Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Suggestion-Stop The Obsessing. Rules Are Meant To Be Broken

You are not a nut. Good set of rules to follow. Mine are similar.

It's good to know that I'm not alone, it just all makes sense to me, kind of no brainer. I know me, and if I were to not keep track and all the nit picky stuff I do (for the record, it's like a game to me, one that I'm winning!), I am scared if I had not made these changes, it would be katy barr the door.....and I'd let ten lbs sneak back on me, then another four next year and five the following. You see where I'm going? That is how I ended up having WLS!!!

It's good to know that I'm not alone' date=' it just all makes sense to me, kind of no brainer. I know me, and if I were to not keep track and all the nit picky stuff I do (for the record, it's like a game to me, one that I'm winning!), I am scared if I had not made these changes, it would be katy barr the door.....and I'd let ten lbs sneak back on me, then another four next year and five the following. You see where I'm going? That is how I ended up having WLS!!! [/quote']

I feel the same way. Many people here liken this behavior to being "on a diet." But I say it makes good sense. If this is what we need to do to stay healthy for the rest of our lives then I see no problem with it. If I could stay lean and healthy while eating whatever I wanted and not worrying about it...well hell, sign me up. But it's not going to happen unless I make some real changes because I have some very well ingrained, long standing, unhealthy behaviors.

I reached goal' date=' five lbs under actually.....in six months. My 'rules' were imposed by ME, not the doctor. I strictly followed the program after surgery, the first six weeks, liquids, full liquids, soft food etc. I know that I had all those staples in me and I did not want to risk doing something to cause a leak, I didn't want anything 'lodging' in the staples, whatever CAN happen, I wanted to try and avoid. I am never one to think it can't happen to me....I'm of the mind set "Why not me, I'm not special" LoL

That said, I had myself on a no nonsense diet, nothing sweet, at all, not one thing, for six months. Nothing carbonated, that was the only "RULE" the only "No No" I was given.

Now I'm at goal, I make decisions, choices. Everyone, us former fatties and naturally thin folks, we should all make choices every day forever. That helps us avoid gaining weight, helps us avoid heart disease. I. E. 85% lean hamburger makes a killer tasting hamburger, but meat that is 93% lean is a wiser choice and it is far from yucky!! It's just a wiser choice, that is across the board, for everyone. My husband has a stent, he did not have a heart attack, by the grace of God, but he had a 95% blockage. I learned more than I ever thought I'd need to know for his cardiac dietitian.

More rule I imposed on myself, others might call them rules, I call them my new normal. I weigh or measure my food, every day....when we eat at home. I log my food on line, all of this is fun for me. I do not exercise, so I knew I'd need to make changes I could live with, forever. This is not a diet, it is how I live, forever.

I can't give anyone a list of rules, all I can do is say what has worked for me for almost three years. It's my story and how I do things. I'm sure others would think I'm a nut, but that's ok.[/quote']

I was ASKED what I did to achieve my success. I was not preaching, just trying to share what worked for me just like everyone else here. I was blessed to have great insurance and the benefit of all their costly research and education. Others here, clearly have not been as fortunate. I am sorry if my following my program's rules by CHOICE doesn't sit well with you. All I'm saying is it worked for me and literally hundreds of diets or eating whatever the hell I wanted before, never did! You said you were 5 lbs under your goal, but did not share what that was. Just curious why?

Pussification....heh. I wonder if that is in the urban dictionary.:)

It's a legit word. Was coined by BTLS several years ago.

Ok' date=' I thought all of us, at least everyone that is overweight, has a 'fatty' liver and they have to move it to get to our tummy, and it's easier with a "lean, mean" liver!!! LoL Did I misunderstand??!!![/quote']

No worries! There's a lot TO understand! Not every overweight person has a fatty liver. We are all different. I was actually in amazingly good overall health for my weight. I had surgery because I have sever arthritis in my knees and no matter what I tried I could not get the weight back off. I was tired of living on pain killers and not having any quality of life. I also wanted to avoid the inevitable problems in my future, like fatty liver or diabetes if I didn't get it off. We are truly complicated machines!

super, is successful i think that is forgotten, she might not got to goal your way but guess what she got to goal. thats it and thats all.

