Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are there any beer drinkers out there??

I just had my surgery on 10-18-06 by Dr.Spiegel in Houston. I look forward to having a few beers every Friday night. I have heard that carbonated beverages are a no-no. Please, say it isn't so!!! I really love my beer. Does anyone have any advice or knowledge about this important topic!?

I love beer myself but have not had one since my birthday (08.12.06). I knew going in that I couldn't drink beer and it was almost a deal breaker for me. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it but have actually started drinking wine or frozen drinks instead. It wasn't easy giving it up but I was drinking way too much (hense the weight gain) so it probably isn't all bad. I guess you have to ask yourself which is more important . . . beer or getting healthy!

I am happy to say I can even watch friends having beers without crying or craving a cold one. As long as I have something in my hand, I'm good. : )

PatU

I find it troubling that you're already banded but are just hearing this important piece of information - that carbonated drinks like beer are not recommended for Bandsters, especially new post-ops.

(Likewise many RnY Bypass patients can't tolerate the carbonation or the alcohol of beer, so it's fairly well known that it happens after Weight Loss Surgery.)

I don't drink the stuffv :beer:, but some Banded folk just can't tolerate the carbonation, especially when they get more restricted. The burping & hiccuping & tight feeling in the chest just don't make a cold brew attractive to me at all. :) (Luckily, I do fine with wine, but I didn't drink until months and months after being banded, honestly. )

(*shakes head*) Hopefully you'll find lots of information about the band process here, and at other places online. There is a lot to learn, especially when you're given incomplete information. Good luck on your Banding - welcome aboard.

I was banded Feb2006, and I just drank my first carbonated drinks last month. I was warned of two things that carbonation causes: 1. pain due to the bloating in the small pouch, and 2. stretching of the pouch. Both bad things to happen.

I enjoyed a beer last night at the hockey game, and I didn't feel a lick of pain. However, that doesn't mean the pouch didn't stretch out. And, goodness knows I don't want that!

So...

If you can truly enjoy one carbonated drink and stop at that, then I can't see the harm in it. But, even without pain, it is not something I will do on a normal basis ever again. EVER. We paid a lot of money and spent a lot of time at getting our perfect little pouch, and I refuse to be responsible for making it bigger! :girl_hug:

Good luck!!

Nat

My doc said it was fine to have as much carbonation as I wanted. I am not a soda drinker so its a beer occasionally. The burping is a bit unpleasent, but no pain and he said that it doenst stretch out the pouch. Theres obviously some disagreement on this of course!

Once in a very great while, I will get a craving for an ice cold beer. When I have, I have not had any problems with it. One is always enough for me though. I get silly enough from just that.

Once in a while, I will have a beer or two. Some times it goes down fine and other days, one drink is too much and I'm miserable and that's the end of that drink! I don't drink soda any more at all.

My Dr.'s say carbonation is a huge no-no, but I love beer. In desperation I stirred a beer till it was "flat" and drank it. YUCK!!!! You might want to switch to wine ;-)

I am not a beer drinker but I have always loved diet pop. I gave up my carbonated pop over a month ago as the doctor said no carbonated beverages. Anyone out there with a diet pop habit?:straight

I am an avid beer drinker. I suggest you stir your beer with a straw or something to get some of the carbonation out (or do what I do- drink dark beer which is not as carbonated). And drink slowly.

HOWEVER- I strongly recommend you DO NOT drink beer and eat food at the same time. I have tried it twice and it hurt like hell both times!

I don't drink beer or soda. Doc said not to, so I'm not even going to try it. I was a diet Mt. Dew fiend pre-surgery so don't want to try it, find out it's ok and then get back on that caffeine addiction.

I've tried beer a couple times and it HURT. Too much carbonation and it was hard to get all the burp out and like Bensmum said, there was no sort of eating while having the beer.

I spoke personally to a representative from Inamed on the phone, and he said that there is "no way" that carbonation can hurt the band. He said the reason some doctors forbid carbonation is because of the potential discomfort it can cause. He said there is a "theoretical" risk of pouch stretching or band slippage, but that it is "very, very, very unlikely" and that the risk of band slippage is much greater from hicupping, coughing, sneezing, and especially PB'ing, than it is from carbonation.

That being said, you know the old tagline, "follow your doctor's advice".

I myself indulge in a Guiness now and again and have no discomfort from it. Beer is fermented, not forced, carbonation anyway, and thus is different from soda. I stick to the beers with less carbonation just to be on the safe side. My doctor did tell me I could enjoy an occasional champagne or beer, so with my doc's advice plus Inamed's final word, I feel ok with that.

Sunta- The biggest fattest thank you to you for the info about the carbonation, I have been freaking out and thinking my pouch is all stretch because I tied one on this past weekend and now seem like I have little restriciton. Thanks for your foot work and phone calls.