Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Be careful using IUD only post VSG!

Ladies -

I'm seeing that a huge percentage of our pregnant ladies are ones that were using the IUD as their primary form of birth control. But what I haven't seen is someone taking the time to say, "Hey, this is a possible issue and be aware of it BEFORE surgery."

The IUD can shift and/or fall out with a drastic change in weight. I wish more surgeons were discussing this possibility with their patients, because I'm getting the feeling that they aren't always doing so and that many women are unaware that this can happen.

Please be sure to address your choice of the IUD with your doctor so that you can decide if it's the right choice for you while you're in the initial loss phase.

I've seen a large number of surprise pregnancies lately and almost every one of them was an IUD user. We all love babies, but it's nice to be more in control of the process and not be surprised with a pregnancy while eating a drastically reduced diet and learning your sleeve. And the early months are emotional enough without complicating matters.

So, just my official suggestion that even if your surgeon or PCP does not bring this up (and particularly if you're self-pay and won't be seeing a regular team of doctors) that you bring it up yourself if you're currently using this type of birth control and not trying to get pregnant.

~Cheri

That's great info and very helpful. Thanks.

Yeah, there's definitely something up with mine. I've been totally fine for 3 years but it has definitely at least shifted because it is randomly painful. I'm going to get in with my doc to possibly have it removed.

OMG, never even gave that a thought....thanks! I have had one since my son was born 8 1/2 years ago.

-Kendra

It's probably best to be careful regardless, but as best as I can tell, these pregnancies happened with the copper IUD (no hormones) not the Mirena (uses hormones). Does anyone know if any post-VSG pregnancies have happened with Mirena?

Crap! I just got the paragaurd!

I was told by my OBGYN that pregnancy with Mirena is VERY VERY RARE...even with extreme weight loss... He just suggested when I lose 50lbs or more come in to check on it just in the rare case that it moved, however he assured me I should not have anything to worry about bc your cervix (where mirena is placed) doesnt change.

I can't speak to shifting with Mirena being solely due to weight loss, but mine did fall out. I can say (from experience) that the hormones in Mirena can cause issues with loss post VSG. There are a few old threads about this if you do a search.

I had to have mine removed. I used it solely to control endometriosis because surprise pregnancies aren't in the cards for us. Mine fell out while I was in the loss phase. I had it placed again a few weeks later. The only time I lost weight during that time frame was when the Mirena was out of my body! Now, many people use it and love it. In fact, I loved mine - nothing has ever worked better at controlling the endo. But it was definitely causing problems after my WLS, so keep that in mind IF you notice something isn't quite the same or working as well.

That said, I think that applies to all hormonal birth control. You'll find even more threads about this. Some women have no issues and some of us have real reactions to things that worked well previously. Just be aware of it and be prepared to address it if it comes up.

In any case, my post isn't to scare anyone or worry anyone needlessly. The fact is, it's better to directly ask your doctor about potential issues than to risk an unwanted or unplanned pregnancy that will cause you stress and unhappiness.

~Cheri

Ladies -

I'm seeing that a huge percentage of our pregnant ladies are ones that were using the IUD as their primary form of birth control. But what I haven't seen is someone taking the time to say, "Hey, this is a possible issue and be aware of it BEFORE surgery."

The IUD can shift and/or fall out with a drastic change in weight. I wish more surgeons were discussing this possibility with their patients, because I'm getting the feeling that they aren't always doing so and that many women are unaware that this can happen.

Please be sure to address your choice of the IUD with your doctor so that you can decide if it's the right choice for you while you're in the initial loss phase.

I've seen a large number of surprise pregnancies lately and almost every one of them was an IUD user. We all love babies, but it's nice to be more in control of the process and not be surprised with a pregnancy while eating a drastically reduced diet and learning your sleeve. And the early months are emotional enough without complicating matters.

So, just my official suggestion that even if your surgeon or PCP does not bring this up (and particularly if you're self-pay and won't be seeing a regular team of doctors) that you bring it up yourself if you're currently using this type of birth control and not trying to get pregnant.

