Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Suggestion-Stop The Obsessing. Rules Are Meant To Be Broken

I always make sure my offensive language will get bleeped out by the ******* filters. So if I say ****, or **** or heaven forbid ****-** it won't offend too many people.

LoL Butterthebean - It would seem that I'm an equal opportunity offender. I don't even have to type a bad word. :)

I always make sure my offensive language will get bleeped out by the ******* filters. So if I say ****' date=' or **** or heaven forbid ****-** it won't offend too many people.[/quote']

I did not find any of that language offensive, but O.T.R.'s profile pic., well that's another matter!

I did not find any of that language offensive' date=' but O.T.R.'s profile pic., well that's another matter![/quote']

Girl!! Lol!! Especially when it's above staring down at you!

Ok Neil I swear I won't ruin your thread again!

I'm outta here :P

I'm curious how much of the originals wieght was lost the 1st 90 days. I had mine done about the same time as he did and have similar results. Although all but 5 pounds were lost the 1st 90 days and the 5 lost since then were due to food poisioning from a baconator that gave me the poops for 2 weeks solid. I felt like the rules were being over done and I did nothing by the book. I ate popeys the day before surgery, only rule followed was not to drink anything after midnight the night before. Surgeon said I was one of the most easy guys he has ever done. Post op was able to chug 3 oz of Water but not able to eat much, although i did eat solids really soon after. I think I might have stretched my self out. I can eat half a large pizza, had 3 donuts saturday. Prolly eating 3000 plus calories a day much like pre op. So no wonder I am no longer losing wieght. In fact I fear gaining some back.

Point is you don't have to follow the rules, but doing so is wise. 2 girls that I work with follow rules better and were done after me and have both lost 90 pounds already. So it depends on what results you want. I want to lose more but also love junk food. Need to change my mindset.

I am not going to continue the debate about rules. Other than to say, I was sleeved on 2/19, I followed the rules and I am now 50 lbs lighter. That worked for me, but to each their own.

LMAO. Laura' date=' still running from thread to thread keeping everyone under control. Must be so exhausting for you.[/quote']

It is her daily exercise :) just pulling your leg Laura ( my friend)...

I'm curious how much of the originals wieght was lost the 1st 90 days. I had mine done about the same time as he did and have similar results. Although all but 5 pounds were lost the 1st 90 days and the 5 lost since then were due to food poisioning from a baconator that gave me the poops for 2 weeks solid. I felt like the rules were being over done and I did nothing by the book. I ate popeys the day before surgery' date=' only rule followed was not to drink anything after midnight the night before. Surgeon said I was one of the most easy guys he has ever done. Post op was able to chug 3 oz of Water but not able to eat much, although i did eat solids really soon after. I think I might have stretched my self out. I can eat half a large pizza, had 3 donuts saturday. Prolly eating 3000 plus calories a day much like pre op. So no wonder I am no longer losing wieght. In fact I fear gaining some back. [/sup']

Point is you don't have to follow the rules, but doing so is wise. 2 girls that I work with follow rules better and were done after me and have both lost 90 pounds already. So it depends on what results you want. I want to lose more but also love junk food. Need to change my mindset.

Are you really eating all those foods as a post op or just being fatecious?

I really think I must have stretched my stomach because I really can eat a lot. After reading stories pre op I am rather shocked at what I can pack away. The first few months post op I paid less attention to self control as I figure the limitations from the surgery would replace self control. Now I am finding I can eat as much again (maybe not as quickly) as I could pre op. I do wonder if the doctor didn't cut out as much as other patients since I wasn't super fat. I had to gain 15 lbs to get big enough to have insurance to help pay for it. Doctor said he took 50 to 60% off my stomach and have heard other people say it is size of an ink pen which can't be the case for me.

I haven't read all the posts and I'm not going too. There is no way I'm taking the advice of someone with no medical training of any kind over my doctor because he has a doctor or nutritionist in his family. I have a pilot in my family but I'm not trying to fly a plane. That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. From the research I've done "Most authors suggest that the major risk factor for gastric leaks is not staple line dehiscence but is due to ischemia [lack of blood flow] in the gastric wall next to the staple line. Classic ischemic fistulas [a fistula is a hole] tend to appear between 5 and 6 days after surgery' date=' when the wall-healing process is between the inflammation and fibrotic phase [your stomach's forming connective tissue to seal over the cut creating a barrier between the cut and the staples']. Mechanical fistulas are usually discovered earlier, within the first 2 days after surgery [6]."

This is actual medical research, not my opinion. After surgery your stomach is inflammed, it's swollen, and it's trying to repair itself. That takes time, thus the need for the liquid and soft food diet. The "Oh eat a piece of pizza right after surgery" mentality is going to stop your healing.

Listen to him if you want, all adults have that right, just know he's not going to be the one cut open for a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th surgery, he's not going to care for your kids, he's not going to pay your hospital bill or your mortgage, and he's not the one that may have a permanent feeding tube if things go wrong.

Successful Management of a Gastric Sleeve Leak with an Endoscopic Stent http://www.hindawi.c...gm/2012/205979/

Thanks for citing your post. That is a very interesting website!!

I KNOW PPL who followed everything like they were suppose to and are still losing very slowly. everyones body is differant. for example myself i am pear shaped and my upper body loses way before the lower half catches up. i looked at my face and neck today and they were so damn skinny, looked at the lower half and was like wow. see i did my research and i have a lot of substantal fat which is the most stubborn. a lot of ppl who loses really fast, well they are heavier on top. ie men. so yes they will lose way more faster. and the women that are heavier on top also. i am a slow loser but i have not gained any weight either. and yes it might take me 12-18 months to get to goal but guess what i will get there, maybe not in 6 months like most ppl here. but i also would like to see those ppl down the road.

