Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Texas girls and vanity

Did anybody else get this surgery, simply because they are 'shallow'??!!! :D Surely I am not the only one who wanted to LOVE shopping, who wanted to buy cute clothes and look good in them!! Is it a sin, is it taboo to do this to look better? I don't see that it is any different than bigger breasts, a face life or botox. I am in Texas, Texas women...SOUTHERN women are vain, I am certain I'm not alone!!

I had NO health problems, zero, which is why the insurance route was not an option. I cannot admit to the majority of people that this was all about vanity, but to tell the truth, it was. I fought to maintain 228 lbs. I had been on a constant diet, picking, choosing and feeling guilty, for 32 years! I could look at my dad's sisters and many cousins who are all older than I am.....who are morbidly obese, some way more than 300 lbs, and I feared as I aged, it would get worse. That could be me!!! Thanks but no thanks. I chose what I refer to as 'preventive maintenence'. Surgery is a breeze when there are no health problems, at least it was easy for me. I have absolutely NO buyer's remorse. I love shopping, clothes and I feel great. My knees would have been the first to go, and they feel much better. I was 50 when I had sleeve surgery in June 2010, I only wish it had been an option twenty years ago!!

C'mon, am I alone????

I looked at it like an investement. I would pay that much for a car so.... and even though there were a lot of factors involved "vanity" is one of them. I think of it more like for my mental health though. I was fighting a cycle of depression, emotional eating and guilt that I couldn't seem to excape from. Now I am a really free and it was worth every penny.

I don't see it as being vain but the words preventitive maintenance hits the nail on the head. I have no comorbidities but have a bmi of 40 so hoping insurance will cover. If not I would consider self pay but it would be a great challenge. I too have family that is morbidly obese and at the weight i am now would be considered that as well. But I carry my weight diffferent so everyone says to me "you don;t look that big". Well that big is big enough. And I have heart disease in my family which I would love to avoid.

And yes being able to shop at any store in a normal size is very exciting to me. As I have never been able to do that in my life. So if its considered vain then oh well. Call me vain! :blink:

Did anybody else get this surgery, simply because they are 'shallow'??!!! :D Surely I am not the only one who wanted to LOVE shopping, who wanted to buy cute clothes and look good in them!! Is it a sin, is it taboo to do this to look better? I don't see that it is any different than bigger breasts, a face life or botox. I am in Texas, Texas women...SOUTHERN women are vain, I am certain I'm not alone!!

I had NO health problems, zero, which is why the insurance route was not an option. I cannot admit to the majority of people that this was all about vanity, but to tell the truth, it was. I fought to maintain 228 lbs. I had been on a constant diet, picking, choosing and feeling guilty, for 32 years! I could look at my dad's sisters and many cousins who are all older than I am.....who are morbidly obese, some way more than 300 lbs, and I feared as I aged, it would get worse. That could be me!!! Thanks but no thanks. I chose what I refer to as 'preventive maintenence'. Surgery is a breeze when there are no health problems, at least it was easy for me. I have absolutely NO buyer's remorse. I love shopping, clothes and I feel great. My knees would have been the first to go, and they feel much better. I was 50 when I had sleeve surgery in June 2010, I only wish it had been an option twenty years ago!!

C'mon, am I alone????

I feel like you are in my brain! A southern girl myself (Louisiana) - I'm a self proclaimed shop-a-holic and come from a family of women who love their spoils! Even my 81 year old grandmother dresses better than all of us in her rhinestones and trendy wardrobe! I'm a self pay, have no health problems and am 31 yrs old. I want to be able to buy a pair of skinny jeans and slide my leg into some cute riding boots next fall! I can't find a boot now to wrap around my wide calves to save my life! LOL It's been about 5 years since I've worn a size 8 and a hard depressing ride with every pound I've gained. I can't wait to feel good again!

This surgery is completely a preventative for me and honestly the better I look, the better I feel. I know that for a fact! I have zero regrets and my surgery date is next Tuesday Jan 29th - it can't get here fast enough!

I see shopping being fun now as a perk for sure. I didn't have any co-morbitities before surgery, yet anyhow, I was just morbidly obese. If you have a history of obesity and family history of it surgery can prevent future health issues. It is an investment in your future. As long as you have a clear understanding of the risks of surgery and feel the risk is worth it. Some people think woman who get their breasts removed because they have the gene and family history of breast cancer are crazy, but as someone with a family history of it, i completely understand.

I looked at it like an investement. I would pay that much for a car so.... and even though there were a lot of factors involved "vanity" is one of them. I think of it more like for my mental health though. I was fighting a cycle of depression' date=' emotional eating and guilt that I couldn't seem to excape from. Now I am a really free and it was worth every penny.[/quote']

Oh I appreciate your input tody! This is my life, and I can't wait to be where you are! 4 more weeks!

I know that vanity does play a part in my decision. It is not the sole reason. I do want to feel better. Being overweight is very hard on my body. My feet hurt all the time. It's a lot of work to carry all this weight around. And while I don't have diabetes or high blood pressure or anything else, I know that I will. Not only does it run in the family, but my weight getting out of hand is only a precursor to my health getting out of hand. Not to mention my most important reason...my daughter. She is built like her Father's side of the family and several of them are morbidly obese. She is young enough now that I still have a chance at setting a good example and teaching her healthy habits. But yes, I do want to feel pretty again. And be able to wear all the cute clothes that I used to be able to wear. LOL

Nope. Good ol' Southern gal here...weight has always kept me from shopping "off the rack" and therefore hindered my desire to shop. Looking forward to doing some shopping as the lb's shed right off!!! I had medical issues due to weight and of course family history risks too, but mostly i wanted to look good and FEEL good aobut MYSELF.

