Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating out! How do you sleevers do it?

Hi! My question is , when going out to a restaurant what do you order? When your used to ordering a regular meal, like, steak mash veggies and bread. What would u eat ? Does it make you feel uncomfortable that your family can eat a normal size meal and u may not be able to eat a quarter of the plate they serve u?

I order what I feel like that is healthy. I'm a little less than 4 weeks out so not on dense meats yet. We went to a diner last night after the mad rush with my daughter's activities and I had 1 scrambled egg with cheese. I asked for a single egg and didn't feel bad or weird about it. It came with toast and my kids ate that. It also came with hash browns. I had a couple bites of potatoes and about 1/2 the egg. The waitress asked me if anything was wrong with my food because I had so little. I said no that I was simply full. My Aunt teased me a little about my fullness in a playful way. Took my daughter to Friendly's last week and had cheddar broccoli Soup. Only ate 1/2. She had meal, ice cream, etc. Again, it didn't bother me. I have said this in a couple of posts but I actually get to enjoy the people around me more because I am not focused on what I am going to eat, what I am eating, etc. I eat slowly so get to chat with those around me. That was an unexpected benefit.

Nope. You get a lot less self concious and pre occupied with food. I couldn't care less what other people are eating, or really what I'm eating to tell the truth. Going out now is more about being social and catching up with people and less about the food and what I can consume.

I order what I think will sit well (I'm 8 weeks post op). I eat my Protein first. I eat slowley and usually finish (eating, not my plate) about the same time as everyone else. I have never, for second, felt like I was missing out.

Often I order a healthy appetizer. Other times I order a full meal and take the leftovers home to have the healthy parts the next day or even couple of days. I do not let anyone else eat the unhealthy parts of the meal because, if it is bad for me, it is bad for them. I don't want anyone putting on weight because I am losing it. I do not feel uncomfortable ordering or eating small amounts or taking leftovers home. I am proud of it.

My family didn't have surgery, I did, so what they eat doesn't bother me unless I see someone eat far too much food. It kinda grosses me out at that point, but nobody in my immediate family does it. My good habits have rubbed off on them over time and they eat better than they ever have before.

I do things a number of different ways depending on where we're going and how many people I'm eating with. If it's just my two kids and my husband, we usually order a salad or appetizer to share around and the four of us might share two Entrees. I'm surprised at how often we still have leftovers doing this.

If we're going in a big group we usually order several salads and appetizers to share around and I simply eat what few bites I'd like from each dish.

If I'm not in company where I'd do that, I'll order my own food. Sometimes Soup, sometimes soup and salad, sometimes an entree where I'll end up taking 1/2 to 2/3 of the dish home.

I'm at the point where I still can't finish a bowl of soup and a half sandwich and it seems like I never will again. That's fine, I have no issues taking home leftovers to eat later or the next day.

The days where I'm living my life focused on what other people are eating or on what I don't eat are over. Food is enjoyable, sure, but a meal out is more about enjoying the company of the folks I'm with than anything else.

~Cheri

I also usually order a healthy appetizer or one with Protein. At a sports type bar a while back I did wings. At PF Changs, I did their Ahi tuna appetizer. Otherwise I might get a salad or omelet if they have it.

I order from the kid's menu. The restaurant will usually let me do this if I tell them I have had surgery and I am on a restricted diet. I also have a business card that states this from my surgeon if I don't want to announce it. For example, at Cracker Barrel I ordered kid's grilled chicken tenderloins with a vegetable side. At Fatz they have a kid's grilled salmon that is very good. I order that with a baked sweet potato. At Japanese sushi, I eat one or two piece of sushi from my son's roll. I have not tried any steak yet. I am going to wait six months for that. If we go Mexican, I order Al La Carte and get something small like a grilled chicken soft taco. Even ordering from the kid's menu, I am not able to finish it. I take what I can't eat home in a box. Also, when the waitress comes for the drink order I ask for a Water with lemon in a TO GO cup. I don't drink it, but take it with me and drink it later in the car.

This was one of the things I was worried about, im not having my opp till April but my friends and I meet up twice a week, without telling them im having an operation I told them i was going on a Protein diet, now they are all aware im not eating much and im not drinking with our meal so when i have my operation il just continue doing what im doing now

I'm so glad you asked. I'm going out for the first time on Thursday with a large group of friends. Only my husband & 1 really close couple know I had surgery. One couple is WAY too focused on being 'ill', surgery, and complications.....and one is very opinionated and honestly I don't want to listen to all of their comments.

I was concerned what I would eat. I went on line to check out the menu at the restaurant we are going to and it looks like there is an appetizer I can order and eat. (I'm 4 weeks out) I might try to eat some shrimp at home tomorrow to see how that goes-if it goes well there would be another appetizer I could order, so I would have a choice.

I eat grilled chicken or fish mostly. If its a chain restaurant i look up the foods. My concern is I'm not good at gauging my portion size& love carbs. . I know about the comparison to a deck of cards but I just don't like that i don't know For sure how much I'm eating or how it was prepared. I'm 7 wks out& concerned about overeating& stretching my sleeve.i eat until almost full. However, my need for socialization (& food addiction) leads me to eat out. To me, it's appealing that some restaurants don't have healthy choices like TGIF. & why can't customers order smaller sizes or a kid's meal?

I usually get Soup or a chicken salad. Ask for a to go box right away,& only put on your plate what u think u should. I was sleeved 10-23-12,& its still hard for me around big groups. I feel awkward!

I usually get Soup or a chicken salad. Ask for a to go box right away' date='& only put on your plate what u think u should. I was sleeved 10-23-12,& its still hard for me around big groups. I feel awkward![/quote']

Yup!! I always get the Togo box right away!! Out of sight...out of mind!!

I always order a Water even though I don't touch it. It calls less attention to me if I have something in front of me. If I'm with my husband he usually sips off my Water. Otherwise I just let it sit.

I usually get shrimp cocktail, a grilled scallop appetizer, a steak ( cooked med rare cause then when I'm eating it for the next 2-3 days it will still be juicy ) a grilled chicken dish, or soup.

I rarely get fish because I never eat the whole thing and I don't like it reheated.

I have gotten king crab legs several times and while pricy - here is how I justify... I'm not spending money on alcohol and I usually eat one crab leg and feel very satisfied. The other ones I get all the meat out and bring it home and make either crab egg beaters or a crab salad. Totally worth it.

Hope that helps!!

I usually order grilled chicken. I ALWAYS take 1/2 to 3/4 home. If it's a restaurant that has Breakfast all day, I will order scrambled eggs w/ rye toast! Soup is always a good stand by for me too. Just have to choose wisely from the menu... ;) (I don't order from the kids meals as they are full of sodium & starchy & fried foods...)

I am only 4 weeks out but have gone out to eat several times, and it gets easier and easier. I will either just share what my husband is having (with limitations), or I have ordered a shrimp cocktail appetizer and Soup and just eat what I can of each...no one at a table ever turns down a shrimp when I say "I can't finish this, anyone want these shrimp?" LOL.

Under duress, I ordered a regular meal and I just shifted things around on the plate to make it look like I had eaten more, I took the rest home and ate it for the next 2 days and still threw most of it out.

I have not told anyone about my sleeve, only my husband knows, so friends have commented on how little I have been eating, but its a new year right now, so I just tell them I have made a resolution this year to change the way I eat to be healthier.