Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May I ask why gummies are a no no?

I'm pre-op but I am compiling my list of post-op needs.

Hi my kaiser permanente md and nut also said no no to gummies. Something about the content being less absorbed for sleevers. But best thing is to check with your md and nutritionist.

I have been told by 3 different doctors (I am diabetic and have severe Arthritis, fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue) 2 before starting my journey to WLS and my surgeon that the gummies are a no no because they lack some of the very important vitamin's, they don't put them in because they taste bad and the gummies would taste nasty. I talked to my surgeon and he also carries WLS specific Vitamins and told him of my concern about the cost and he said to get the info off the label and if I could find a cheaper version with the same nutritional values he would be perfectly ok with that. I have found a very knowledgeable lady who works at my local Vitamin World who I gave the nutritional info to and she is helping me find the best possible matches to what the Dr office carries. Good luck in your search Hope some of the info given will help you :}

I go to costco and I purchase vitafusion multivites (the Gummy kind) they sell them at target as well but at costco you can get a very large container for about the same money, maybe two dollars more and I also purchase the kirkland sugar free Calcium chews with added D and K. The all together these items are about 20 dollars and should last about two months. For me, costco is worth it because purchasing these at Target or Walmart actually ends up being more expensive. Kirkland is brand spefic to costco but you can get vitafusion at target for sure.

The vitafusion does have three grams of sugar per two chews but for me this is within what I am willing to accept to have a Vitamin that I can get down easily every single day. I have purchased more specialized bariatric Vitamins in the past and they have been a chore to take, and I always end up slacking on that till next thing I know its been two months and I haven't taken my Vitamins. I look forward to these - they taste good.

Also as far as gummies go, some say they are not good enough, some say they are fine. I don't know. My surgeon basically seemed to be of the opinion that they are fine, but if lab work comes back funny we can deal with it differently. I appreciated not being sold a product though.

May I ask why gummies are a no no?

I'm pre-op but I am compiling my list of post-op needs.

I was told they don't have as much of the daily dose that you need.

I go to costco and I purchase vitafusion multivites (the Gummy kind) they sell them at target as well but at costco you can get a very large container for about the same money, maybe two dollars more and I also purchase the kirkland sugar free calcium chews with added D and K. The all together these items are about 20 dollars and should last about two months. For me, costco is worth it because purchasing these at Target or Walmart actually ends up being more expensive. Kirkland is brand spefic to costco but you can get vitafusion at target for sure.

The vitafusion does have three grams of sugar per two chews but for me this is within what I am willing to accept to have a Vitamin that I can get down easily every single day. I have purchased more specialized bariatric Vitamins in the past and they have been a chore to take, and I always end up slacking on that till next thing I know its been two months and I haven't taken my Vitamins. I look forward to these - they taste good.

Also as far as gummies go, some say they are not good enough, some say they are fine. I don't know. My surgeon basically seemed to be of the opinion that they are fine, but if lab work comes back funny we can deal with it differently. I appreciated not being sold a product though.

Thanks for the info about vitafusion at costco, I'm going to check them out. For me the flinstone gummies multiple and Naturemade Vitamin C gummies for adults are working out great. My labs came back with everything in normal range, except vit D. So I take a chewy chocolate vit D now. ( I'm over 50 so menopause is a factor )

I have to wonder if some docs and nuts are recommending against gummies because if you swallow it whole it may get stuck? I take small ( tiny) bites of each gummie and chew it until its completely broken down. Then swallow. Its the only way I can get vitamins in without upsetting my stomach, been that way my whole life. Regular vitamins are just too hard on my stomach.

I am super cautious about everything that goes in my mouth, and have never had anything get stuck. No vomiting at all since surgery. ( I HATE to throw up! )

I guess its like everything else with the sleeve procedure, every doctor has his/her own opinion about pre-op diet and post op diet, as well as vitamins. I would follow your doctors guidance and if the vitamins are especially hard on you - ask about gummies. What can it hurt? It might help you.

My nutritionist said because the gummies don't absorb as well as a chewable Vitamin since it chews into a powder rather than little Gummy pieces. Also they don't have some of the key Vitamins we need. So they aren't recommended.

But I suppose they are better than nothing if you can't tolerate ANYTHING else.

My nutritionist said because the gummies don't absorb as well as a chewable Vitamin since it chews into a powder rather than little Gummy pieces. Also they don't have some of the key Vitamins we need. So they aren't recommended.

But I suppose they are better than nothing if you can't tolerate ANYTHING else.

They Gummies i take are the Calcium Citrate not the multi Vitamin. My multi vitamin is a chewable with all the Vitamins needed and it tastes really good.. These were 100% recommended by my surgeon and nutritionist and after 6 months my labs were perfect so these are working for me.

CVS has an adult chewable multi Vitamin (cvs brand) and they have them bogo free pretty often. They taste like the kids Flintstones I love them!

YES! I forgot there is also a chewable that is not a Gummy if you prefer that called optisource that you can get at walgreens. I think its orange flavored. I haven't tried it first hand but it is marketed at a bariatric Vitamin so I'm sure its also fine.

I have been choking them down with Jello. Should be good enough! At least they are getting in my system right?

Maybe a dumb question, but why can't we take pills whole?