Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Suggestion-Stop The Obsessing. Rules Are Meant To Be Broken

super :) :) your are super cool in my book. you have just said everything i have tried to say but i have a hard time putting things into words. thank you so much for that. OMG thank you for making me realize i am normal. when i planned on having the surgery i no longer wanted to diet, diet, diet no more low carb no more starving myself.. I have always eaten healthy just to much of it. the surgery helps me control my portions and like your yes i enjoy food just like before surgery just cant enjoy like i use to. again your are super for posting this

super :) :) your are super cool in my book. you have just said everything i have tried to say but i have a hard time putting things into words. thank you so much for that. OMG thank you for making me realize i am normal. when i planned on having the surgery i no longer wanted to diet, diet, diet no more low carb no more starving myself.. I have always eaten healthy just to much of it. the surgery helps me control my portions and like your yes i enjoy food just like before surgery just cant enjoy like i use to. again your are super for posting this

I am glad! It took me longer to get to goal than many, but I got there and have maintain now for a year! I knew that I couldn't do a restrictive diet that I would just end up losing it!

Super- how long did it take you to reach goal? I'm sure it will take me over a year to reach goal

It took me 18 months to reach goal with one stall that lasted 3 months! I actually thought I was done losing and I was ok with that. I have always really struggled with my weight, since Kindergarten, so I wasn't surprised it took me longer. In the back of my head, I really never expected to get to goal, so when I did there was a lot of happy dancing! Because it took me longer and I really forced me to make the changes that I needed to make to get there.

super thanks again, ive been researching and because i am pear shaped i have a lot of substantial fat if i spelled it right. it takes way longer to burn off than lets say a rounder person meaning the apple shape who carry most of thier weight in the upper regieon, i noteced my top half is really small but the bottom has not caught up. i am at peace now knowing about your story its just goingto take me longer than 6 months to reach goal.

Neilsleeve, nail on the head my friend, nail on the head! I feel the exact same way and am approacing the "diet" thing the exact same way. If I want it, I eat it...just WAY LESS! I am 2 months out, eat just about anything I want when I want it. If I am craving something, I will take a bite or two, it satisfies me, then stop eating it because I am not hungry for it anymore. Did I take in 20-30 extra calories, probably....is it going to hurt me, absolutely not, in fact, I will burn off 20 times that when I ride my bike or go play with my daughter, or go do something physical that I couldn't do previously. It is all about using your head, staying diciplined, and living your life, not deprivation. I am not going to spend my life being terrified of food!

"Nail on the head, nail on the head!" I like that part, lol...

I'm just a little past 6wks out, and I too believe that what is best FOR ME is to learn & pay attention to my own body to see what it wants, likes, and also needs. I eat what feels good/goes down well but try to make the best nutritional choices. I thought one day I would try the Doritos Locos Supreme Taco & it went down great...the whole thing! I enjoyed every bite. Yummy! For the record, I think the original is better than the Cool Ranch, LOL. Anyway, I love eating Wendy's chili, and I like it sweet, so I put splenda in it. Before I had surgery, I prayed (seriously, I did) "God please let me be one of the people that can tolerate almost anything", and he answered my prayers. Yes, I've not tried Pasta, bread, or rice yet, so the jury is still out on that. I do well with veggies (only tried canned & also fresh lettuce & spinach), fresh fruit, chicken, beef, pork (sausage), Beans, low fat tortillas, crunchy tacos, eggs, well...you get the point. Right now I'm craving a low fat frozen yogurt smoothie. I just need to count my coins, lol. Best wishes to all of you. Enjoy this journey & live....LIVE...LOVE...LAUGH...ENJOY. LIfe is truly a gift from God above. He wants us to enjoy it.

mysleeve i can eat everything also. but potatos and rice fill me up very very fast so i stay away from those it hurts makes it feel like my first day out lol

Thank You Super for replying :) This gives me and I'm sure other slow losers hope that we can still reach goal.

There is actually a thread, I think under the Veterns forum called slow losers at or near goal, something like that, if you are needing inspiration!

I am14 months out and have lost 104% of my excess weight after being told that it was only possible to lose 55-75% with a sleeve. How did I do it? Quite simply. By FOLLOWING THE RULES!! I think that says it all!! = D

Melodymouse ... That I so impressive !! What were the rules you followed to get you where you are ?

I think it's funny people are posting about eating complete shitty junk food and saying they don't have to follow the rules. Good job! Wish I could eat food completely devoid of any usable nutrition and be ok with it...wait I can but choose not to because medical professionals told me that's what makes me fat in the first place and I had a very serious, very expensive surgery to make me not as fat anymore. Jesus Christ.

I am14 months out and have lost 104% of my excess weight after being told that it was only possible to lose 55-75% with a sleeve. How did I do it? Quite simply. By FOLLOWING THE RULES!! I think that says it all!! = D

This, exactly. If we all followed the rules in the first place we wouldn't be here, but we chose to NOT FOLLOW the rules and ended up where we had to have a surgery to save our lives.

I think it's funny people are posting about eating complete shitty junk food and saying they don't have to follow the rules. Good job! Wish I could eat food completely devoid of any usable nutrition and be ok with it...wait I can but choose not to because medical professionals told me that's what makes me fat in the first place and I had a very serious, very expensive surgery to make me not as fat anymore. Jesus Christ.

I worry because people misconstrue what I am trying to say. They see that I didn't track and I didn't watch carbs (mainly because I believe in healthy carbs like fruit and quinoa), and they fail to read the part about that I made massive changes to how and what I ate, cut out the junk, and still follow certain rules to this day. I do not promote eating whatever you want, and I always say that you need to work with the sleeve to be successful. It doesn't mean you can't ever have anything that would be considered "junk", but it does mean you can only have it once in a while (meaning once a month, not a few times a week).

Like I said in my post, you CAN NOT go into this surgery thinking you will make no changes and the sleeve will help me because I can eat less. Nope, sorry, you will fail and you will either never reach goal or start regaining.