Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pill swallowing and degree of restriction?

Hi all-

I'm wondering if the ability to swallow pills or big Vitamin tablets could be used as an indicator of degree of restriction?

Do those of you who have good restriction (losing weight, feeling full easily) also have the ability to swallow regular size pills, e.g., aspirin, without the pills getting stuck? How about standard vitamin tablets - much bigger than aspirin? Or do you have to take chewable vitamins or grind up your pills?

I'm trying to figure out whether I need a little more fill - I'm finally losing weight, but it's very slow, and I am able to eat considerably more than many of you - it generally takes a cup of food or more to feel "full", if I'm chewing well enough that nothing gets stuck. However, I'm a little reluctant to get more fill because I currently can just barely swallow a regular vitamin tablet or capsule; that is, I swallow the tablet with a little Water, and it may take 10-15 minutes for it to work its way all the way through the "stoma" where the band is - I can feel it moving through. Then I can take the next tablet. This is an improvement from immediately after my last (5th) fill - for a few weeks, I couldn't swallow any pills whole - had to grind or chew them (and some taste horrible!).

Is the fact that I am indeed still able to swallow a good-size vitamin tablet, albeit slowly, a sign that I could use more fill in order to get the full benefits of the lap band?

Thanks for any feedback,

Julie

I have a similar problem with my Vitamins. I take them in the morning with a Protein Shake and it takes me about 25 minutes to get it all down. There is no way I could get any food down for Breakfast and the vitamins actually fill my stomach. I am not able to eat anything till lunch time and that is if I have been sipping on Water all morning. I am currently at 2.5 cc's and loosing weight very slowly also. I cant imagine getting another fill right now because of how tight I am in the morning. Anyone have any suggestions?

I don't have any fills at all but I have only taken chewable Vitamins (Centrum), sublingual B12 Vitamin that you put under your tongue and liquid forms of any pain meds of any sort. With your fills I believe you could possibly get stoppage from your small stomach to the bottom portion of your stomach. I wouldn't take the chance. Almost everything comes in liquid form now and I think it would be helpful if you guys readjusted your pill swallowing.

Josephine

251/139

Nov. 10, 2005

No Fills - At Goal

I don't have any fills at all but I have only taken chewable Vitamins (Centrum), sublingual B12 Vitamin that you put under your tongue and liquid forms of any pain meds of any sort. With your fills I believe you could possibly get stoppage from your small stomach to the bottom portion of your stomach. I wouldn't take the chance. Almost everything comes in liquid form now and I think it would be helpful if you guys readjusted your pill swallowing.

Josephine

251/139

Nov. 10, 2005

No Fills - At Goal

Hi Josephine - Congratulations on getting to your goal weight! It sounds like you had good restriction without needing a fill? What I'm trying to figure out if "good" restriction essentially means that the opening is small enough that taking pills is not possible (or inadvisable). If that's the case, then I may need a little more fill (to get to where you are without any fill), and to switch over to chewables/liquids.

I have a similar problem with my Vitamins. I take them in the morning with a Protein shake and it takes me about 25 minutes to get it all down. There is no way I could get any food down for breakfast and the Vitamins actually fill my stomach. I am not able to eat anything till lunch time and that is if I have been sipping on Water all morning. I am currently at 2.5 cc's and loosing weight very slowly also. I cant imagine getting another fill right now because of how tight I am in the morning. Anyone have any suggestions?

Hi Hotrod,

I've read a number of people's posts who say they are "tight" in the morning; some say that drinking something warm helps loosen up the band.

I guess a question for both of us is how slowly is "too slowly"? I'm trying to tell myself that the general rule for lapbanders is a weight loss of 1-2 lbs/week. I've been averaging about 1 lb per week, but sure would like to go up to 2 lbs/week. I'm exercising regularly (walking 2 to 2.5 miles/day, 4-5 times/week, plus some strength training...though need more strength training), so it's got to be that I'm still taking in too many calories to lose weight more quickly. So either I need to improve my food choices, which is always a struggle if I'm still feeling hungry/unsatiated, or get more restriction so that I fill up more quickly, and find a way to deal with getting my prescription pills and vitamins down, and remember to chew everything very well.

Actually, your problem of being tight in the morning doesn't sound so bad to me, since staying full a long time on very little is a good thing, isn't it? The main downside is that more fill might make it impossible to take your regular vitamins. Or are you concerned about how hard it will be to eat other foods throughout the day?

Julie

Hootie,

When I was first banded I took Reliv Now Vitamins. Its a powder that I mixed up with Water, sometimes adding it to my shakes. The Vitamins also have 7 grams of Protein. It has great vitamins and stuff in it but it was expensive.

Remembering how much better I felt then, I think I should switch back. If anyone is using them, can you put me in touch with your distributor. Celeste

Hi JulieT,

I just wanted to add that you can buy very good and fairly good tasting liquid vitamins at a health food store. I know my brother swears by them. Just ask someone who works there which brand they think would be best in your situation. I'm sure you can get some good advice from them.

When I have proper fill I am able to take my "premerin" which is a very small oblong pill and also I can take a small capsule like a tylenol and an ibprophen pill. I have fought the battle for a good Vitamin also. Can't stand the chewables or liquid cause I gag from the taste. Actually found a Multivitamin at CVS the other day that is very small bout the size of an ibprophen pill and you take two a day....

If you can barely swallow a pill then you probably don't need a fill and will just cause yourself issues later. I find I can go a month and not lose a pound and I don't think I'm eating much and then all the sudden it will drop 5 lbs. and then I'm stuck again?

Excessive fills can cause reflux or more PB'g which can cause slips....I think some of us just can't handle the real tight restriction as others do.