Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Asthma And Anesthesia

Hey guys quick question did anyone have a problem coming out of anesthesia and having asthma. i'm getting my surgery date this week and that's something that is concerning me. I've never been in surgery before.

It is not directly related but I did - if you have Asthma talk to your anest. and let them know. They will want to know every single one of your meds, and when you need your rescue inhailor.

I can stress to you, confidently and thoroughly so, that any additional weight you can shed before the surgery will be to your benefit.

I have pretty severe asthma (think max dose of pretty much every med out there severe and I carry a portable neb) - both chronic obstructive and cough variant and I had general anesthesia for my EGD. I carried my rescue inhaler into the OR and explained that I had very severe asthma and it needed to be available immediately when I woke. I didn't have any major problems. I had some minor difficulties when they woke me but it was nothing that my rescue inhaler couldn't handle. I've had worse attacks at home with unknown triggers.

As a fellow asthmatic, I recommend you make sure you take ALL of your asthma meds as usual leading up to surgery and you make sure to carry your rescue inhaler and inform ALL staff that are working with you (especially your surgeon and anesthesiologist) so that everyone is aware in case you have an emergency.

Above all don't worry terribly - you're more likely to have an attack from emotions LOL than the anesthesia - or at least I am :rolleyes: .

BTW - side note... I've been under general anesthesia three times and I've had the chronic obstructive asthma since birth (the cough variant is new after a bout of pneumonia this past winter). This last time was the first time I've ever had any problem and it really was a mild attack.

Thank you so much for you replies I just want to be ready for what's coming no matter what it is :) My asthma is not as bad as before so I only carry my inhalor with me so i'm hoping for the best :)

Before surgery, make your lungs the best they can be. Use allergy meds if allergies are a trigger, clean house a few days early, clean bed. Use all of your inhalers on schedule so your lungs are as clear as possible. Strictly avoid your triggers and sick people prior. They have nebulizer treatments available both pre and post surgery. Most places want you to bring your CPAP face piece and tubing for sleep apnea patients. When you talk to your anesthesiologist, be direct on how severe your asthma is. They'll ask lots of questions. Bring your pulmonologists most recent notes or studies. Prep and communication will make all the difference! Bless you.

Hello

I am an asthmatic too and am scheduled for surgery in Feb. The anesthesiologist has already instructed me to start using an incentive spirometer to strengthen my lungs. Maybe this would be something you would want to do as well?

Take care! :)

Thanks Ladies this is really going to help me prep :)

My sister just got out of surgery and had an asthma flare up due to anesthesia. Her doc said not to worry. They'll get it under control. I'm a bit worried how she is handling it because she is a worrier and may panic. Can't see her cause she still in recovery.

@glitteringgoldparodox I hope you can see her soon and she gets better soon. I got my date yesterday and this was one of the questions I had for my Surgeon he said it will be fine and if there is a flare up it's just like the normal flare ups we normally have so she should be fine give her a big congratulations for beginning her new life :)

@glitteringgoldparodox I hope you can see her soon and she gets better soon. I got my date yesterday and this was one of the questions I had for my Surgeon he said it will be fine and if there is a flare up it's just like the normal flare ups we normally have so she should be fine give her a big congratulations for beginning her new life :)

She is doing good now. Doctor were able to get it under control. She is doing so well that her doctor going to let her go home tomorrow when it was suppose to be for 3 days. I think I'm more excited than she is.

I wanted to add my sister experience with asthma flare up after surgery so others who has it know that it it happens it will be ok. Good luck with your surgery. Hope my sister great outcome relieve any anxiety you may have. Thank u and I'll pass along the good wishes.

She is doing good now. Doctor were able to get it under control. She is doing so well that her doctor going to let her go home tomorrow when it was suppose to be for 3 days. I think I'm more excited than she is.

I wanted to add my sister experience with asthma flare up after surgery so others who has it know that it it happens it will be ok. Good luck with your surgery. Hope my sister great outcome relieve any anxiety you may have. Thank u and I'll pass along the good wishes.

Yes it does thanx for the feed back :)

Good luck! You will be fine. I'm one week Post-op w/manageable asthma but the fall is my worst season. The hospital gave me my usual preventative meds (Claritin and Advair) and I used my inhaler when I felt tight (hard to cough/expectorate so lungs were a little wheezy). CPAP in hospital, machine for home was just delivered yesterday. Fun!! God bless you with a speedy recovery, you'll be great!

Good luck! You will be fine. I'm one week Post-op w/manageable asthma but the fall is my worst season. The hospital gave me my usual preventative meds (Claritin and Advair) and I used my inhaler when I felt tight (hard to cough/expectorate so lungs were a little wheezy). CPAP in hospital, machine for home was just delivered yesterday. Fun!! God bless you with a speedy recovery, you'll be great!

Thanx for the kind words I am very positive that I will be ok God willing my recovery will be speedy as you say :)

Hey guys quick question did anyone have a problem coming out of anesthesia and having asthma. i'm getting my surgery date this week and that's something that is concerning me. I've never been in surgery before.

I just wanted to follow up since I'm 4 days post-op now. I really didn't have any problems with the anesthesia or the surgery. Only problem I had was that the hospital actually did not have all of my meds (as I said, I'm on a lot). They said not to bring any rx meds, but I had mine in my bag just in case (call them my security blanket). Coughing hurt though so I strongly recommend a cough pillow or a surgery pillow (I brought a firm rectangular travel pillow and it helped).