Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

QX for DR C RE: Any patient's like me??

Hi Dr. C,

Just wanted to know if you have any patient's like me. I am sooooo tight in the morning that my coffee or warm tea hurts but will finally go if I sip it.

Then lunch is Soup. Egg drop usually goes.

Then by dinner my band is almost too loose and once I get food going it does not really stop me. I just have to make healthier choices in the evening but I can get a serving of meat down (never chicken or dry meat) and 1/2 can of green Beans down without feeling totally satisfied. Then I am hungry a few hours later.

I take Avalide for hypertension and it has a diuretic in it. I can't take it until noon and I still break it up or crush it.

Can you give me any directive on how to handle my band and appetite? I am still getting fills but have had an unfill with every single fill. They usually take 1/2 of the fill back out. I am down to 1.6 cc in there now and still can't get morning liquids down very easily.

I have lost about 45 since my first fill in Jan.

Kay in St Jo Mo

Kay,

Some patients are like that, it can be frustrating. I have some who just can't eat or drink in the morning. There is no easy solution that I know of for this, if any bandster out there knows of one I'd love to hear it.

Dr. C

Kay I am like you....can't eat til around supper time ....actually slime and give it back if I eat "too early"....I cannot eat Breakfast....I drink 4oz of Hot prune juice with Fiber in it...then I can usually have a cheesestick... but sometimes not late morning. Then for lunch sometimes I can eat about 1/3 cup of food....sometimes not! Then for supper I can eat nearly a cup... sometimes I can eat a little more...but am forcing myself not too!!

Hang in there....you are not alone!!!!

God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -89lbs :lol:

There is a good theory about morning tightness, and a plan of action that some swear works. The theory is that morning tightness is caused by Fluid redistribution after laying down all night, and I guess some people's Fluid balances change more slowly than others. These people, who are only able to eat solid food in the evening, are inadvertently making the situation worse by going to bed with food still in their pouches. The tissues can get irritated or swell even a little bit more, making the morning tightness worse than ever. It's a vicious cycle.

The plan of action is, then, to eat less at night even though one is hungrier. Then, in the morning, really make an attempt to get up early, start drinking as soon as possible and have solid food as soon as possible. Even if it's just a Protein bar, get something in early in the morning to get the metabolism going. Eat more during the daytime and once again, try to eat as little as possible in the evening. I'm told a few days of this can help even out the extremes of restriction some people feel through the day.

I find that if I eat more at lunch and less at supper then I am not tight in the morning. It works for me great! I am not nearly as hungry at night doing this, so I also do less snacking too.

Kay,

Some patients are like that, it can be frustrating. I have some who just can't eat or drink in the morning. There is no easy solution that I know of for this, if any bandster out there knows of one I'd love to hear it.

Dr. C

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Last week I had a morning where my saliva would not go. I had to go in for an partial unfill on the 5th and I do follow your advice. You had told me before that you would rather have a patient a little loose than too tight. When the nurse removed some she told me that is good advice. In the practice I go to in KC they have had 4 slips. She said all 4 had been puking/PBing and not telling them how tight they were or how many of these episodes they were having. So less is better. :D

I will try another fill on Nov 01. I am only at 1.6 cc now in a 4 cc band. But if they make it tighter then I am clamped down too much in the a.m. I can't stand not being able to drink. We will keep trying to sneak up on my sweet spot but I think I am just a difficult case.

I will just deal with my issues day to day and I just may have to use the band as a tool in the evening and work harder myself.

Thanks for all you do for us. I think the world of you.

Kay in St Jo Mo

There is a good theory about morning tightness, and a plan of action that some swear works. The theory is that morning tightness is caused by Fluid redistribution after laying down all night, and I guess some people's Fluid balances change more slowly than others. These people, who are only able to eat solid food in the evening, are inadvertently making the situation worse by going to bed with food still in their pouches. The tissues can get irritated or swell even a little bit more, making the morning tightness worse than ever. It's a vicious cycle.

The plan of action is, then, to eat less at night even though one is hungrier. Then, in the morning, really make an attempt to get up early, start drinking as soon as possible and have solid food as soon as possible. Even if it's just a Protein bar, get something in early in the morning to get the metabolism going. Eat more during the daytime and once again, try to eat as little as possible in the evening. I'm told a few days of this can help even out the extremes of restriction some people feel through the day.

I have noticed if I "sleep in" on Saturday for an hour extra then it sets me back on eating dinner at my normal time. If I take a nap then I am really screwed!!!! I wish I could be normal but I guess it is not going to happen. What does happen .............when I can eat at dinner I can actually overeat and just have to tell myself NO. So I am just a difficult case but it is comforting to know others suffer just like me. HAH!

I find that if I eat more at lunch and less at supper then I am not tight in the morning. It works for me great! I am not nearly as hungry at night doing this, so I also do less snacking too.

I can't get more than Soup down at lunch. Believe me If I could get anything solid down at lunch I sure would!! Usually I can't even get crackers down with my soup. I usually do egg drop soup. It is choc full of Protein but also has plenty of FAT :)

Thanks for the hints. I am just a difficult case. :biggrin1:

Your not difficult...you "Dare to be different"!!! :rolleyes: Unfortunately I'm with you sister!!!!

God Bless,

melody

banded 3/20/06 -89lbs :eek: