Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Felt a little out of place at pre-op class, smallest person there

I had my pre-op class today and it definitely made me feel a little out of place. My BMI is 37, so I am overweight, but the other people in the class were REALLY overweight. I know I am making the right decision for myself but definitely had my first set of "am I really doing the right thing?" feelings. Anyone else have the same experience? I almost feel kind of silly for having the surgery.

Only you (and maybe your doctor) can answer that. Your reasons are yours. Just as you shouldn't measure your loss against someone else's you shouldn't worry about not having to lose as much as some. I really do wish that when I was "Only" a BMI of 37 that I sought to have the surgery. Maybe you just came to the party a little earlier than others. :-) Timing is everything!

As you decide how to proceed, I'm sure you'll be thoughtful in your rationale.

Good luck!!

I had one guy's dad (who came with him for "support") tell me that I didn't belong there and that I could just lose the weight myself. Don't worry about it, you have to do for you. I was most definitely qualified to be there, and it was the best decision I could have made for myself. I know it's easy to say something like...I know I'm overweight, but he/she is REALLY overweight, but the truth is, we're all there for a reason. Some of us have just had our epiphany and are coming to it a little sooner than others. I knew I wasn't losing...I knew I didn't want to end up on a scooter, or diabetic, or having knees and hips replaced. I looked at my parents and looked at myself and made the decision to save my life.

I had my pre-op class today and it definitely made me feel a little out of place. My BMI is 37, so I am overweight, but the other people in the class were REALLY overweight. I know I am making the right decision for myself but definitely had my first set of "am I really doing the right thing?" feelings. Anyone else have the same experience? I almost feel kind of silly for having the surgery.

I felt the same way when I went to my class. I was at a 37 now at 40.3 ( i gained 9 pounds to have the surgery, but thats another story). I kept asking myself if this is the best choice for me. But then I thought back to all the times I have tried and failed. I also thought that I want to stop this before I get to that point.

But it is a personal decision.

It's a personal decision. First don't compare yourself to others. Second ask you self how many times have you tried to lose weight only to gain it back plus more.

You will. Make the right decision for you!

I was at BMI of 39, and was by far the smallest person in the room at the pre-op seminar. That did not deter me. I am already at 9 months the size I want to be, and I am sure the others are still working on their weight loss. Not gloating, just glad that I made the decision before I got any heavier. If I could have lost the weight on my own, I would not have been at the seminar. And I bet the same is true for you.

I had a BMI of 36 and was the smallest person also. I felt really awkward but decided I was doing it for me and no one else. It got easier from then on.... ;) Best decision I ever made. :)

I too felt this way when I went to a seminar last year. I was the smallest there at around 200 lbs and thought heavily about my decision because of this reason - even gave a good effort at healthy lifestyle and exercise (with no real results) thinking it was wrong of me to consider surgery. However, since then I've decided to move forward with having the surgery because I know nothing has worked for me personally. I am thankful because because I was able to really process why I wanted to do this - before I gained more and more weight. Remember, as long as you meet the requirements then it doesn't matter what side of the spectrum you land on :) We all have our own reasons and there is nothing to be ashamed of - we're in this together! I feel having the surgery will give me the boost I need and movement in the right direction to tackle my eating habits head on - others have their way of dieting, this is MY way :).

I just attended my behavior management class and first nutrition class yesterday and I felt very much the same as you. I am 259 and at 42 BMI but being 5'6 I don't look extremely heavy. I actually got a few looks from others and I felt a bit uncomfortable at first.

I know that with my health issues at age 41 having the sleeve is the best step for me. I am a single mom who takes care of my 3 children and I need to be here for them. I have made the decision to have this surgery for my health, not to just look better. Of course that's a great benefit that comes with it but it was not why I made the decision to proceed with it.

You need to do what is best for you. Don't second guess your decision based off others.

My BMI is over 40 but I hold my weight very well (for the most part). The few people i have told feel like I am to "small" to get this surgery, but I know its something I need. Alot of people is always going to have something to say rather is positive or negative. You know your struggles better than anyone else. You know your reasons for wanting to have this procedure. Stay strong, follow through and ignore the ignorant!

I have had someone say to me that they were against medical weight loss surgery and that " Healthy Eating+exercise= weight loss". And that she hopes our medical coverage isn't paying for it .

You will always have people think you don't need it. I haven't told anyone but family and friends. When I got my orientation date I expressed my happiness on a local forum and got that. Now the person has since apologized but doesn't take the sting or the feeling of not expressing my want or Need for the surgery.

I am only a bmi of 41 and have been told I don't need it either. But we both know there's healthy and emotional reasons why we need it. All the power to you girl :)

Same thing here. Although I didn't specifically notice being "smaller" than everyone else at orientation, one of the other ladies told me she thought I already had the surgery.

My BMI is 35/36 and I fight to stay there. I have hyptertension and my parents are both overweight with severe weight related health issues that I would like to avoid. I know I need surgery for my health.

Although it is frustrating when people tell you that you don't seem "big enough" for surgery, I just smile and say thanks. Well meaning people sometimes give advice they don't know isn't good advice.

I sort of felt the same way. I only told one friend (a stick thin friend) about getting the surgery and she told me I wasn't big enough yet - I should wait. But I thought to myself why should I wait? Why should I wait till my blood pressure is trough the roof and highly medicated? why should I wait for wear and tear on my bones and joints? Why should I go on feeling tired and hungry ALL THE TIME!

So at a BMI of 31 I decided to do it. One of the ladies in the hospital came in and chatted with me and said she was surprised at how small I was, but good for me for taking action! She wasn't that big either - I think her BMI was a 37 because she already had the lapband but was getting it revised to a sleeve.

Mine was at 39 yet I know it was the right decision for me. Don't let this deter you. We all know our own bodies, habits, obsessions, etc.

My BMI is 32/33, and I definitely have questions about whether this is the right way to go. But I have been at this weight for 10 years. I also have severe sleep apnea, diabetes, and a family history of severe cardiovascular disease. I would rather take this step and stop having to worry all the time than wait another ten years and be facing a triple bypass. I don't think you should be comparing yourself to other people, just be comfortable with the reasons you are doing it on your own behalf, you know?