Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dallas debates new crack law...

Tom where do you get your data? I checked online and found articles that put the number of white people buying hip hop and rap at 10-15%. In the past it was reported at 70% but those stats have come underfire because it never asked the participants their race, the record labels just assumed. Once they begain asking for race that number dropped by 60%. i got my info here poplicks.com/2005/06/who-buy-hip-hop.html i would love to see where you got your 85%. And i believe that my point is valid about the racial implications of a baggy pants law, perhaps you believe otherwise but here in Boston this issue has come up and it turned racial.

I read that figure a year or so ago in a magazine at my son's house. He is really into the hip-hop culture and buys magazines dedicated to that life-style.

As far as pants sagging, I personally do not like it, but I am against any law that regulates clothing styles. I do not see laws against sagging pants as actually racist, but it may be true that the misconceptions of many who are behind passing those laws might be racist.

However, in Boston, if the vast majority of people with sagging pants are Black as you claim, it doesn't mean that it is the same for all parts of the country. I have seen whites here in Florida as well as Blacks with sagging pants, though down here, it is much less prevalent among males of either race. Women wear their pants pretty low around here and many wear bikini tops in the street, which gets the ire of some people also. I do not complain about that, except when my wife catches me taking a second look. :faint:

As far as pants sagging, I personally do not like it, but I am against any law that regulates clothing styles. I do not see laws against sagging pants as actually racist, but it may be true that the misconceptions of many who are behind passing those laws might be racist.

However, in Boston, if the vast majority of people with sagging pants are Black as you claim, it doesn't mean that it is the same for all parts of the country.

I live in suburban Dallas/Ft Worth. My granddaughter goes to school in a primarily white district. They have a "no sag" dress code. And a "no midriff" one, as well. Skirts and shorts may not be more than 4 inches above the knee. Girls have to wear "appropriate undergarments". That means they can't come to school bra-less. I was amazed to learn that 14 year old girls had to be told to put on a bra.

My daughter goes to a private Catholic school, and there is a dress code as well. I don't think theres anything wrong with dress codes in schools for children. But its when its a dress code for adults in regular everday life well...I would definitely start protesting by wearing baggy pants if they even tried it! lol Probably have to sit my fat butt in jail over it. (on a side note, my pants really are getting baggier everyday!)

What about the male joggers that run shirtless? Or the girls that wear pants flipped over with belly buttons exposed? All my nephews from Dallas.....wore the dropped pants ...they finally out grew it......

I would like to make it through just one day without glimpsing anyone’s underwear except my own. And it's a simple thing to tell if your pants fit appropriately or not…if you can’t sit down without showing your undies, either your pants are too low, or your shirt is too short. Then you should adjust accordingly – please. I know some people think the rest of the world wants to see what kind of thong they're wearing, but most of us don’t. Really, we don’t. It’s called underwear for a reason, people. Now jump up and down a couple of times. If your pants fall down, they’re too big. Put on a belt, for crying out loud. Trust me, when you have to walk like a duck just to keep from losing your pants, it’s not cool…it’s weird.

It's a fashion that belongs to the young and that is why they like it. If you really want to get them to stop it then we should all start doing it. Seeing their parents and their grandparents showing underwear and crack would stop them cold. LOL

It's a fashion that belongs to the young and that is why they like it. If you really want to get them to stop it then we should all start doing it. Seeing their parents and their grandparents showing underwear and crack would stop them cold. LOL

You would be surprised at how many moms I've seen who have a "crack problem". In Fort Worth they recently adopted a school dress code for TEACHERS. Who would ever have seen that coming?

I don't think theres anything wrong with dress codes in the work place. But when adults are on their own time, why should any other adult have the right to tell them what to wear? Furthermore when my children are on thier own time, its up to me what they wear. Life, LIBERTY, and pursuit of happiness! And some ppl maybe like seeing underwear?? lol I don't like seeing underwear either, but I can tolerate it, what would be intolerable to me would be police arresting or ticketing someone for it.

What about the male joggers that run shirtless?
Years ago a judge in NY State ruled that as long as males can walk around without covering their tops, so can females.

I do not know if that ruling was ever over-turned, but it seems to me that if it was it would be gender-discrimination. :)