Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

RE-USE of the FILL NEEDLE

Did you explain to the other offices what was going on? I would call back and ask for an office manager and explain what is going on. ~Mandy

Now that I think about it , unless you plan on going back there, I wouldnt have any contact w/them anymore until you get into contact with someone . Either the Heatlh Dept, Medical Board or attorney ?

Mindy

Now that I think about it , unless you plan on going back there, I wouldnt have any contact w/them anymore until you get into contact with someone . Either the Heatlh Dept, Medical Board or attorney ?

Mindy

I was talking about explaining the situation to a new doctor. ~Mandy

Just playing devil's advocate here.....

In the Uk if you are insulin dependent Diabetic, you are expected to use the needle on your 'pen' a good few times before disposing of it.... It is well documented that it doesn't cause infections and is accepted practice. However if you're in Hospital and are given your insulin by the nursing staff, they, of course, use a new needle every time.

The cost in the UK for 200 Huber needles is £100 (about $185) so you know at less than a dollar a time.... WHY????

D I am new to this site but I am a nurse and not new to that. Do not ever reuse a needle and don't let anyone else use one on you. I would question any medical proffesional that would practice unsafe technics like that. The risk for infection so high it doesn't even make sense for a doctor to do something like that. Throw the needle away.

Anon, you are????

Dude this reuse of needle stuff has got to end!!!!

I was told one needle one stick. period, end of story. even for the pen.

Insist on a fresh needle. I had to have fills done at different locations, I paid .26 cents for the needle and $3.00 for the bottle of Saline which should do all my fills. 26 CENTS......after what you paid for the surgery, INSIST on a fresh needle.

Carol

I too am from the KC area, and am a nurse. You have to remember that KU is a 'Teaching facility'. Having worked at another nearby teaching hospital in town, I have witnessed many many questionable things-due mainly to two things: 1) They are always looking to cut costs because they do not typically draw the "paying customers" if you know what I mean, AND....2) A lot of the care they provide are from residents (Yes they are technically doctors, but not allowed to practice on their own yet). This creates a lot of unethical practice, questionable methods, and sometimes downright dangerous things are 'allowed' to occur unsupervised/unbenownced to their superiors.

My suggestion would be that you AT LEAST call the operator at KU and simply ask to speak to the 'infection control department'. They are the ones that are going to WANT to know about this, believe me. Then, you need to make a report with the patient advocate office. They are the ones that investigate/look into patient complaints throughout the facility.

I would totally recommend you to Dr. Hoehn in KC, as he is absolutely wonderful. But I think I have heard that he like so many others, doesn't perform fills on patients who have had their bands placed elsewhere.

Good Luck to you, and please DO NOT let this go. Not only for the safety of yourself, but for the safety of another one of the patients out there who may not know any better and ends up with a huge infection, or even worse.

drcollier,

Thanks for the updates! I'm glad you've spoken with Inamed. I'm sure they will force him to stop doing lap-band surgeries. I agree that you should file a law suit! If more of his patients would like to join you, you could file a class action suit and really put him out of business. If I were you, I would discuss your problem of not being able to find another doc with Inamed as well. They may be able to help you out by finding you a new doc. They probably have a lot more pull than you do on your own.

Sorry to post again on this thread so soon, but I had to address Anon's post. The UK and Canada both have government controlled healthcare systems, so things are allowed that are not allowed here in the USA! However, just because it's allowed, doesn't make it proper or good technique! Please INSIST on a clean needle for fills or insulin injections NO MATTER WHAT COUNTRY YOU LIVE IN! You are still a human being and deserve proper healthcare practices. THANK GOD FOR THE GOOD OLE USA!!!!!

I am an RN also, and reusing a needle is unacceptable. Needles today are not meant to be used more than once, PERIOD!! I think I would find a new doctor and report this one. For crying out loud, a needle costs squat. This doctor is a jerk. Lose him!!!!

bigbuck

I haven't read all the responses, but working in the medical field I don't know how they could get away with that. Needles get dull after they are used, when we give medications to people we change the needle after the drug is drawn to lessen the pain to the patient. I don't think reuse even on your own needle is a good idea.

I am so sorry I missed this thread,, this practice is absolutly disgusting, and I can not believe it is still going on in this day and age. I thought that even junkies gave this practice up!!! These Doctors make big bucks, I find it hard to believe that that Doctors practice is in such jeopordy that they need to cut corners that tight!! That seems to be such an unsafe practice, have you heard of other people from the same Doc, with the same complaint???

I'm sorry I missed this thread, too.

And, I agree with the majority. This is an unacceptable practice. It goes against everything we've been taught about universal precautions (assume everything's contaminated) and in this case, you know it's been used and has a risk of providing further contamination. He's putting your very health and possibly your life in jeopardy.

Please pursue this and somehow force this doctor to cease this practice. You've already indicated that other patients have questioned this, so you know he's doing it to others. Whether you pursue legal action is your decision, but bottom line it needs to stop.

"Needlegate"-I love it.

My suggestion would be that you AT LEAST call the operator at KU and simply ask to speak to the 'infection control department'. They are the ones that are going to WANT to know about this, believe me. Then, you need to make a report with the patient advocate office. They are the ones that investigate/look into patient complaints throughout the facility.

Good Luck to you, and please DO NOT let this go. Not only for the safety of yourself, but for the safety of another one of the patients out there who may not know any better and ends up with a huge infection, or even worse.

Thanks Robyn. I want you to know that I reported this to the hospital's infection control recently and will update as to how it is taken care of. Since I asked for a clean needle, I have not been able to get an appointment with my surgeon (I'm not sure I want another one at this point). I'll keep the board posted.