I really think I must have stretched my stomach because I really can eat a lot. After reading stories pre op I am rather shocked at what I can pack away. The first few months post op I paid less attention to self control as I figure the limitations from the surgery would replace self control. Now I am finding I can eat as much again (maybe not as quickly) as I could pre op. I do wonder if the doctor didn't cut out as much as other patients since I wasn't super fat. I had to gain 15 lbs to get big enough to have insurance to help pay for it. Doctor said he took 50 to 60% off my stomach and have heard other people say it is size of an ink pen which can't be the case for me.

You might be right. If your surgeon only removed about 1/2 of your stomach then a considerable amount of fundus had to be left behind. I would be highly upset if this were the case. IMO leaving fundus behind is bad practice because it is easily stretched. This is what is so great about the sleeve, when done correctly, it is nearly impossible to stretch.

You might be right. If your surgeon only removed about 1/2 of your stomach then a considerable amount of fundus had to be left behind. I would be highly upset if this were the case. IMO leaving fundus behind is bad practice because it is easily stretched. This is what is so great about the sleeve, when done correctly, it is nearly impossible to stretch.

Maybe you can answer this question that has had me worried for almost 3 years now! Can we stretch out our new little tummys? You say near impossible, is that accurate? It seems to me like we'd have to really work at it, but never the less, the times I've eaten too much, where I feel Thanksgiving stuffed...you know, that HORRIBLE feeling.....I still worry. It is ALWAYS when we've been eating out. When I'm home i weigh/measure my food, when out, I "eyeball" it, which is not quite as easy, especially when visiting with others. I don't get hungry so I really don't feel full like I use to, just all of a sudden I've had one or two bites too many, and boy do I regret it. Those are the times when I wonder, did I stretch my stomach!!???!!!

Ok....if it is nearly impossible to do damage like that, HOW do people regain? How do you gain weight without stretching your stomach?? That is my question I guess, how do they gain? I know you can drink your calories and we could drink 2500 calories per day, maybe more...via alchol, milkshakes and soft drinks, but our tummy, how would that affect the size??

I will never stop thinking about this. I don't obsess, but it certainly crosses my mind.

Maybe you can answer this question that has had me worried for almost 3 years now! Can we stretch out our new little tummys? You say near impossible, is that accurate? It seems to me like we'd have to really work at it, but never the less, the times I've eaten too much, where I feel Thanksgiving stuffed...you know, that HORRIBLE feeling.....I still worry. It is ALWAYS when we've been eating out. When I'm home i weigh/measure my food, when out, I "eyeball" it, which is not quite as easy, especially when visiting with others. I don't get hungry so I really don't feel full like I use to, just all of a sudden I've had one or two bites too many, and boy do I regret it. Those are the times when I wonder, did I stretch my stomach!!???!!!

Ok....if it is nearly impossible to do damage like that, HOW do people regain? How do you gain weight without stretching your stomach?? That is my question I guess, how do they gain? I know you can drink your calories and we could drink 2500 calories per day, maybe more...via alchol, milkshakes and soft drinks, but our tummy, how would that affect the size??

I will never stop thinking about this. I don't obsess, but it certainly crosses my mind.

My surgeon told me that you can not stretch out your new tummy. Like OTR said, the part they remove (which should be about 85%) is very stretchy. They portion left behind is very muscular and stretches very little. So the people that regain are the people that, you are right, drink a lot of calories and eat a lot of slider foods that are high in calories (think chips, crackers, movie popcorn). I am 2.5 years post op and have to be diligent about what I eat. If I start eating too much crappy foods, I can gain very quickly. I know I will always have to be aware of what I am eating for a lifetime, that is reality. But it is not so bad! I know I can enjoy a small ice cream with my kids and not gain weight, but I can't keep chips and junk around in the house, or I would gain. I always say, set up your environment so that you can succeed!

My surgeon told me that you can not stretch out your new tummy. Like OTR said, the part they remove (which should be about 85%) is very stretchy. They portion left behind is very muscular and stretches very little. So the people that regain are the people that, you are right, drink a lot of calories and eat a lot of slider foods that are high in calories (think chips, crackers, movie popcorn). I am 2.5 years post op and have to be diligent about what I eat. If I start eating too much crappy foods, I can gain very quickly. I know I will always have to be aware of what I am eating for a lifetime, that is reality. But it is not so bad! I know I can enjoy a small ice cream with my kids and not gain weight, but I can't keep chips and junk around in the house, or I would gain. I always say, set up your environment so that you can succeed!

Yay, you are right behind me!!! I had surgery in June 2010! I agree with you 100%, set up our enviroment for success! It is easier since we have an empty nest and my husband had a 95% blockage....and had to have a stent put in, this was about 14 months before my surgery, so our life changed a lot at that time! Chips, Cookies all those things with partially hydrogenated oils in them....gone! If it's not here, we can't eat it, right??!!! Like you, I can go to Braum's (love them!) and have a jr. dip on a cone and I'm fine, I probably do this twice a month. It does not affect me, I just adjust. Also like you, I find I can gain quickly, but I think that's always been the case, I just did NOT pay attention to a few pounds pre op!!! Not like I should have been doing. Anyway, over Christmas, and this was a first....I gained six lbs. I watched it go up, because I weigh daily, but usually I'll go up a lb or two and then the next day or day ofter, I'm back down. I go between 145 and 147 and that is normal for me. I got up to 150 and knew I needed to cut my calories back to 1100 - 1200 and up my Protein. Less than a month later I was back down and stayed down to my normal range. Again, like you, I must be, I AM diligent about the amount I eat. I eat normally and I do not ever feel deprived, but I am aware of every single thing I put in my mouth. Thanks for posting, I'm really excited when I run across someone who is over 2 years out!! Congratulations!!!