Vanity or not, i'm in it! B)

Good luck, you'll do great!!! Enjoy every step of this journey to your new life!!!! (We love Louisiana!!!!)

I feel like you are in my brain! A southern girl myself (Louisiana) - I'm a self proclaimed shop-a-holic and come from a family of women who love their spoils! Even my 81 year old grandmother dresses better than all of us in her rhinestones and trendy wardrobe! I'm a self pay, have no health problems and am 31 yrs old. I want to be able to buy a pair of skinny jeans and slide my leg into some cute riding boots next fall! I can't find a boot now to wrap around my wide calves to save my life! LOL It's been about 5 years since I've worn a size 8 and a hard depressing ride with every pound I've gained. I can't wait to feel good again!

This surgery is completely a preventative for me and honestly the better I look, the better I feel. I know that for a fact! I have zero regrets and my surgery date is next Tuesday Jan 29th - it can't get here fast enough!

You're going to love this surgery!!!! I still hold up my jeans and think 'NO WAY' but sure 'nuff, I can slip into them!!! :)

Oh I appreciate your input tody! This is my life, and I can't wait to be where you are! 4 more weeks!

It takes quite a while to by pass the women's dept., but eventually you'll just glance as you walk by and remember. Shopping is so fun, some times I just go and try on clothes, not to buy, just to have fun!!! I walked by a store at one of the malls here in Dallas, just last week. I've never bought anything at this particular store, but I thought to myself.....I could go in there and find clothes if I wanted to. It's an amazing feeling!!!

Nope. Good ol' Southern gal here...weight has always kept me from shopping "off the rack" and therefore hindered my desire to shop. Looking forward to doing some shopping as the lb's shed right off!!! I had medical issues due to weight and of course family history risks too, but mostly i wanted to look good and FEEL good aobut MYSELF.

Vanity or not, i'm in it! B)

I became increasingly obsessed with the fact that I was overweight as I got older.Was always either on a diet or eating like there was no tomorrow followed by more diets.It overshadowed everything else in my life!This became my life!

In 2005 I had the band,became desperately ill for a year (lost 100 pounds because I was sick) completely unfilled,exercised like a maniac for 6months and regained it all.

And to be honest,my obsession was with looking normal.Like most people.TO BE SKINNY!Yes I had comorbids but I never dieted to have lower blood pressure.It was to not feel so darn ugly all the time!

Shopping is great now!And I do look normal.My kids tell me all the time that I am the cool mom now,that they still dont recognize me when I walk into a room.That I look so young (ok,they're my kids,they love me...lol)

But yes,I did it to look better.And I do.Wish I wasnt too scared to fly to dr Himpins in 2005 to do the sleeve.I was still young then,waisted a lot of years trying to get thin so I could start living again!

I got surgery because I woke up every day of the last 2 decades thinking I was living in somebody else's body. I was thin growing up and into my early 20's. I hated that I didn't feel like me. Of course that is partly vanity but also just got so tired of daily life being effected by my inability to move and do things I wanted to do. I had no comorbidities either but certainly didn't want to develop them. I rarely buy clothes because they never fit right or make me look attractive so what's the use. I already feel so much better with a 50lb weight loss and can't wait to feel like the real me again.

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I was obsessed with being overweight....always on a diet or thinking 'forget it, it is pointless' and I'd eat and eat!!! A vicious cycle. I still am obsessive with food and weight, but NOW I have it under control. I do not mindlessly eat, I am aware of every single thing that goes into my mouth!!

I am a little confused, you got banded, have you had that revised with a sleeve?

Congratulations, I see you're FOUR lbs from goal. Wow....isn't it a great feeling??!!!!!!

I became increasingly obsessed with the fact that I was overweight as I got older.Was always either on a diet or eating like there was no tomorrow followed by more diets.It overshadowed everything else in my life!This became my life!

In 2005 I had the band,became desperately ill for a year (lost 100 pounds because I was sick) completely unfilled,exercised like a maniac for 6months and regained it all.

And to be honest,my obsession was with looking normal.Like most people.TO BE SKINNY!Yes I had comorbids but I never dieted to have lower blood pressure.It was to not feel so darn ugly all the time!

Shopping is great now!And I do look normal.My kids tell me all the time that I am the cool mom now,that they still dont recognize me when I walk into a room.That I look so young (ok,they're my kids,they love me...lol)

But yes,I did it to look better.And I do.Wish I wasnt too scared to fly to dr Himpins in 2005 to do the sleeve.I was still young then,waisted a lot of years trying to get thin so I could start living again!

i can't WAIT to be able to saunter passed the PLUS SIZE women and women's section and even to step foot NEAR a mall again! I've waited far too long to start this journey back into skinny ANYTHING! I still have my much loved size 11 skinny jeans from former weight loss...looking forward to trying them again. I've loved the fashion styles and just couldn't ever find the style for me or to fit me...spent alot of my 20's in "old lady" clothes b/c of my weight and height. I'm on the wagon now and loving the ride!

It takes quite a while to by pass the women's dept., but eventually you'll just glance as you walk by and remember. Shopping is so fun, some times I just go and try on clothes, not to buy, just to have fun!!! I walked by a store at one of the malls here in Dallas, just last week. I've never bought anything at this particular store, but I thought to myself.....I could go in there and find clothes if I wanted to. It's an amazing feeling!!!