Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tax Itemization

So if I go to Mexico and have this procedure done, and I itemize my medical which I normally don't can I use the procedure even though it was not done in the us?

From what I have been told, yes you can. I'm going to be sure to talk to my tax guy when I file this year.

I read this article, http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/03/01/health/main603233.shtml

It does not stipulate that you had to pay for services in the US. I found this pretty interesting as I never even factored in being able to deduct some costs associated with WLS.

Yes you can, as long as you can prove (if an audit occurs) that it was medically necessary, and not just a cosmetic procedure! IRS publication 502 might be helpful!

Yes you can' date=' as long as you can prove (if an audit occurs) that it was medically necessary, and not just a cosmetic procedure! IRS publication 502 might be helpful![/quote']

Now that's interesting, I feel it's medically necessary hope the IRS does too! Cuz I will claim that sucka on my taxes.

Yes you can. The whole amount will not be deducted only a certain percentage depending on your income. You can also deduct your travel expenses and any meds if you decide to purchase any in Mexico.

Great new..I need as many deductions as I can get.

I WILL claim mine FOR sure :)

Stupid question... But when you claim it on your taxes, what happens? Do you get more back in your refund or something? I have no deductions normally, or children to claim or anything like that, if that matters to the answer

Stupid question... But when you claim it on your taxes, what happens? Do you get more back in your refund or something? I have no deductions normally, or children to claim or anything like that, if that matters to the answer

In order to claim it on your taxes you have to itemize. If you don't itemize, which it sounds like you don't, then you can't claim the surgery or any other medical or dental bills. Depending on your income and if you owe anything you can get more back in a refund but if you owe taxes the amount itemized is deducted and brings down the amount you owe. Again, there are tax laws with this deduction and most people can't deduct the whole amount of the surgery, it is a percentage that is deducted.

Anything over 7.2% of your income is deductible when it comes to your medical expenses. I deducted the whole thing last year.

Hate to break the news...but if you get this done out of country....you can't deduct.

• I can't deduct interest paid on mortgage interest paid outside US.
  • I can't deduct sales tax paid outside of US.
  • I can't deduct medical procedures done outside of US.

Go ahead, play with the IRS. See who wins.

Good news is the benefits outweigh any tax deduction.

Hate to break the news...but if you get this done out of country....you can't deduct.

[*]I can't deduct interest paid on mortgage interest paid outside US.

[*]I can't deduct sales tax paid outside of US.

[*]I can't deduct medical procedures done outside of US.

Go ahead' date=' play with the IRS. See who wins.

Good news is the benefits outweigh any tax deduction.[/quote']

Play with the IRS and see who wins?? Really ...it was question no one was talking about breaking the law it was a question if it was possible. But thanks for the information.

Get the facts from a accountant because:

A... You simply have to prove the medical necessity of having it.ie.the treatment of obesity or other co-morbitities.

B... I also do not believe that you have to have had the procedure done stateside to claim it.

C... According to the IRS website, http://www.irs.gov/publications/p502/ar02.html#en_US_publink1000178862 You can deduct a portion of the travel...

Thank u to everyone who has repliedi will def get the facts before filing.