Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Egd Experience

Friday, I went in for my EGD, after having my preliminary consultation with the Gastrointerologyst on 10/30. I've seen lots of questions about the EGD on here, so I thought I'd just share my experience, top to bottom.

The first thing that surprised me was that when they called me to schedule my date, they told me the hospital would call me the day before the procedure to let me know the time. I thought that was a little strange, but apparently, that's par for the course. I actually got the call on Wednesday afternoon, for the Friday appointment time. Then I got a follow-up call on Thursday from admitting to get me pre-registered. When I got done with the pre-registration, I got my second surprise: my portion was going to cost me $606. I guess I should have expected it, because it's not exactly a copay office visit situation. That was my 20%.

The hospital was pretty efficient. They are notorious for bad parking, and now they have valet parking, which was very convenient. I signed in at the information desk, and they gave me a little pager like the one's they use at restaurants. About 5 minutes later, I got called in to admitting, got checked in and paid my fee. I was then sent down to the GI waiting room. In probably less than 10 minutes, they called me in to get me prepped. I only removed my shirt, leaving on the pants, socks & shoes. The IV was started, they took my BP and temperature, and they wheeled me into the hallway next to the room where they do the procedure.

Seeing my doctor, I said hello and commend on how good he looked that day! ;) In fact, I gave the same complement to each of the hospital staff. :P I don't know if it helped, but it certainly didn't hurt!

Maybe 10 minutes later they wheeled a woman, passed out, from the room and another 5 minutes later, wheeled me in. After a little light discussion, the doctor had heard enough and told the dope guy to put me out. The last thing I remember was a slight lucid feeling and asking the dope guy, "you gave me the juice, huh?" He confirmed, and I was out. Just like that.

During the procedure I recall a brief moment of the bite thing in my mouth. I'm guessing they were finishing up. I think I remember being wheeled out, but can't quite be sure. Seemingly moments later, I woke up, sat up, put my shirt on, and I was on my way to go get some Soup.< /p>

Overall, on the day of, I had a little discomfort in my throat, not unlike when you have a cold and you get a sore throat. I napped a bit after getting home, then in the evening, I was a little tired, but managed to busy myself and stay awake. My throat continued to be a little sore on Saturday, but less so, and by Sunday, I was fine.

The doctor, apparently found some polyps in my stomach and took samples for biopsy. I'm not sure when I'll hear back on that. Does anyone have any experience with this part?

The doctor, apparently found some polyps in my stomach and took samples for biopsy. I'm not sure when I'll hear back on that. Does anyone have any experience with this part?

I just had my EGD last week, and they also made a 'surprise discovery' of a small ulcer in my stomach wall. I think most places will send out a letter advising of the results and recommendations....but since I was told to schedule a follow-up EGD in January, I called the office today (3 business days after procedure), and they were able to share the biopsy results over the phone as well. So I'd say, just call the office a few business days after the EGD, because it's better than the waiting time for the 'ol snail mail. Also, sometimes MD's are a little behind on the administrative side of things. Good luck!

The doctor' date=' apparently found some polyps in my stomach and took samples for biopsy. I'm not sure when I'll hear back on that. Does anyone have any experience with this part?[/quote']

They found two polyps during my Edg...they were removed during the procedure and sent for biopsy and the results came back with all being ok.

@arcusx can I ask what insurance you have and was the $606 just for that one test?

@arcusx can I ask what insurance you have and was the $606 just for that one test?

Cigna PPO. Office visits are $20, but apparently other things like outpatient procedures follow the 80/20 path: they pay 80%, I pay 20%, after a $200 deductable, up to $2000 out of pocket max. So, $200 deductable, plus 20% of what was left - must have been around $2000. I can easily see that procedure/test costing $2k. I was only around $350 into my annual out of pocket max. I'll reach the rest by the time surgery comes up.

Finally had my follow-up yesterday:

Reflux is rated "A" - or - "Mild"

Polyps were benign.

Only one more hurdle, and that's psych today!

Cigna PPO.

This is a little more than "just a test." I get why they charge; there's a lot that happens, even if you're not aware of it. Off the top of my head:

• admitting
  • nurse
  • gastro dr.
  • anastheseologist
  • other nurse
  • IV
  • drug that knocks you out
  • instruments & prep
  • procedure room

I'm sure all that stuff adds up. So, my (20%) part was $606, which means the whole thing to insurance as around $3,030. I can see that being the cost...

I had two and my first one the total billed to insurance was almost 11k. I just had the second one last Monday and so far that was is only 6k but not everything is in yet. Ended up paying around 700 for the first one. This crazy!

That is crazy. We have to be put under for the surgery. I'm glad I only had the upper GI test. Every time we are put under general anesthesia, we are at risk for complications, but besides that, I only had to pay $42 for my out if pocket cost for the upper GI. That's easier to swallow! Sorry...pun intended :)

I had my egd Monday and my part was 184