Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

any one in utah want to talk

This is nice getting to learn more about everyone.

I'm Chris and I live in Taylorsville. I just got (re)married last July and between his kids and mine- we have 7 kids. I am a human taxi/stay at home mom.

I grew up in AZ, but moved here when I got divorced because all of my family is in Utah. Best move I ever made and I love it here.

I was banded in Mexico by Dr. Huacuz and I am really happy withthe job he did. My best friend, her cousin,2 sisters and Dad were all banded by him first and so I had a lot of confidence in him and his skill level.

I have been getting my fills from fillcentersusa, but have only had 2 and the first one, he accidentally took out the Fluid I started with and didn't realize he had missed the port when refilling, so I had no fill at all and just thought I was a total screw up. I feel like this past monday was my first real fill. AND I am FINALLY losing weight!!!!!! Moday I was 217, this morning I am 213.4. Finally finally finally!!!!!!!!

I am also seeing how much I use food as medicine. Last night I was really upset and went to Harmons and bought all of this food, out of habit , to deal with the stress and realized I couln't even eat 99% of it. It bummed me out and yet- in some way- I feel happy about it. Since I know I cant keep it down, I didn't even try one bite. So that is a small baby step towards having some self control.

Welcome Wendi!!

Karen...have you started mushies yet??

Tomorrow is the day! I'm already in heaven today being able to drink full liquids but I'm fully prepared for tomorrow: last night I bought a piece of ham to grind, potatoes to mash, squash, yams, and ingredients for the custard crockpot recipe. Boy, am I ready! I'm sure I'll have about a bite of each at intervals throughout the day but it sure sounds good now.

For those of you who may be LDS or who fast for other reasons: do you still fast since the band? I'm just wondering if it causes problems going 24 hours without food. I won't fast tomorrow for sure but I'm wondering about the future. What is your advice?

one more thing about mushies--if I understand it correctly, I can eat anything on the mushie stage as long as I put it through a baby food strainer or blender. Is that right? I bought a "Bullet" at costco last night and am excited to use it. I also have a baby food strainer if the Bullet leaves any lumps or pieces. With mushies, do you still limit yourself to 2/3 c. of food three times a day like when you are on the real food stage?

welcome wendi, I hope you have a wonderful experience. Let us know if you have any questions.

Fasting? I have fasted from the night before to about 3:00 and it was ok. It doesn't seem to matter how long between you eat but mostly what you eat.

Karen, I was told that mushies can't be too thick in the beginning. should be able to fall off the spoon. then you can get gradually thicker. Your band is still swollen and needs to heal so you don't want to gather food in your upper pouch yet. enjoy...

This is nice getting to learn more about everyone.

I'm Chris and I live in Taylorsville. I just got (re)married last July and between his kids and mine- we have 7 kids. I am a human taxi/stay at home mom.

I grew up in AZ, but moved here when I got divorced because all of my family is in Utah. Best move I ever made and I love it here.

I was banded in Mexico by Dr. Huacuz and I am really happy withthe job he did. My best friend, her cousin,2 sisters and Dad were all banded by him first and so I had a lot of confidence in him and his skill level.

I have been getting my fills from fillcentersusa, but have only had 2 and the first one, he accidentally took out the Fluid I started with and didn't realize he had missed the port when refilling, so I had no fill at all and just thought I was a total screw up. I feel like this past monday was my first real fill. AND I am FINALLY losing weight!!!!!! Moday I was 217, this morning I am 213.4. Finally finally finally!!!!!!!!

I am also seeing how much I use food as medicine. Last night I was really upset and went to Harmons and bought all of this food, out of habit , to deal with the stress and realized I couln't even eat 99% of it. It bummed me out and yet- in some way- I feel happy about it. Since I know I cant keep it down, I didn't even try one bite. So that is a small baby step towards having some self control.

I'm also getting my fills from fillcentersusa. Who is the actual doctor doing your fills? Mine is Dr. Derek Muse in Salt Lake City.

I am also seeing Dr. Muse. I was his second fill patient when I went in the first time, but he has done about 40 more since I first went in and it was night and day difference, not just in the fact that my fill actually took place this time, but he seemed much more confident and knowledgeable in what he was doing. He has only been doing them for a vey short time and I was impressed by how much better the 2nd fill went and how much more he knew. I feel good about continuing to see him, my last appointment was really nice.

