Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NSV: I'm ON the chart!!!

Here I was wondering what you were all talking about... NSVs. Where's the list so I can follow conversations?

I'm glad I read this post because I just got floored with depression when I calculated my new BMI at 39.4, which is still morbidly obese. I was hoping that after a 40 pound loss I'd make it into the regular obese category. How much more do I have to lose so the world stops calling me morbid? What an awful word. But if Alex is thrilled with a 38, then I'm pretty darn happy with a 39.4, righ? And Shelly, you started at 51? That means I'm not dying today, right?

Actually, DeLarla, I thought 40 was some sort of borderline--like between severely obese and morbidly obese. I know that 40 is the point beyond which the mere fact of fat is considered a life-threatening disease, qualifying one for surgery even without any co-morbidities.

But whatever, it's an imaginary borderline and a silly number. I mean, even Arnold Schwarzenegger is considered obese by that scale because the number takes no account of one's physical fitness.

Even so, it was just a shock to see that on ANY chart or size guide there was a place where I fit, after a lifetime of being too big to be counted at all. :)

Weird that I spent my entire life all alone, not being counted on any charts, in any clothing stores, in any reindeer games. Yet you guys were all there the entire time. I think I need some couch time.... movie rental therapy because my coconut is wandering into some depressed places today.

Oh Lisa, don't be too down at a BMI of 40. I started off at a BMI of 62 and I was really pretty darned healthy otherwise. Haven't shown a sign of dropping dead yet. On the other hand my in-laws were among the skinniest healthiest people I have ever met and they had nothing but horrible health luck. My mother in law died from pulmonary hypertension within 6 months of being diagnosed and my father in law spent 4 months in the hospital (while his wife was dying) recovering from an ascending aortic anyuerism and 5 strokes that followed. He is actually recovering health wise pretty good but emotionally he is still having a very hard time. Being skinny won't necessarily guarantee a long healthy life. Sorry if I added to the morbid feeling... You are fine as you are and you are just going to keep getting better feeling. Don't worry about the BMI, they are a bunch of stupid little numbers that don't tell all the facts. T

I'm just worried in general today. I called Dr. Billy's nurse, who told me Dr. Billy has only seen 2 Mexican patients that had port infections, and BOTH of them had erosion as well. Now I'm paranoid that I might have erosion. I left a message for my doctor to see if he checked for erosion when he removed my port, but it's not looking good since Inamed said they might not be able to see infection that way. I didn't get a scopey, so I'm a bundle of nerves. So what's new?

Lisa: I really doubt that you have erosion. It can take longer than you have had the band to see erosion. But if you are that concerned then get an Endoscopy and have your GP use a diagnosis that the insurance will cover. Looking for Ulcers, etc.

But Penni, Dr. Billy's nurse told me they saw 2 port infections, and both port infections also had band erosions. Are you saying those 2 port infections happened way late in the band game? I guess I just assumed a port infection occured from the onset while trying to recover from band surgery. So, if those two patients were like me, and had immediate port infections, that also means they had immediate erosion. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe you can get more info from Billy's office?

at the risk of helping to drift this thread into other waters. (((((Lisa))))) It sounds like you could use a hug. :)

My BMI is now 37.7 having come down from about 45, I think it was.

Leatha :)

Lisa: In my humble opinion I would expect the erosions and the port infections to be separate of each other and the fact that you have one would not necessarily mean you would have the other. It could have been a coincidence that they both had erosion with the infection.

An infection can be caused by poor technique of accessing the port. It should be done under sterile technique. Ideally prep with Betadine and use sterile gloves when accessing the port. If this technique is not used then you open up the possibility of introducing normal bacteria that is present on the surface of the skin into the port reservoir, which is a nice warm wet environment that bacteria love. It can then migrate up to the band area and cause problems. But whether it ALWAYS causes band erosion I would be highly suspect of that word ALWAYS. It could cause erosion but not ALWAYS. In my limited understanding of the erosion process, and I am sure Donali can chime in here, it is over a long period of time that it can occur. IT won't happen overnite unless there is stomach irritation that is constant. This irritation could cause the lining of the stomach to be compromised and weak in areas that could cause the erosion. I will look into more research into this matter and see if what I am saying is really accurate. I don't wanna mislead anyone.

OK, I went to Inamed's site and looked at their page of risks. Here is what I found in relation to Infections and Erosions.

"In a 3 year study, four out of 299 patients (1.3%) had their bands erode into their stomachs.

Infection is possible. Also, the band can erode into the stomach. This can happen right after surgery or years later, although this rarely happens."

So it is possible to develop erosion after surgery but it also says 'rarely happens.' FOCUS ON THAT!!

Get an endoscopy to make sure if you are concerned.

Thank You Penni for asking the question I have been dying to ask ..what is NSV

I tried and tried to figure out what those three little letters meant but just couldn't do it!

Non scale Victories - I love it!

Lisa,

I remember Donali saying that some of the signs of erosion that she found while doing research was 1) port infections AFTER the initial healings. Your still trying to heal from the original surgery AND the port removal. An erosion related port infection is caused by bacteria and acid from your stomach having eroded and coming into contact with the tubing leading to the port. 2) Loss of restriction and weight loss stopping or even gaining. Like Penni said it is VERY unlikely. You ARE having a rough day aren't you? Do whatever you need to do to ease your worry but I don't think anything is wrong with you. You never fully healed from the initial surgery. Teresa

Alexandra! Congratulations! I am not ready to face the BMI yet.... I cant even remember what it was to start with. Talk about selective memory. But above anything, congratulations on going to the gym and doing the work! I am very impressed!

Lisa, I am sorry things are not going so well. I hope you feel better soon. What can we do? is it painful to laugh? I guess it would be so jokes are out of the question, unless they are really bad...... hmmmmmm I'll try to think of something. In the meantime I'm sending my super talented guardian angel your way. Hope he helps.

Donali, where are you? how are you?

cheers

tellie

You guys are right that I worry too much. Alex, sorry for taking your post off the deep end. I'll start a new post to continue.