Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating out! How do you sleevers do it?

I eat out all of the time. Especially when I'm out of town for work or on the road. After all of the zillion diet programs I've been on, I know the nutritional information and can estimate calories. I also pre-load my mind with information by reading nutritional information from restaurant websites to see what their better choices are. If I do decide to indulge a little bit and order something that is not quite as heathy, I eat very little and balance it out with steamed veggies or am aware of what I eat at other meals of the day. I don't consider it a lifestyle of denial and diet food. It is all about balance and awareness.

You adapt. I'm about 8 weeks out and eaten out about 4 or 5 times and I've had very good experiences. Stick with things that contain Protein and take left overs home. Or get an appetizer that is healthy or Protein packed. Also don't be afraid to ask for substitutions.

For example I went to Applebee's a few weeks post op and everything seemed too big or fattening. I asked for a side d grilled chicken. Nothing else and they were very accommodating.

I went to ninty-nine recently and ordered grilled turkey tips. I comes with French fries and I asked for a swap of mashed potatoes and some broccoli instead. Again very accommodating. I only took a bite of the potatoes and fav the rest to my friend.

I went to a nice pub restaurant and my aunt and i decide to share a few appetizers. we got an appetizer of caviche and a chicken lettuce wrap dish. Both very VSG friendly.

And finally went to the dreaded Cheesecake Factory. I was most surprised with their healthy choices. There were LOTS. I wound up with chicken and mushroom lettuce wraps there also. Awesome. They also had an ahi tuna appetizer that I want to try next time.

There are lots of choices out there for us you just have to look, don't be afraid to ask for something a certain way and stick with things the have protein.

FallenAngel has some great suggestions.

I have a few "go to" places now for specific choices.

Panera - low fat chicken noodle Soup

McDonald's - yogurt parfait

Wendy's - 1/2 grilled chicken salad with no dressing

any Japanese - edamame and sashimi

any Vietnamese - fresh (not fried, in the almost transparent rice wrap) spring roll with shrimp and veggies

I have also learned the word "dry" for food prep when ordering. This means that you would like your fish, chicken or vegetables cooked with little or no oil or fat.

We went to Famous Dave's last night and I shared a kids meal with my grandson and we still had leftovers!

And finally went to the dreaded Cheesecake Factory. I was most surprised with their healthy choices. There were LOTS. I wound up with chicken and mushroom lettuce wraps there also. Awesome. They also had an ahi tuna appetizer that I want to try next time.

The Ahi Carpaccio is the only thing I ever eat at Cheesecake Factory anymore. If you only use a tiny bit of the sauce, it's a serious Protein meal and tastes fantastic. The sauce has mega sodium, of course. I was so disappointed to eat there when I was back in the states over the summer because I'm pregnant and supposed to avoid uncooked fish. I had to find something else to eat, and while there were dozens of other options it wasn't the flavor explosion of the dish I usually order.

Online menus are my best friend post VSG. I almost always have an idea of what I'll order before we hit a restaurant these days, which definitely makes things less frustrating when you're on a more limited diet in the beginning.

~Cheri

I've eaten out on trips a few times since surgery. Mexican is my favorite restaurant, the Beans and grilled shrimp usually work well for me, also the a la carte menu usually means I won't get too much food. But I still ask for the "to go" box when I order LOL. If I'm in a group that goes for something else, then I will check the kids menu for something high in Protein but low in fat, or the appetizers or the Soup of the day. I don't worry about eating out, the left overs are meals for the next few days or my husband will help me eat them-as long as I order something he likes too!

I eat out quite often and usually I'll get the Soup or salad. I do not order a drink, just Water.< /p>

I am 6 months out and we ate at Red Lobster last night, I had the Parmesan Crusted Talapia and I ate about half of it with a few bites of a dry baked potato and a few bites of my salad. I promise you will feel like a normal person when you eat out soon, it's not as bad as you think it will be. I am loving my sleeve!

Sent from Gaye's iPad Mini using VST

I just went out to eat at macaroni Grill last nite. I did go 'all out' but it was a celebratory family meal and i knew all week so i worked out extra hard and was careful all week. And I'll do the same next week. I had the lobster raviolis and Moscato wine. I ate 3/4 of my meal and let my 28 yo son eat the rest. Last night confirmed to me that Pasta is my slider food. I'm almost 5 months out and I was able to get much more than i had expected. But it was so worth it!

I ate like a normal person, felt like a normal person and didn't have one moment of 'omg, people are looking at the fat woman eating pasta!'

Anyway, like many said here, just be aware. If you want to splurge, just be extra careful in your other choices. If you go out to eat a lot, do your homework and make smart choices.

When you order a salad , can you eat a whole bow of it with croutons and grilled chicken? And why do you order Water and not some soda or Ice tea?

I don't eat salad, but on the drinks, you can't drink 30 minutes before or after the meal so thats why I order Water. Soda has carbonation so we can't have that anymore. I'm sure you could iced tea if you got it in a to go cup to drink later.

I will have a scrambled egg and usally don't finish it or I will have some Soup (depends on the kind)

It doesn't bother me when I go out with family or friends. I don't eat because I'm not hungry.

I am 5 weeks post op. I lost 50lbs so far and still going. I have added moderate exercise (walking) and that has help drop a few addtional pounds.

Best of luck to all.

Tim

Soups - apps- child's meals - lunch size menu for dinner - the first few months I ordered just a meatball or shrimp cocktail - now it is usually a meal which surfices for two or three meals.

You will get accoustomed I now have a glass or wine (sometimes two) - I am fine - most of the local restaurants know me and always are agreeable to giving me lunch size portions for dinner.< /p>

The first six months are confusing - remember the last thing you want to do is overeat when you are at a restaurant - it can get ugly quickly.

I went to ninty-nine recently and ordered grilled turkey tips.

Am i the only one that read that and saw "grilled turkey lips" the first time? Lol smh.