~Cheri

Ladies -

~Cheri

Wow!! You know, I thought of this right after I had my surgery... but never shared it with anyone because I thought it was a lame idea... I have a copper IUD inserted since 2007, and the fatter I became over the years, I developed problems of overflowing, late periods with real bad cramps... my obgyn told me it's because my IUD is surrounded by a lot of fat cells, and I should lose weight in order for that problem to go away.... SO I was thinking that after the surgery and losing a lot of weight, these fat cells are gonna disappear and the IUD could fall loose!!! I definitely don't want another baby, especially now... And actually, since I've become more fit, I'm having more sex!!! I think I should get an ultra sound, just check on it... THANKS :)

I can't speak to shifting with Mirena being solely due to weight loss' date=' but mine did fall out. I can say (from experience) that the hormones in Mirena can cause issues with loss post VSG. There are a few old threads about this if you do a search.

I had to have mine removed. I used it solely to control endometriosis because surprise pregnancies aren't in the cards for us. Mine fell out while I was in the loss phase. I had it placed again a few weeks later. The only time I lost weight during that time frame was when the Mirena was out of my body! Now, many people use it and love it. In fact, I loved mine - nothing has ever worked better at controlling the endo. But it was definitely causing problems after my WLS, so keep that in mind IF you notice something isn't quite the same or working as well.

That said, I think that applies to all hormonal birth control. You'll find even more threads about this. Some women have no issues and some of us have real reactions to things that worked well previously. Just be aware of it and be prepared to address it if it comes up.

In any case, my post isn't to scare anyone or worry anyone needlessly. The fact is, it's better to directly ask your doctor about potential issues than to risk an unwanted or unplanned pregnancy that will cause you stress and unhappiness.

~Cheri[/quote']

Hmm...now I'm wondering if my mirena is contributing to my slow loss. I was sleeved 11/14...had mirena inserted on 12/1 and since insertion I've lost about 10 lbs and now I'm in my second stall. I specifically asked my ob/gyn if it would cause weight gain or be counter productive to the VSG...she said "absolutely not!" and reassured me it should cause no fluctuation in weight

Hmm...now I'm wondering if my mirena is contributing to my slow loss. I was sleeved 11/14...had mirena inserted on 12/1 and since insertion I've lost about 10 lbs and now I'm in my second stall. I specifically asked my ob/gyn if it would cause weight gain or be counter productive to the VSG...she said "absolutely not!" and reassured me it should cause no fluctuation in weight

I think that normally, as in, compared to other forms of hormonal birth control, the Mirena has a very low incidence of weight gain. But the way our hormones are completely out of whack for a while after surgery has got to play a part in the issues a lot of women have with hormonal birth control post op. I've read that our fat cells store hormones and as they burn off this could play a part. I have no idea.

I can say that I was a slow loser the entire time I was trying to lose, but after a very brief period where I was initially happy with my Mirena, I had a very tough time losing.

I'd hate for you to remove the IUD if it's working for you, only to discover that you lose no faster. That said, I'd hate to see you have the same struggle with very sluggish loss like I did. It's all a coin toss, unfortunately, with no real guarantees.

Good luck whatever you decide. Here's the post I made in May 2011 after I had mine removed:

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/17214-is-your-birth-control-the-culprit/page__hl__%2Bbirth+%2Bcontrol+%2Bculprit

~Cheri

Omg...thanks for the info..I'm not trying to get prego..this is me time ..I have to take care of me. I'm so surprised being that I'm only 42 pounds lighter and hornier than ever...

Ladies -

I'm seeing that a huge percentage of our pregnant ladies are ones that were using the IUD as their primary form of birth control. But what I haven't seen is someone taking the time to say' date=' "Hey, this is a possible issue and be aware of it BEFORE surgery."

~Cheri[/quote']

Wow this is such an important post. I had no idea that the IUD could slip or fall out. I was thinking of getting a IUD post surgery because I am a young woman who does not want kids anytime soon. I will definitely question my surgeon about this. Thanks for ur insight:)