Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Everything Tastes Weird

At three weeks post op, my tastes have changed. I can't tolerate tastes and textures I once enjoyed. Things are too sweet or just taste off and weird. I don't know it until I taste it. It may be okay one day then taste awful the next. Very frustrating. Any words of encouragement? Thanks

I am just not enjoying eating at all. Sad and frustrated about about how I feel afterward. Still feel yucky and sometimes nauseated too much. Drinking feels uncomfortable too this week. Know this was the right decision. But geez.

I was the same until about week 5 and now everything tastes great again! Hang in there...it does get better.

I'm at 5 weeks today and still having the same issues also. I'm not enjoying eating at all and drinking isn't much better. I'm hoping for that "switch" to flip soon... Very depressing

My tastes have definitely changed. Most things dont really taste all that great and some things i just cant eat.

I was the same until about week 5 and now everything tastes great again! Hang in there...it does get better.

I sure hope so... I know it will but this is just blah.

I was actually enjoying that as it was a deterrent for me. It does, however come back. Anethesia has that effect for a while as well as ketosis. I was happy that chocolate tasted weird to me. Now it tastes as glorious as ever. I don't know whether to be happy about that or not! :lol:

I was actually enjoying that as it was a deterrent for me. It does' date=' however come back. Anethesia has that effect for a while as well as ketosis. I was happy that chocolate tasted weird to me. Now it tastes as glorious as ever. I don't know whether to be happy about that or not! :lol:[/quote']

That is kind of where i am at, except once in awhile when nothing sounds good!

My tastes changed for months....long long months. Almost 6 months. This is a journey and your body is adapting to the new you and your new eating habits. Sometimes ketosis causes changes but is a great stage to lose weight. Don't get discouraged, okay? As others have said...each day gets better.

I love my sleeve and have no regrets.

I remember feeling extremely discouraged about 3 weeks out. Hated the pressure that I felt after eating and how things tasted. I am close to three months out now and things are so much better. I still do not eat much at once and sometimes things still do not taste like they used to taste but I am now able to eat salad (lettuce mostly) and that tastes good to me. It does get better each week that passes. Try not to get down, it really does get better as time passes and your sleeve heals more.

Those early weeks are so challenging in so many different ways. Hang in there, it gets better!!

Your taste buds definitely take a hit! Everything I drank, "'except water" tasted too sweet. food just wasn't the same. I, also see this as a good thing. At around 14 weeks, things started to taste good again. Hang in there!

At three weeks post op' date=' my tastes have changed. I can't tolerate tastes and textures I once enjoyed. Things are too sweet or just taste off and weird. I don't know it until I taste it. It may be okay one day then taste awful the next. Very frustrating. Any words of encouragement? Thanks[/quote']

My story is SO MUCH worse than yours :P ...WINE DOES NOT TASTE GOOD!!!!! Holy pinot noir batman this is some seriously bad side effect! LOL

Good news is that with much practice i am now able to enjoy white wine. I will have to dedicate more time to reds. Much like me, you'll just have to go back and try things again and with much practice, you'll figure out how things are going to work out for your taste buds. Mine are under punishment until they get their palate back :P

You guys are making me smile! Love all of you, thanks! Had dinner and sitting okay. Glad we are on this together and understand. Made 3 lunch options for work tomorrow, just in case.

Things WILL get better. I remember around the 3 week mark thinking "What the heck have I done". I was tired of all the yogurts and liquids and nothing tasted good but yet I was hungry! I am about a month and 1/2 out and have started having more energy, able to eat more and actually feeling full (since I have started solids) I doubt I will ever eat yogurt or sweet things like that again! (I hope not because sweets were my downfall so I am ok with not liking them now)

Chin up, it will get better!!!! Praying that tomorrows lunch works for you! (Good to be prepared!)