with this? I know that its common to think you are hungry when you are actually thirsty as well but I don't deal with that as much as the whole sleep issue.

I'm facing the same issue. I had surgery 3 weeks ago and am struggling to get my calories up to at least 800 calories. I went to the grocery store Monday to get ginger tea to help with nausea and I wanted to load up on every one of my former binge foods. I had to get out of there quick! I wasn't even hungry.

I was discussing that with my dietician and she said even though I don't feel hunger, my body is telling me it needs more food. So although part of that grocery store experience was habit, it was my body telling me to please eat more food!!

I'm facing the same issue. I had surgery 3 weeks ago and am struggling to get my calories up to at least 800 calories. I went to the grocery store Monday to get ginger tea to help with nausea and I wanted to load up on every one of my former binge foods. I had to get out of there quick! I wasn't even hungry.

I was discussing that with my dietician and she said even though I don't feel hunger, my body is telling me it needs more food. So although part of that grocery store experience was habit, it was my body telling me to please eat more food!!

That could be it too however personally I THINK I am eating enough. I am averaging about 600 calories a day but I've been making them count for the most part with good Protein and stuff. It's also not helping that I am looking for work right now so I am at home TOO MUCH.

I have the same issues Grace. I started working shift work 8 years ago and promptly gained 125 lbs during that time. On night shift I'd eat all night. Eating keeps you awake, and it's natural to develop that habit of eating high glycemic foods when you're sleep deprived. It's still a battle for me now. I want to eat, even though I'm not hungry. A systems check at that point usually tells me I'm tired. It explains why so many people get cravings at night. The best thing to do, as you said, is get more sleep. If you can't, at least stop to ask yourself if you really need food or is this just your body's way of trying to wake up.

Cuddos to you for recognizing one aspect of head hunger when it's staring you in the face. Some people never realize it.

Thanks. It kind of sucks, and I am looking for work right now so I am at home WAY TOO MUCH which is leading to a certain amount of boredom too. Hopefully I'll get some calls soon. I log what I eat now so it kind of stops me from eating, and I don't have a lot of snackable type of foods either so that helps. I pulled out my workout clothes that I had outgrown prior to surgery and most of them fit now so yesterday I ended up just going for a nice long walk but I did freeze my ass off.

I read a article about this recently, especially for health care workers working long hours and night shifts. There was a propensity to chose high fat high carb foods. I also noticed it in my husband when he first started working in the ER his shifts were night shifts, he really started to crave baked goods, muffins and such it was weird because he unlike me he is very fit and athletic..

So I agree. I think it's awesome that you can take a step back and look at this from an outside viewpoint. I feel when we can objectively look at these things we can fix them!

I read a article about this recently especially for health care workers working long hours and night shifts. There was a propensity to chose high fat high carb foods. I also noticed it in my husband when he first started working in the ER his shifts were night shifts, he really started to crave baked goods, muffins and such it was weird because he unlike me he is very fit and athletic..

So I agree. I think it's awesome that you can take a step back and look at this from an outside viewpoint. I feel when we can objectively look at these things we can fix them!

I think part of it is because it feels really strange to get up in the evening and eat a Breakfast meal and carry on with normal meals throughout the night as one would if it were day time. I don't know why. It's like.... I invert my sleep just fine (usually), but inverting my meals feels weird. I still eat like I would had I been up all day and then decided to stay up all night even though I am on a different schedule and HAVE NOT BEEN UP ALL DAY.

Like butter said, you are recognizing it!! Which is half the battle. you are so early out now is the perfect time to make the changes, with the help of your sleeve!

NG, can you get on a day shift as a workplace accommodation? I know you are looking and that isn't necessarily the best time to ask, but just wondering if that was a possibility in your field. Congrats on already fitting into your workout clothes, and for stepping back and recognizing whats going on. I enjoy your posts, thanks for the inspiration. :)