I haven't read all the posts and I'm not going too. There is no way I'm taking the advice of someone with no medical training of any kind over my doctor because he has a doctor or nutritionist in his family. I have a pilot in my family but I'm not trying to fly a plane. That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. From the research I've done "Most authors suggest that the major risk factor for gastric leaks is not staple line dehiscence but is due to ischemia [lack of blood flow] in the gastric wall next to the staple line. Classic ischemic fistulas [a fistula is a hole] tend to appear between 5 and 6 days after surgery, when the wall-healing process is between the inflammation and fibrotic phase [your stomach's forming connective tissue to seal over the cut creating a barrier between the cut and the staples]. Mechanical fistulas are usually discovered earlier, within the first 2 days after surgery [6]."

This is actual medical research, not my opinion. After surgery your stomach is inflammed, it's swollen, and it's trying to repair itself. That takes time, thus the need for the liquid and soft food diet. The "Oh eat a piece of pizza right after surgery" mentality is going to stop your healing.

Listen to him if you want, all adults have that right, just know he's not going to be the one cut open for a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th surgery, he's not going to care for your kids, he's not going to pay your hospital bill or your mortgage, and he's not the one that may have a permanent feeding tube if things go wrong.

Successful Management of a Gastric Sleeve Leak with an Endoscopic Stent http://www.hindawi.c...gm/2012/205979/

Has this gotten loud and angry because people choose to eat a treat every once in a while??? My background is in counseling, and that sounds like a personal problem. Plus... a lot of people didn't eat whatever they wanted. YOU did. YOU were undisciplined. A lot simply yo-yo dieted. That takes a certain level of discipline, but can't be maintained forever. If you claim to have been "perfect" and the thought of someone having one taco offends you to your core.....check back with us in 10 years.

Plus... a lot of people didn't eat whatever they wanted. YOU did. YOU were undisciplined. A lot simply yo-yo dieted. That takes a certain level of discipline....

So the yo-yo dieters are disciplined? Why did they need to yo-yo diet in the first place? Was it because they are such savy dieticians?

Sheesh another Johnny come lately showing up to the party months late and then passing a chicken **** generalized judgement on the masses without having the courage to direct it at anyone in particular.

I was ASKED what I did to achieve my success. I was not preaching, just trying to share what worked for me just like everyone else here. I was blessed to have great insurance and the benefit of all their costly research and education. Others here, clearly have not been as fortunate. I am sorry if my following my program's rules by CHOICE doesn't sit well with you. All I'm saying is it worked for me and literally hundreds of diets or eating whatever the hell I wanted before, never did! You said you were 5 lbs under your goal, but did not share what that was. Just curious why?

My physician's goal was 150, which puts me right at a healthy BMI - I think that may be pretty normal with him. I wanted to be at 145, and then I'd have a 5 lb "pad". My body seems to be 'comfortable' here, I go between 144 and 147.5, I've been at this weight for 2 yrs 10 months.

I know what you're saying, all I can do is tell my story, and it is what it is!!

Oh can the ridiculousness just stop?

Be supportive or be quiet.

Don't call someone out on their opinion unless they have addressed you personally. Your anger and self righteous indignation does not impress too many people. Your long winded analysis of another persons mental state is irrelevant. If yours is the only "correct" opinion then keep it to yourself. If you are going to respond in a manner that suggests your educational level is superior then think again.

No one came here to be judged. No one wants to see belittling comments or explanations of Freudian theory.

Wanna call me out on this post? Go ahead. I'm not impressed by you either.

Be polite or just shut up.

My post was clearly about the cursing, bashing, and belittling that many of YOU we're doing to other members. Accusing me of a lack of courage? It was a general statement. Get over yourself. You "vets" haven't been very encouraging, that's for sure. And your anger IS a personal problem. Assuming that someone is beneath you when she lost all of her weight even though she included treats is simply unintelligent. Sorry you are all so angry. Maybe it's the lack of carbs :)

Thank you bombshell. It would just be great if some of the others could possibly grasp what you are saying. Unfortunately I think they may be unable to analyze themselves as well as they can analyze others.

This, exactly. If we all followed the rules in the first place we wouldn't be here, but we chose to NOT FOLLOW the rules and ended up where we had to have a surgery to save our lives.

I think this is true, but since I posted originally here, I must add that I think it's a lot like ethics. If you THINK something is unethical, then IT IS!!!! If you THINK you need to follow 100% of the rules, then YOU DO!! I knew I could have discipline with logic, but I sure get that many should indeed not vary!! I was never one of those. To each their own, for sure!!!

It really doesn't have to be all or nothing. I mean every now and then I have a slice of pizza or half a cheeseburger. That's not going to make me fat again. What would make me fat is if I ate a whole pizza and a whole cheeseburger with fries and coke regularly. But that isn't going to happen because my stomach does not have enough capacity for that. Everyone should lighten up on themselves and on others.