Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Personal opinion only but I have followed 3 people who have had the lap band and more who have had sleeve. Everyone of the bands have failed. One person had to change insurances and they won't pay for fills. All the sleeve people seemed to be doing very well. Good luck in your decision. I am also 5 7 started at 309 and there is no way I could lose what I needed to with the lap band. I debated the bypass for a long time because of my size. Good luck to you and good for you making an informed decision.

Hi,

I just made the decision at my doc's appt last Friday to switch from band to sleeve. I asked both my nutritionist and doctor which procedure they would have done if they were me, and both answered with the sleeve-- citing higher success rate, less complications. I figured if I'm doing wls, I might as well give myself the best possible chance to succeed. Good luck to you and your decision!

My husband and I were banded in 2010. He lost 73 lbs and now has gained about 30 back even though he still has problems eating. I had my band removed in June after losing 24 lbs and gaining 40 back, band was ulcerated, my stomach was perforated, and I was getting recurring pneumonia from aspirating food. My aunt and two friends i work with also have bands and ALL are disappointed with it. I am scheduled for the sleeve on Tuesday and am so excited.

Another thing to think about...the insurance I had with my job only allowed one WLS so I had to go on my husbands insurance to get a second one.

I had a Lapband for 6 years and lost only 44 lbs with it. I was constantly hungry. Went for many fills and either could still eat too much or was so tight I couldn't eat at all and had to go back to have some taken out. I completely agree with what Desertmom posted. The absolute best thing about being Sleeved is not being hungry. I'm 7 months out and have lost 110 lbs now. There really is no comparison between the two. Sadly if I were making the choice today I probably would have still gone with the band since the surgery is less invasive but I now know how wrong I would have been. The sleeve as a stand alone procedure was not an option for me in 2007. I also can't tell you how mentally and emotionally I was damaged by feeling like such a failure with the band. You can make a choice now to learn from those of us who had the band first. Read the revision message board here. There are so many of us. For the first time ever I am confident I will get to my goal which is another 42 lbs away. I feel great and my priority now is fill my time with healthy activities rather than unhealthy eating and binging, and believe me you can still binge with the band.

I wish you all the best and applaud you for researching before making your final decision.

My decision was for the sleeve but after looking at the cost i was leaning towards the band. What really changed my mind was the complications- 2 of my friends have the band one had to have it fixed tge other needs to have it fixed. I wasnt interested really in having control of the fills either plus i was concerned about the port(could i do mma with a port). I have a friend of the fam(like an aunt) who had the sleeve done and another friend that had it done they both recommended it. The reasearch from both sites and in general helped alot in knowing what could be ahead.

I also was in the same situation. My surgeon said he did not want to do the lap band as it is not as good of results and that I would do so much better with the sleeve. I was torn as I did not want to do the bypass as its just to envasive and I am just not comfortable with it. So I picked the middle of the road. I am just waiting on a blood test in end of Nov and then setting a date for the 1st of the year.

Good luck to you :)

I want to thank everyone for all the responces.. I am officially getting the SLEEVE! I called my drs office today to let them know. I just think I will see much better results and now im more excited than ever... Except I still have to wait another 3 months.. but OH WELL!!

I want to thank everyone for all the responces.. I am officially getting the SLEEVE! I called my drs office today to let them know. I just think I will see much better results and now im more excited than ever... Except I still have to wait another 3 months.. but OH WELL!!

Congrats!! :). Welcome!! I had to do a 6 month medically supervised weight loss. I have to say I learned a lot and the time went to real fast!! I hope it does for you as well! Hopefully my papers will be submitted soon!!

Best

Sannah

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Congrats on your choice! I just wanted to let you know that I started at the same weight as you and I am also 5'7. I am only 5 1/2 months out and down 121 lbs. From a tight size 24 to a 16 in no time at all. Your journey is your own and you will lose at your own pace... I wish you as much sucess as I have had!

Congrats on your choice! I just wanted to let you know that I started at the same weight as you and I am also 5'7. I am only 5 1/2 months out and down 121 lbs. From a tight size 24 to a 16 in no time at all. Your journey is your own and you will lose at your own pace... I wish you as much sucess as I have had!

OMGGGGG!!!! I have to ask HOW did you loose so much so fast? I know since im so large and in charge that it till come off a little faster in the beginniing then say someone that is 75 lbs less than myself. But what are you doing, eating, any excersize? Share with me the goods. If i could loose that much that fast.. i would be the happiest non fat person in the world!!

That is incredible. Is all of the 121 since surgery? If not how much has been since you were sleeved?

I thought I was on the high side, losing 85lbs in 15 weeks. Unfortunately I've been stalled for about a month now.

OTR. I can tell in you face man. Good job so far. Just wait cause it gets way better. I noticed my ribs the other day and veins in my hands and the seperation between my bicep and tricep on the inside my arm. Little things but its those little things that count. I was in the mirror shaving my face and I said wtf is that "it was a bump inder my skin on my neck". I went and touched it and it was my adams apple. Hahaha. I never seen it before