What has your experience been with him?

For those of you who may be LDS or who fast for other reasons: do you still fast since the band? I'm just wondering if it causes problems going 24 hours without food. I won't fast tomorrow for sure but I'm wondering about the future. What is your advice?

Karen,

Congrats on reaching the mushy stage! I remember how excited I was! To this day, just the thought of chicken broth makes me want to wretch!

As far as fasting goes, I haven't had any problems going 24 hours without eating.

I'm trying to decide if I should buy the package from SV Surgical for the year maintenance and the support group or no support group. Does anyone attend them, is it helpful? The last time I went was when I first had my band.

Hi Ash...I do go to the support groups and they are ok. I like the medical part with Colleen and Jen the nutritionist the best. Honestly, I get more support and info online. However, it's so nice to meet people in person and have a local connection. My insurance paid for my surgery so I didn't even know there was an option as far chosing to go to the group or not. I thought it was available to everyone. If I had to choose, I would choose to go to the group though.

I'm trying to decide if I should buy the package from SV Surgical for the year maintenance and the support group or no support group. Does anyone attend them, is it helpful? The last time I went was when I first had my band.

Good question! Can't wait to hear the answers. I have my first class in a few weeks. I'll go to the first three but I wonder if I need to take time off work for the classes after that. I'll be anxious to hear what people think. Thanks for asking!

Jessica,

When are the meetings I haven't been for so long I have no clue. I am going to attempt to get a fill on 4/2/07. I'm afraid it will hurt this time, Dr. Hansen just fixed my scar above my port and my tummy is tender. The last fill I got I had to get it out the next day because I could not even keep Water down. Also tell me about this March challenge you are involved in?

Ashlee

Karen how is your dad doing??

Thanks for asking--he's doing quite well. We aren't sure how much he remembers or understands about his condition and that's difficult since he needs to make some decisions. We are going back to the dr. tomorrow to talk about options (mainly surgery to prevent a painful blockage) and that should help to understand exactly what he is thinking. He's very hard of hearing so it's difficult for him to hear us explain things but the doctor seems to be able to communicate better with his low voice.

My mom is showing some very disturbing signs of possible dementia or Alzheimers but it could just be the stress, although she doesn't show that. She's going to the dr. in the morning for some preliminary testing on that.

It should be an interesting day. Thanks for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers. This site (and this particular thread) is such a blessing. xo, karen

I am also seeing Dr. Muse. I was his second fill patient when I went in the first time, but he has done about 40 more since I first went in and it was night and day difference, not just in the fact that my fill actually took place this time, but he seemed much more confident and knowledgeable in what he was doing. He has only been doing them for a vey short time and I was impressed by how much better the 2nd fill went and how much more he knew. I feel good about continuing to see him, my last appointment was really nice.

What has your experience been with him?

My experience with Dr. Muse has been HEAVEN!!! I had so many problems the first 5-6 months first 5 fills. No restriction. NONE. And also no support through my surgeon's office when it came to my feelings about never having restriction and feeling like I have wasted my money. I switched to Dr. Muse when I got his name through Fill Centers USA. My first appt. with him was wonderful. He is super nice and I have had restriction from the fist hour I met him 3 months ago and have lost over 30 lbs living the banded life. I wish I would have switched to him sooner. He does however remind me of a thinner Anthony Hopkins as far as looks go. Bieng a very big Silence of the Lambs fan it makes me a little uneasy!! LOL

Ashlee: I think the next meeting is April 11...but I haven't gotten an e-mail from Vivienne about it yet. I'm going in for a fill on April 2 too! My appt is at 1:30. My March exercise challenge is just something I do with myself...but you're welcome to join me. I try to get in 15 thirty minute exercise sessions each month. Sometimes I go over, sometimes I don't quite make it. :)

Karen: I'm glad your dad is doing better. It sounds like you and your family are under a lot of stress dealing with everything. I hope your mom's test turn out ok...Alzheimers is so difficult. Keep us updated!

Becky: You crack me up with your Hannibal Lector/Dr. Muse reference! :D