Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

any one in utah want to talk

Welcome Sunny!! I think most of us have had surgery here in Utah. Do you know who is going to do your fills? I've heard some good things about a Dr. McKeen in Orem. You'll start to feel much better in the next week. It took me 2 weeks to feel back to normal and about 3 weeks to get all of my energy back.

mypov: I haven't tried any of the clear Protein drinks. I have heard that the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury ones are good though. Your surgery is so close!!

Dawnae: One more day!!! Let us know how you're doing when you feel up to it. Good luck tomorrow!

thanks JD!!! I am a little nervous but excited. I will let you guys know how I am doing!

mypov...I have been using the isopure.....grape is my favorite and the apple melon tastes a little like grass....at least to my taste buds. The orange is pretty good too.

Welcome Sunny! There are a lot of people on on a yahoo chat site...who have done surgery in Mexico....DFWbandsters I think. I will check for sure and let you know. They are very nice and helpful!

Wish me luck tommorow is d-day!

Wishing you the best tomorrow on your big day Dawnae!

I am going to give Dr McKeen a call next week after hearing good reports of him on another board.

I have only been here in Utah about a year, although my family has been up here forever and do not have a Primary care Physician. Hubby just started a new job- new insurance- and I need to find one in SLC. I am concerned after readong some of these boards about a negative reaction from doctors because I had the surgery done in Mexico. Perhaps Dr. M will have some suggestions. I don't want to be treated poorly by a doctor because of my decision, it wasn't something I really worried about before, but apparently it's a pretty big issue. Although so far so good, I'm worried about that.

good luck dawnae... I sure you will come through with flying colors. What ever that means... Let us know when you can.

I was so big on getting Protein drinks that I spent money at some online place and when I got it I realized that I hated it.. . I got Isopure and at GNC and it was ok but not something I loved. Benefiber is great. I use it all the time mixed in just about everything. no taste. my advice is not to spend too much on Protein stuff. try a few but really when you are on real food. just eat protein first. if you like the taste of the protein then use it, but like the nectar stuff. it is not for me. I got someprotein pudding again.. the taste. it gags me. They do have protein supplements you can mix in your own food (later) powder stuff you can put in smoothies, oatmeal etc.

as far as liquid stage. I lived on broth. it was warm . felt good going down and has protein. tried gator aide and threw up. first day home.. not a good idea. I also drank apple juice and Water. I tried isopure after a week. Just relax and get recooperated. More about mushies later...

Hello! I had mine done in Mexico and had a wondeful experience. I've been using FillCenters USA for my fills and the owner of the company started it because his daughter was banded in Mexico and couldn't get a fill in the US so they don't descriminate against Mexico patients at all. Now if you call around SLC and ask some of the bariatric surgeons if they'll fill Mexico patients THEN you will see some rudeness, least I did. :)

Good to know Kynekke. So you get your fills in Payson, then? That's my hubby's hometown. What has your experience been like with the place you get fills there? How did your regular Primary Care physicial react to/ respond to your getting surgery in Mexico?

I haven't used the guy in Payson, Dr. Green, because I can't afford him. Right now he is $520 for fill/fluoro and rumor has it he's going up to $700 after the first of the year. I use FillCenters USA but the guy in Salt Lake is brand new, I have my first appointment with him on Tuesday for a fill/fluoro for $240 total ($300 for first fill... $155 for fills after that and $85 fluoro).

My Primary Care Physician "discontinued" my service after getting a lapband in Mexico. I found a new Doctor though that is so thrilled with my weight loss and very curious bout the Mexico hospital. He was astounded to hear about the polished marble floors and the beautiful rooms, not to mention the private nurse and how my Physician was training 3 Doctors from California while I was there.

Well, please let me know what you think of the fill center in SLC. I am on the fence about going to them or the Dr in orem, I'll probably meet with both before deciding, but I am very interested in hearing how your appointment Tuesday goes.

Whereabouts in Utah do you live? I am in SLC (Murray) and if you have a PCP in the valley who is supportive, it could save me a lot of stress.

The marble floors in Mexico were nice, but I had my surgery done durnig some freak cold front and they were ice cold. Dr. H brought in space heaters because of the weird weather. 2 days later when I left it was sunny and in the 70's. Go figure.

I live in Roy and the Doctor I use is actually at the NowCare up here but my Orthopaedic Surgeon is also thrilled to death with my weight loss and didn't seem to care that I'd had surgery in Mexico, as long as the weight was dropping.

I think the thing with the marble floors was that it wasn't some run-down hospital with rusty tools and cots. It was the nicest hospital I've ever seen!

I saw Dr. Muse last night in Salt Lake and I am VERY impressed!! He was so kind and thoughtful, he listened to all I had to say and seemed genuinely concerned. He tried 2 pokes and couldn't hit the port so we went and got Fluoro. I give him a thumbs up :)

Hey everybody, I am back, trying to heal....hard with Christmas and the kids! But I did not think I would be hungry! I take the liquids and then about an hour later I am hungry....I thought I would have some restriction. The other thing is that I get this horrible sensation in my chest.....like air trying to bubble up and it is not fun....am I not swallowing correctly???? I don't know I sure hope this works for me.....I moved up the full liquid diet a full two days because I was just to hungry....do you think I could have stretched the pouch out already?????

glad you are doing so well. yes, I was hungry after I got over feeling sick from the surgery. I had chest pains too. They say it is the air they put in your abdomen to do the surgery. some people get it in the shoulder and others the chest. I don't think you can stretch out the pouch with just liquids. actually I think everything goes down, nothing stays in the little pouch. at this time don't try to diet too much.. go ahead and drink your liquids when you are hungry.. (within limits) when you get on mushies my dr told me to eat 2/3 of a cup 3 times a day... but the nutritionist told me to eat 3/4 to 1 cup. and some snacks.. I just kept track of calories and didn't go over 1,000 for a few weeks until I healed properly. but while on liquid I drank all I wanted .. not going over 1,000 calories.. You would be surprised how much you can drink. anyway we all have to do what we feel is right for us. the other ladies will probably tell you something different. also are you in the November banders group. It was really nice to hear what people who had just been through it or going through it did. Hang in there.. the pain goes away and before you know it you will be eating normal again..

Hi I live in SLC, UT but was banded in Blackfoot, ID with DR. Avila . I was banded on 12/07/06 so it has been almost 3 weeks and on mashed foods. Does anyone have any suggestions to thirst. I'm not suppose to drink anything 30-45 min. prior to eating or 1 hr. after but am just so thirst any suggestions?

I would guess just making sure you keep hydrated during the day will help, otherwise, I don't know.

As I read through the boards I am noting that some lap banders were put on very clear and strict diets both pre-op and post. I was not. I was told to eat liquids the ifrts week and then slowly introduce mushy and soft foods and chew, chew chew. Otherwise, He told me to just learn to listen to my body and recognize how I need to chew and what fullness feels like and that's pretty much it.

I'm nearly 4 weeks post op and I can eat anything pretty much. When I have had to much I get the shoulder pain but otherwise, I am really chewing my food well and so far have not had any problems.

I was told not to worry about weight loss until I had my filland just spend the first 6 weeks protecting the surgery and recovering, so I am only down about 5 lbs- and I am fine with that, but I am just noticing my instructions were not nearly as strict as others.

Hello everyone. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas. I had a hard time eating. toooo much tooooo often. anyway I got my first fill today. so I am ready to start again... HAPPY AND SUCCESSFUL NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU