Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A little discouraged

I think I might have had unrealistic expectations. My boss had bypass surgery last year and I remember seeing her a month out and she looked like a different person already. I think I pictured the same happening for me. I'm trying not to be discouraged and not forget that we started from very different places. I was 223 at my biggest, 214 before pre op diet, 206 on day of surgery. Today I am 185. Surgery was 12/3 so today is exactly 5 weeks post op. She was over 300. My doc tells me that people who start at a lower weight with a lower BMI ( mine was 38.4 at my biggest) will have a different journey, but when I come on here I see others who started from a similar place who have already lost way more than me. Anyone else feeling a little discouraged? Overall, I'm sooo glad I did it. Just need to find my patience with the marathon and stop expecting a sprint. :)

Aw Ashley, don't worry about it. I too get discouraged, but your doctor is absolutely right, everyone's body is different. As long as you're seeing minus, don't worry about it. Your body will lose exactly the way it's supposed to - for YOU. Comparisons to other people are nice, but don't gauge what you lose by that. Just do what you're supposed to do and be happy.

I think everyone loses differently so there is that. I started high weight/bmi and I think when you are that big it just shows faster. One day soon you'll be like who is that in the mirror. After 2 weeks I noticed my face changing and now I feel like I can't see anything even though my numbers are still going down. Every pound counts towards the ultimate goal! ;)

I can understand the frustration. My bmi was just under 40 when I had my band done. When I was revised to a sleeve 7 months ago, my bml was 36. In my 7 months, I have lost 45 pounds. I know my pace is slow but I know that it is permanent and not such a shock on my system. To keep motivated I come to the forums. I also take my picture and measurements so when I need that little extra kick, I look at them and see how far I have really come. Just remember that those who started heavier will get to our point too. Keep the faith. You and we are worth it.

Don't get discouraged. A guy at work that did sleeve before me looks great and always asks me about my progress, and then acts like its not so great. This discourages me sometimes, but I have to remember that we all lose differently and men tend to lose quicker, jerks lol There is one doctor that keeps telling me that I've really lost a lot of weight and soon a will disappear. Everyone needs a guy like this around to boost you up :)

Just this morning I was telling my husband that I don't feel any different, body image wise. I guess I need to take some photos and really see myself. You should too, and like someone else said, take your body measurements.

Hang in there and keep coming to the website for inspiration and support :)

Feel the same. I was sleeved 12/10 . On Dos I was 300 exactly. The scale has not moved since 12/23. I'm following everything to a T, and still nothing. I try to look at the big picture bc overall with my own plan prior to surgery, liquid preop and surgery I'm down 50lbs. But I still though the initial loss would be quicker.

Positive thoughts!