Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lactose Intolerant Woes...help 6 Days Out

Hey y'all! Hope everyone is well today, I have a slight dilemma, I NEED another Protein Powder, but one that is soy based because I'm about to throw in the towel with yet another Protein Shake, I like Muscle Milk and nectar Roadside Lemonade. I tried Isopure but it felt like hair was on my tongue when I drank it so that was a no go. The other two, were good, except they cause horrible lactose intolerant symptoms for me and right now, 6 days Post op, gas is not an option for me, I never really complained if I had gas, but now it is not cool, It's so annoying and keeps me from sleeping at night until I pass it. :lol: I've tried chewable lactaid, but for some reason it's not helping. Have any of you tried soy based powders? Do they taste like cardboard like the milk, the only milk I drink is Almond milk. If I have to consume cardboard tasting shakes for a few weeks I can manage until I can eat my Protein, I'm need to make another trip to the store for protein. Thanks y'all :)

The Dr. actually moved me to soft/pureed a little faster than others because I couldn't tolerate the whey or the soy powders/drinks... the almond milk and soy milk make me gag.. so I was getting NO Protein and losing energy quickly... I am just over three weeks out and I eat pretty much anything soft that I can... and am no longer having any problems...

I'm lactose intolerant and allergic to soy. Try to find a Protein that 100% whey protein isolate, it's lactose free. I buy the 5 lb. unflavored NOW 100% Whey Protein Isolate from Swanson for around $52. I add one of those Walmart brand sugar free wild strawberry drink packs to it and it taste great.

@ sue, I will ask my nutritionist tomorrow, I'm scheduled for my one week check up

@Oz I have a protien powder, that says Whey Protein isolate, but it's still making me extremely, painfully gassy, I don't understand it though, because I have been eating some Greek yogurt to help, and as long as I take a lactaid tablet it hasn't bothered me just yet, that's what I've been eating today, alternating yogurt, with Water, and beef broth, so far I still feel fine. I think I may just have to try soy powder with some almond milk. Thanks you all for your help, I'll be so glad when this stage is over....

Hi I am lactose intolerant from surgery and could tolerate Unjury Protein powder..google it for more information. I mixed my shakes up with Light Soy milk ..it had 27 grams of protein for an 8 oz shake when all was done. I am 6 months out and can tolerate small amounts of milk now without having explosive diarrhea within 5 minutes of drinking it. I also enjoy the EAS Advantedge Carb Control..and while it does contain some milk..I don't think it's enough to bother with because I have been drinking it since 1 month out and tolerated it fine.

I used Unjury and Premier prior to my surgery... What my doctor explained is that some people have a allergy to the whey because of the milk sugars that are used to make it... I couldn't use any of the whey Proteins post surgery due to upsetting my stomach... The soy/almond milks are disgusting to me so I actually started drinking chocolate 2% milk... the cocoa actually masks the milk sugars and it doesn't upset my stomach... it helps to increase my Protein intake...

Iam lactose intolerant since surgery. I tried a few different powders and found I need to blend them with frozen berries in order to creat a drinkable drink! I worry about too much soy so I have recently shifted to an egg white powder. It is quite sweet (no sugar added though) and I find the berries and a bit of acidophilus yoghurt blended with it balance the sweetness. I have come to enjoy it.

@Piplula I know now that I cannot tolerate any dairy without gas, the yougurt is giving me gas now, but not as bad as the shake was, and I totally understand what you mean about the explosive diarrhea, LOL I've been there many times on holidays when I just had to have some of my mom's baked mac n cheese.< /p>

@sue yes I'm finding now that I won't be able to drink those any more, I can't handle the gas, it hurts. I like almond milk, soy milk taste like cardboard to me LOL I can't drink chocolate either, it has to be Almond or Soy

@Louise I know what you mean, I really didn't want to go back to soy, definitely don't need the extra hormones. I will wean myself off of this soy after I can eat solid Protein again. My lactose intolerance started right after I had my second daughter, I was so upset because I thought I would never be able to eat Cereal again.

Thanks everyone :) I found another protein powder, its soy, but at least I can get my protein in. I added 8 oz of unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 16 oz of Water, and 2 scoops of Naturade chocolate soy powder, some Torani caramel flavored sugar-free Syrup, shook it in my blender ball bottle, and happy to say I think I'll be resting easy tonight, no more laps in the hallway at 3am LOL. :lol:

Has anyone tried A2 milk? It is a different Protein to regular (A1) milk, and more gentle on stomachs......

I'm really interested in the egg white powder. What is the brand?

Has anyone tried A2 milk? It is a different Protein to regular (A1) milk' date=' and more gentle on stomachs......

I'm really interested in the egg white powder. What is the brand?[/quote']

I live in New Zealand so the brand I use is likely of little use for you. Pure egg white Protein should be much the same everywhere though.

I live in New Zealand so the brand I use is likely of little use for you. Pure egg white Protein should be much the same everywhere though.

I'm in Aus - so there's a possibility :)

I wasn't even aware that egg white powder existed....

I'm in Aus - so there's a possibility :)

I wasn't even aware that egg white powder existed....

Ahhhh. I am so used to most on here being in the US. The brand I get is ZeaLea. No added flavours, sweeteners or colouring and egg white is one of the most bio available Proteins you can digest. High in amino acids etc etc. you should be able to either get it is Aus or ship it from NZ