Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Protein is the best way to lose!

Losing is hard and we all have ups and downs!! My doctors has requested that I get at least 50 grams of Protein from supplements (protein shakes), take Vitamins, get at least 64 ounces of Water a day, and start working out!

When I went through the program, I read that Protein supplements are the best way to lose...drinking two is best and that even after you have hit goal you should try to get at least one a day to maintain!!

Now I know that this seems crazy but I have found that when I get my Protein drinks in - I lose more! What does everyone think of this?? Fact or fiction?

It is an absolute fact. Protein gives your body's metabolism the chance to burn fat--most healthy people have enough protein in their diets.

I routinely get in 70+ grams a day and have found no correlation between how many grams I get and how much weight I lose. What I eat doesn't vary much - shake for Breakfast, dairy snack, meat for lunch, veggie snack, meat for dinner is my standard day. I consume, on average, between 600-700 calories most days, with rare "high" calorie (800-900) days. Regardless of the variation in my diet I lose about 4-5 pounds a week, which is in line with the caloric deficit I maintain.

I feel like I spend a lot of time eating, and so rarely feel the need to take in more after I get my "required eating" in, which usually takes up most of my day.

It is an absolute fact. Protein gives your body's metabolism the chance to burn fat--most healthy people have enough Protein in their diets.

Do you feel like even after you hit goal that you will continue your protein supplement? What do you use for protein?

I routinely get in 70+ grams a day and have found no correlation between how many grams I get and how much weight I lose. What I eat doesn't vary much - shake for breakfast' date=' dairy snack, meat for lunch, veggie snack, meat for dinner is my standard day. I consume, on average, between 600-700 calories most days, with rare "high" calorie (800-900) days. Regardless of the variation in my diet I lose about 4-5 pounds a week, which is in line with the caloric deficit I maintain.

I feel like I spend a lot of time eating, and so rarely feel the need to take in more after I get my "required eating" in, which usually takes up most of my day.[/quote']

I agree! Eating/drinking the required amount of "stuff" takes up a lot of the day! 4 to 5 pounds a week is what I am losing too. Are you saying that regardless of calorie intake you still lose... So do you think is bc of the amount of Protein you get?! What do you use for Protein?

Losing is hard and we all have ups and downs!! My doctors has requested that I get at least 50 grams of Protein from supplements (protein shakes)' date=' take Vitamins, get at least 64 ounces of Water a day, and start working out!

When I went through the program, I read that Protein supplements are the best way to lose...drinking two is best and that even after you have hit goal you should try to get at least one a day to maintain!!

Now I know that this seems crazy but I have found that when I get my protein drinks in - I lose more! What does everyone think of this?? Fact or fiction?

[/quote']

I 100% believe in this philosophy.

First off protein satiates hunger, therefore you will likely eat less

Secondly, protein both held to build & maintain muscle mass. A person with more muscle will naturally have a higher BMR than one with less muscle. (a major reason why men seem to lose easier than women)

Finally, a quality protein supplement, not a Meal Replacement, will pump you full of protein with relatively few calories. For example, both powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury & nectar deliver about 20g of protein in only 100 calories.

I 100% believe in this philosophy.

First off Protein satiates hunger' date=' therefore you will likely eat less

Secondly, Protein both held to build & maintain muscle mass. A person with more muscle will naturally have a higher BMR than one with less muscle. (a major reason why men seem to lose easier than women)

Finally, a quality protein supplement, not a Meal Replacement, will pump you full of protein with relatively few calories. For example, both unjury & nectar deliver about 20g of protein in only 100 calories.[/quote']

I think you're right too! And I guess I should clarify that a protein supplement is not a meal replacement. Doctors want you to get protein in addition to food - so eating meals is a requirement in most cases. Thanks for your feedback! Do you think that you will continue to get Proteins supplement even after you hit goal?

Do you think that you will continue to get Proteins supplement even after you hit goal?

Definitely

I drink 2 Isopure Protein Shakes a day and have less cravings when I do that. I've realized a while ago that I will probably drink at least 1 Protein Shake for the rest of my life :) I mix my Protein shakes with milk so that I can get in my Calcium also. I do continue to eat protein throughout the day. Yesterday I got around 150g of protein, which is kind of high but I also workout, lift weights, and breastfeed.

Fact: Protein builds your muscles and your muscles will burn calories at rest.

Might I recommend a high quality Protein blend called "Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60" by GNC. It is a bit costly, but well worth it with regards to positive and noticeable Results. The package claims 30% exercise and recovery improvement over other shakes. The next protein shake I recommend is Syntrax Matrix Extended Release. It will keep you satisfied longer because the protein is processed in 4-5 hours instead of 1-2 hours like other Protein Shakes (syntrax nectar for example). Both come in. Product Line of different flavors, but I always tend to like to Cookies and creme flavor. You may prefer chocolate, strawberry, vanilla or a number of fruit flavors. There are even coffee flavors for those that really like the taste of coffee ( I do, but not enough to get. Flavored Cappuccino shake). Try and get in as much protein as possible during the day. I hit high numbers by having up to 3 shakes a day with my normal foods. I do believe that high protein has contributed in part to my success.

I started getting all my Protein with food only at about 2.5 months. I was told before surgery that naturally, through food, is the best way to get protein. It was work but I hated the shakes and wanted to stop that nasty stuff asap!!!