Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody familiar with thai food?

I need some help! I am attending a baby shower tomorrow night at a Thai restaurant but have never eaten Thai food, so have no idea what to expect or if anybody knows some low fat, diet friendly dishes to look for? I am pre surgery but with 7 days that will include a baby shower and 2 birthday parties, I don't want to blow it now. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thai food varies greatly. From noodle heavy dishes that are covered with sweet sauces like Pad Thai. To spicy very healthy dishes like Thai Curries.

If you are looking for a suggestion I love green curry with chicken. Different resturaunts make it in different consistencies, some he curry is like a thick sauce, others it's more of a Soup. But it is very good. One word of caution, it is a bit spicy. If you can handle moderately spicy Mexican you'll be fine, if not, you can have them tone it down a bit, or even try a red curry or mango curry.

I do know and love Thai food. They have vegetable dishes that are low cal and you can ask for minimal oil when they prepare it. You wont starve lol.

Oh I'm not afraid of starving, just the opposite in fact. I'm really afraid I will get into pre op next week and they will put me on the scale then cancel my surgery cause I've gained weight! I love curry so will give that a try. Maybe if I just pick out the Protein, all will be good. Thanks for the responses.

They usually have lettuce wraps on the appetizer menu. I usually get chicken and they are so good! Post op, its like 5 meals for me lol.

Thai can be very healthy and was one of my favorite takeouts pre surgery! .... but I don't think curry is a "healthy" choice! It's made with coconut cream! With the addition of rice it's also high carb. Non creamy Soups are a good choice and they also do a lot of stirfrys (meat and veggies). Thats prob ur best option :)

There are tons of things you can choose from but as said before I would stick to the curry and side of rice if you can handle it. I love red or green curry but there is also yellow.

Yep, the coconut milk and rice will get ya! I like the spicy beef or spicy shrimp salad. There are also some meat/veggie combinations that will be fine. Just skip the noodles and rice and heavy sauces.

It is spicy hot food, but that's good for metabolism :-)

Yeah I kinda thought curry would not be the best option. So yummy though! The good news is, I saw my surgeon yesterday and since I have lost 3x the amount he asked me to, he told me to do what I want for the next few days before I start my liquid diet on Monday. Not planning on going crazy but it's nice not to have that stress of watching every ounce because I don't want my surgery cancelled.

They have whats called chicken satay! They r grilled chicken skewers with peanut sauce on the side for dipping.. usually have it on the appetizer choice. Healthy and delish!! :)

Thai can be wonderful. Lettuce wraps that someone already suggested, Soups - lovely soups that you don't have to put the fried noodles in and steamed dishes.