Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5'5" Women....what is your goal weight or size?

I'm 5'3 and 320 pounds. Do you guys know how much weight I can lose with VSG and will I stop at some point losing weight? I would like to get to 165 -170 but it says VSG will only help me lose 100 pounds. I'm curious to know if I lose a hundred will the other 35-45 pounds come off with exercise or doesn't it just stop atom automatically at 100pds?

There are many people on VST and MFP (My Fitness Pal) that lose well over 100 lbs. I would say you will lose what you put into it. Your first 6 months will be your biggest weight loss. You can increase your loss during this time by following all of the rules, including watching what you eat and working out. After the first 6 months it slows for most people. When I say slows its still a higher loss than someone without VST could probably attain, but its just not crazy weight loss like 5-10 lbs in one week that can happen occasionally. You want to take full advantage the first full year and follow your nutritionists guidelines as best you can and you will learn great habits into the 2nd year when you just have to work a little harder to lose.

I'm 10 months out and my weight loss has slowed considerably since month 7, but I'm also very close to goal so its to be expected. How I wouldn't love one more big week though...

On a final note...If you go in with the expectation that this isn't a magic pill and you put in a lot of effort to take full advantage of the benefits this surgery can offer, you can achieve anything. Good luck, you can do it!

I hope this was helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I agree ebonisekim that is really true. Thats a good way of thinking :)

Check a BMI chart' date=' too.

One suggested estimate is 100 lbs for 5' tall, add 5 lbs for every inch over 5'.

That would be 120 lbs for 5'4" and 125 lbs for 5'5".[/quote']

If that is true i would be 130 but i put my goal as 180. Maybe i am way off but i just cannot imagine myself not fat yet :( i am losing in my butt even though i do not have one!! Its nice but im afraid to buy new pants yet but i need to for work now

I'm 5'5 and my goal weight is 135-140. Currently at 179 so still about 40lbs to go!

I am 5'5 and my current weight is 199lbs! I started at 247lbs before surgery.I lost 29 lbs before surgery.I had my surgery on December 13th and a hernia repair.I would like to get to 150 or 145lbs.I am 32 and have a medium build' date='curvy,but pretty muscular so I feel this is an ideal weight for myself.Really being healthy and feeling better is the most important goal. :D[/quote']

How do you tell what your build/ frame is?

I'm 5'6" and have been within 5 lb.s of my goal weight (135) since March 2012.

I agree that goal weight is going to vary on the "look" you want to achieve ( I prefer long and lean)' date=' your heaviest weight, and how long you were at that weight. People who were heavier longer may have more extra skin and their weight bearing bones may be thicker.

Your age is a factor as well. When I was young, before I gained weight, I weighed 118-125. Anything over 125 and I had love handles and a muffin top over my jeans. Now if I weighed that little I don't think it would look good and I'm not sure I could maintain that weight either.

Little Miss Diva is not on the board as much anymore, but I recommend searching for her and checking her pics. I think she is 5'5" rocks around 160-170 and she looks fabulous.

Lynda[/quote']

She looks damn good and at that weight she was wearing or weAring a two or four I'm not sure but somewhere around that number

A single digit size for me. So that I can Victoria Secret clothing and be able to participate any sports I d like Being healthy is center of it all.

A single digit size for me. So that I can Victoria Secret clothing and be able to participate any sports I d like Being healthy is center of it all.

I look at Victoria Secrets online and dream of the day I can wear that stuff! I used to when I first met my husband almost 15 years ago but now I'm in what I call my old granny gear!

Surgery weight is 262 and was wearing a size 24 and currently I am at 189 wearinf size 16/18 depending on brand and my personal goal is to get down to about 140 and would love to be in single digit clothing. My dr wants me at 125 but I feel I would look sickly.

I keep hitting (and decreasing) my goal weight at close to 6 months out. First it was 145, then 140 now 135...but I honestly think 125 is going to be my 'magic number' at 5' 4". In clothes I look pretty good and wear a 4-6 across the board.

Yesterday I went to the thrift store again to size down my work place wardrobe and bought 5 suits a couple pair of dress pants and some shirts and Camis. One pair of pants was a 6, and everything else was a small or 4-5. That sounds great, but a 5 isn't what it used to be, so keep vanity sizing In mind as you lose. Back in the day I think my 5s would have been at least a 8 probably a 10 or 12. Vanity sizing really is that out of control.

I just had an AHA moment...maybe.

Please don't tar me and set me on fire.

When the research that is shown in doctor's offices and that we read online that the expected results or success rate of vsg is approximately a 60% of excess weight, they are going by a BMI chart. I have wondered about that other 40%. What happened to that? Why isn't it 90%? or 100%? What prevents it from being even more successful?

One reason might be some weight regain as the body stabalizes and new habits are learned. It does not sound unrealistic that there would be an adjustment period and that, yeah, maybe you can't be perfect with your diet forever and you may bounce up a bit after hitting your ideal healthy weight.

BUT another reason for the statistical percentage may be due to the goal weights that set in the first place. If the percentage measure of success is being standardized using a BMI chart, then that is not reflected in these posts. Almost nobody here is going by what the BMI chart says. The goal weights most posters here are sharing places them in the mid or high end of overweight.

I'm not saying that is bad or good and I'm not judging your choice. I have been wondering about statistics and this is one thing that can explain them. I've also been going by a BMI chart for my own idea weight. Its ok if you don't and I'm not saying you should.

If you set your goal weight 20-30 lbs more than what the BMI chart indicates is ideal for you, you reach your goal and maintain it, then you are 100% successful!!! Not 60%.

How do you tell what your build/ frame is?

I googled this and found a site that tells you to measure your wrist over the bones (where there usually has little fat even when you are heavier). There was a chart that you matched up with along with your height and gender that told me my frame size. I actually found it on a medical site, but can't remember it. However, I just found an article and video about this on another site and its the same info:

http://www.bestwaytoloseweight4u.com/what-weight-should-i-be-for-my-height/

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I'm 5' 4" and my original goal was 150 but I am 168 now and still feel huge-I'm not sure if I'm suffering from the 'head thing' like my mind hasn't caught up with the body kind of thing. I must admit though, I'm one of those girls who wants to be really skinny.

I googled this and found a site that tells you to measure your wrist over the bones (where there usually has little fat even when you are heavier). There was a chart that you matched up with along with your height and gender that told me my frame size. I actually found it on a medical site' date=' but can't remember it. However, I just found an article and video about this on another site and its the same info:

http://www.bestwaytoloseweight4u.com/what-weight-should-i-be-for-my-height/

Sent from my iPhone using VST[/quote']

It seems reasonable, but my wrists gain weight with the rest of my body. In fact, my watch has been getting looser since I've been losing weight. So the closer you are to your goal weight the more accurate it is?

I'm 5'3 and 320 pounds. Do you guys know how much weight I can lose with VSG and will I stop at some point losing weight? I would like to get to 165 -170 but it says VSG will only help me lose 100 pounds. I'm curious to know if I lose a hundred will the other 35-45 pounds come off with exercise or doesn't it just stop atom automatically at 100pds?

You can definitely lose more weight, there is nothing stopping you from losing by having the surgery but it will be "harder" so it may take different strategies to get past that 70% of extra weight (as I have heard 70% is what usually can be expected)